What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I HOPE DH's truck rides "truckier". :LOL: I actually haven't driven the others yet. But I had better get on it once we get home. You see, when you let them play with the puppy...

Looks like Loverly will be keeping Sally from the sounds of it. So far she has had two guy friends tell her that she should quit being so stubborn and acting like an a** and graciously thank her parents for the generous offer of just taking the car. I LIKE these friends! She's a good kid, she works hard, she deserves a break once in a while. I think we've convinced her that taking our car no strings attached will make US happy...and doesn't she want us to be happy??? (Oh yeah, I can pack up a kid's suitcase for guilt trip if I have to :ROFLMAO: )

Wow, Andy, 13"! I have no idea what we had in our drive, but most prediction maps had us in the "12-18 inch" zone. OH looks almost tropical right now - if 6 inches of snow in our last snowstorm with sub-20 temperatures can be called "tropical".

Lydia, nice to see you're getting a bit of fame. Hopefully some measure of fortune will follow!

*sigh* Loverly's car is old and needs a new...heart? Let's just say that the one good part left in her engine is the block. :( Her mechanic told her to park it and junk it. She's known for a while that she should be replacing "Pops" since he's 133,000 miles old, so I've been half-heartedly looking around in case she wanted one of our cars. Apparently Pops didn't know he was supposed to hang on for a few more months. No matter what her final decision is, we'll be getting a rental to take back when we return to MA next week. We have offered her the following options now that it's crunch time: 1) She uses Sally for the next month or so and looks around for something she would like to buy. 2) She takes Himself's older (2008 Mercury Milan, 102,000 miles). If that's the case, we drive back to OH to swap cars when weather improves. 3) She keeps Sally (2012 Hyundai Sonata, 73,000 miles - but it was recalled for an engine problem so the engine is about 21,000 miles "old") we'll mail her the title when we get back home. She's insisting that if she decides to go that way, she IS buying it from us at trade-in value. We'll see. :whistling:

I really don't like car shopping. It comes in third behind shoe shopping and clothes shopping. The sacrifices we make for our kids. :LOL: Well...I have been saying it might be time to put our older bones into a higher vehicle again. I miss my old van, but we'll be looking at (used) compact SUVs. Right now I'm favoring Toyota's RAV-4 or Subaru's Forester. Any thoughts? Or other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Subaru used to send me a lot of press cars when I was working full-time for a car magazine. Subaru's all-wheel drive system is one of the best, after Audi's, of course. It is a really good system for rain and snow. I would lean that way, myself, especially where you live.

CD

Last edited:
I just got my Ford truck and Acura TL fixed, bit boy did I want to buy a new Subaru Crosstrek.

It's one of the few, low cost cars that you can still buy with a manual transmission. I really don't understand why more people don't want to drive stick. You can get better gas mileage with a 4 or small 6 cylinder, and on the occasional time you need more power, you can always just downshift.

Maybe next year.

We finally got our insurance check, got a 2005 Ford F-150 pickup, white. Body in good shape. Drives well and I am not on foot. Happy!

Congratulations!

You'll have a lot of new friends for the next couple of months.

You will be amazed at how many people have a basement filled with rusty appliances, a garage filled with old furniture and the need for a friend with a truck to make a quick trip to the Home Depot!

You will also find yourself slamming on the brakes in front of any interesting looking pile of stuff that you see on the curb! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Have fun!!!

Congratulations!

You'll have a lot of new friends for the next couple of months.

You will be amazed at how many people have a basement filled with rusty appliances, a garage filled with old furniture and the need for a friend with a truck to make a quick trip to the Home Depot!

You will also find yourself slamming on the brakes in front of any interesting looking pile of stuff that you see on the curb! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Have fun!!!

This is pickup country! Everyone has one and now I do too!

Thanks!

CG, for what it's worth, I love my new 2017 Mazda SUV crossover. Whatever you get, the Radar Cruise Control is the best thing since the automatic transmission..no kidding! I don't know how many cars have it but that's how you should start your search in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, Kay. But you've now added another brand to look at! :LOL: I really limit looking around to the smallest amount it takes. I'll probably re-visit the Ford Escape because the "ride" might feel different than it did 4 or so years ago. I probably will road test a Subaru Forester and/or a Toyata RAV-4 just because I know they are reliable. But I keep thinking back to how nice the Hyundai Santa Fe was to ride in and drive when it was my 2-week loaner at the time Sally was getting her new "heart" (engine). I've already looked at the used ones available at the Hyundai dealership nearest to us; looks like they have five that might be possibilities. I might just make it easy on myself and take home the puppy that I've already played with.:ROFLMAO:

I did say that I hate shopping for a car, right?...

Here's another thought CG. SC got his very low mileage 2yr old Hyundai at Hurtz rent a car. He went online, found what he wanted and they delivered it to our local Hurtz.
No muss no fuss, easy peasy. Got it for a great price too.

CG, so you're looking for a small SUV. We really like the Honda CR-V. We've had three over the years and have been pleased wit their performance and durability.

Good luck with your shopping.

Wow, Andy, 13"! I have no idea what we had in our drive, but most prediction maps had us in the "12-18 inch" zone. OH looks almost tropical right now - if 6 inches of snow in our last snowstorm with sub-20 temperatures can be called "tropical".

Lydia, nice to see you're getting a bit of fame. Hopefully some measure of fortune will follow!

I really don't like car shopping. It comes in third behind shoe shopping and clothes shopping. The sacrifices we make for our kids. :LOL: Well...I have been saying it might be time to put our older bones into a higher vehicle again. I miss my old van, but we'll be looking at (used) compact SUVs. Right now I'm favoring Toyota's RAV-4 or Subaru's Forester. Any thoughts? Or other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

A little over a year ago I decided to replace my 17 year old Nissan, mainly because I now need an all wheel drive vehicle, living in the mountains. After much research, I bought a 2016 Subaru Forester XT. The XT was because it was the only 2016 Subaru left on the lot in October. It's not small and quite peppy because it has a turbo something under the hood. I love it, it drives quite responsively, has an Intelligent tracking system for stupid winter drivers, is very comfortable.. The only thing I do not like is it only gets 24 mpg.

Sounds interesting, Kay. But you've now added another brand to look at! :LOL: I really limit looking around to the smallest amount it takes. I'll probably re-visit the Ford Escape because the "ride" might feel different than it did 4 or so years ago. I probably will road test a Subaru Forester and/or a Toyata RAV-4 just because I know they are reliable. But I keep thinking back to how nice the Hyundai Santa Fe was to ride in and drive when it was my 2-week loaner at the time Sally was getting her new "heart" (engine). I've already looked at the used ones available at the Hyundai dealership nearest to us; looks like they have five that might be possibilities. I might just make it easy on myself and take home the puppy that I've already played with.:ROFLMAO:

I did say that I hate shopping for a car, right?...

FYI. Hyundai and KIA are the same company. Their products look different, but they are the same products, built at the same factories. I tend to like the looks of the KIA products a little better, for the most part, but underneath, they are the same. The KIA Sorento would be the same as the Hyundai SantaFe.

So, if looking at pre-owned vehicles, adding the Sorento to the SantaFe would expand your "inventory."

CD

A little over a year ago I decided to replace my 17 year old Nissan, mainly because I now need an all wheel drive vehicle, living in the mountains. After much research, I bought a 2016 Subaru Forester XT. The XT was because it was the only 2016 Subaru left on the lot in October. It's not small and quite peppy because it has a turbo something under the hood. I love it, it drives quite responsively, has an Intelligent tracking system for stupid winter drivers, is very comfortable.. The only thing I do not like is it only gets 24 mpg.

Subaru uses horizontally opposed "boxer" engines with turbochargers. Porsche uses similar engines. They have good power, but are not the most fuel efficient engines you can get. But, the power, and the really good AWD system make up for the fuel economy, IMO.

The Ford Escape with the EcoBoost engine has a turbocharged engine. Turbos are getting very common these days, as they get more power out of smaller, more fuel-efficient engines. Turbo four-cylinder engines are replacing V6 engines in many cars. My MINI CooperS has a turbocharger. It is very quick, and gets 30mpg average around Dallas.

CD

I can't list car shopping since I don't drive, but I am right there behind you with the clothes and shoe shopping. I take a 4.5 wide shoe. What a nightmare trying to find a pair in my size. And standing only 4'6" tall, every stitch of clothing I buy, I have to have hemmed. Even have to have the arms of long sleeves shortened. Fortunately for me, I took sewing in the 7th and 8th grade. So I can do my own altering.

Addie, at 4' 6" tall, you could put a neckline and armholes into a pretty pillowcase, add a nice belt, and call it a dress. Don't even need to buy a king-size case. ;)

FYI. Hyundai and KIA are the same company...
So, if looking at pre-owned vehicles, adding the Sorento to the SantaFe would expand your "inventory."
Dear man, I'm not looking to expand my shopping, I want to contract it! :LOL: And I already knew the Hyundai/Kia thing. I may be female, but I'm not a "girl" when it comes to cars. And I'm a much better shopper/wheeler-dealer than my dear hubby. I'm going out alone this time.

We picked up our rental Monday afternoon. Online they promoted "Toyota RAV4", but the small print reminded you that you could end up with a similar car. Harrumph, I wouldn't call a Chevy Trax similar to a RAV4. :glare: Wasn't on my list of models to test-drive. After sitting in it and traveling all of about one mile, I realized it's going to be a looooonnngggg ride from OH to MA. Danged thing rides like a truck and the seats feel like 1960's molded plastic cafeteria chairs. Since a week's rental cost the same as a 4-day rental (which is how many days we needed it for), I'm going to try and sweet-talk the clerk at our local Enterprise to see if I could swap cars for the remaining three days. Probably ain't gonna happen, though. *sigh*

Cold and Icy morning and I am going to brave the elements and get the kid to daycare. I'm happy we have cheap daycare, 25 dollar per months and she get time her friends and organic and fare trade dinners ( this area is eco nuts).

Dear man, I'm not looking to expand my shopping, I want to contract it! :LOL: And I already knew the Hyundai/Kia thing. I may be female, but I'm not a "girl" when it comes to cars. And I'm a much better shopper/wheeler-dealer than my dear hubby. I'm going out alone this time.

We picked up our rental Monday afternoon. Online they promoted "Toyota RAV4", but the small print reminded you that you could end up with a similar car. Harrumph, I wouldn't call a Chevy Trax similar to a RAV4. :glare: Wasn't on my list of models to test-drive. After sitting in it and traveling all of about one mile, I realized it's going to be a looooonnngggg ride from OH to MA. Danged thing rides like a truck and the seats feel like 1960's molded plastic cafeteria chairs. Since a week's rental cost the same as a 4-day rental (which is how many days we needed it for), I'm going to try and sweet-talk the clerk at our local Enterprise to see if I could swap cars for the remaining three days. Probably ain't gonna happen, though. *sigh*

Dear woman, most MEN don't know Jack about cars, so I was not making a sexist remark. :glare:

Yeah, the Chevy Trax is a POS, from my own personal experience. I completely agree with your assessment of that vehicle. I'm not a huge fan of the RAV4, either.

I do like the Kia Sportage, especially with the 2.0 Turbo and AWD. Roughly the same size as the Trax, but much, much better.

For rentals, I prefer Hertz, myself. With all the traveling I do, I get to pick my car from the "Five Star Gold" rows. That gives me a chance to try new things. I usually have at least 20 cars to choose from. I'm kind of partial to Ford Fusion hybrids, and the KIA Sportage I already mentioned. Next week in Scottsdale, my ride will be a Mercedes C-Class, for the price of a Malibu. Points. :cool:

I'm not a fan of Enterprise. When I rent cars for 100-plus days a year, I expect preferential treatment. From my own experience, they don't seem to agree.

CD

Last edited:
CD, I didn't take your remark as sexist. I just thought you were picking on me. ? I walked home from school most nice days from around 1963 through May 1969. I studied car styles and brands and could tell you what make, model, and year a car was and be right almost all of the time. Then again, those were the days of distinctive styles. Now they pretty much all look alike.

Re: rentals. This was a sudden need, so we went with price. Our last rental was spring of 2014 when Sally almost sprung a leak after her engine had been replaced (Sonata engine recall). That one was through Enterprise and everything went smoothly. Other than that, no car rentals since the mid-2000s by Himself. Anything from that time or longer were business cars. Himself would see which company gave him the nicest vehicle in his $$ range. He'd usually end up picking between Avis and Hertz, both on his company's list. He was nowhere near the status you have with Hertz. ?

Back
Top Bottom