What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's auction week in Scottsdale. I was at the Worldwide Auctioneers auction today. I got to video a piece of history... infamous history. It is a 1939 Mercedes-Benz that was Adolf Hitler's parade car.

It didn't reach the reserve price, so it didn't sell -- yet. They will quite possibly sell it after the auction. That is not unusual.

The picture below is a video frame capture, so it is going to look kind of rough.

Tomorrow I'm going to Barrett-Jackson and RM-Sothby's.

CD

Attachments

• HitMerc.jpg
    HitMerc.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Or, if you prefer to buy American, here is a nice, low milage Dodge you might be interested in... and it is a convertible. Perfect for weekends on Cape Cod. Oh, I hope you can drive a stick.

CD

Attachments

• DodgeHemi.jpg
    DodgeHemi.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 121
Or, if you prefer to buy American, here is a nice, low milage Dodge you might be interested in... and it is a convertible. Perfect for weekends on Cape Cod. Oh, I hope you can drive a stick.

CD

All my kids learned on standard. And for years they bought standard. It cost less. Now standard cost more and the automatic is the standard price. Pirate and Spike still will drive only standard.

I, unabashedly, am envious...

I would love to go to a B-J or Mecum Auction, on the first or second day, with enough money to purchase one of the affordable 30's thru 50's restored American classics.. :)

A $100,000.00 windfall in my checking account would be nice.. ;)

Ross

First car was a stick! When I bought my VW Superbeetle, the "automatic stick" was a $129 option. The AM/FM radio was a $129 option. I didn't want to spend too much (the Superbeetle was something like $250 more than a basic Beetle but came with a sunroof!!! :w00t: ), so I had to pick just one. Hmm, I could learn to drive a stick quicker than I could learn how to install the radio (and the speakers, and run the wires...). When Dad took me up to pick my car up, a guy friend of mine came along so he could drive the car home. After dinner, he took me out to the shopping center parking lot to learn. A couple spins around the parking lot...and I said "let's go visit my friend!". No problems on the 4.5 mile drive to her house...then forgot to shift into neutral before taking my foot off the clutch. Stall! Oops! :LOL: Still didn't deter me from taking my new car to work in downtown Cleveland the next day - with no stalls or hiccups.

Himself and I always had at least one standard shift car between us over the next 25 years. Traded his stick for the first van when our kids were just turning 16. They were both ticked that they wouldn't be driving sticks. The each ended up learning on friends' cars.

BTW, mostly tourists and two-housers (one in city, cottage on cape) go to the Cape in the nice weather. We never go to the Cape. :cool:

I had a manual transmission car from the beginning with my VW Bug in 1966. That remained true until the turn of the century when I decided I didn't need the extra work. Automatic transmissions work much better now and often have a manual shift mode if you're feeling sporty. I guess I've gotten lazy in my old age. (plus SO likes an automatic.)

I like stick, except when sitting in stop and go traffic. Also when trying to teach DD to drive. She almost drove me and her into a deep ditch while trying to shift. She never caught on with the stick shift. We finally gave up and used her grandmother's automatic to teach her to drive.

My first cars were standard transmission. Now I drive automatic. First it was because it was what I could find in a used Volvo for what I could afford. Now, I like it. I park in an underground garage and the idea of stopping uphill with standard transmission, every single time I take the car out, just doesn't appeal to me.

CG, you missed an opportunity to buy a 1948 Tucker today. I'm pretty sure you would have had the only one on your block. And, it's the safest car on the road... well, it was in 1948.

CD

Attachments

• Tucker001.jpg
    Tucker001.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I spent today in Scottsdale at the Barrett-Jackson auction, and then the RM/Sothby's auction. Very different actions. BJ is a circus, and today's cars were mostly shiny but non-collectable cars. RM/Sothby's didn't have their best stuff for sale tonight, but there were still some million-dollar cars. The really pricy cars go on the block tomorrow at RM/S and Saturday at BJ. I won't be here. :(

Barrett-Jackson photo below.

CD

Attachments

• BJ001.jpg
    BJ001.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 93
Thanks for "helping" me shop, CD, but I think we'll end up with the Santa Fe. The salesman is taking it to our mechanic Friday for his seal of approval before we sign the check. If the mechanic OKs the car, we'll start doing the Dealing Dance for the absolute best $$ offer that we can get from the dealership. You know, the fun part. ;)

If you are ever in the Cleveland area, you need to go to the Western Reserve Historical Society. They have a building with a display of their vast car collection - something like seven dozen. Or, basically, less than half of what Jay Leno has in his "garage".

Thanks for "helping" me shop, CD, but I think we'll end up with the Santa Fe. The salesman is taking it to our mechanic Friday for his seal of approval before we sign the check. If the mechanic OKs the car, we'll start doing the Dealing Dance for the absolute best $$ offer that we can get from the dealership. You know, the fun part. ;)

If you are ever in the Cleveland area, you need to go to the Western Reserve Historical Society. They have a building with a display of their vast car collection - something like seven dozen. Or, basically, less than half of what Jay Leno has in his "garage".

Jay Leno's "Garage" doesn't have as many cars in it as people think. I've been there a few times -- a friend of mine is a mechanic there. I know people who have hundreds of cars. A guy here in Dallas has over 300 cars.

CD

Wiki says he has 169 cars...which is 168 more than we have right now! I know Wiki isn't the end all-be all of accuracy, but it's all I got!

Over 300 cars is a lot to wash and polish and take for rides to keep them running...

Last edited:
I learned to drive in a Ford Pickup, stick shift. Later drove a Volkswagen Squareback, stick shift. After that a Chevy Nova station wagon, stick shift. Several automatic after that with a stick Super Beetle tossed in. I loved driving stick.

Today is Friday! A real Friday! Week one of the new position has been anti-climatic. Two days with a corporate person hanging around and we got almost no work done. Today we buckle down and forge through. Setting up my new office has been fun.

Sounds like interesting times, PF. I don't think I'd like to go back to the politics of the dayshift.

Good luck, and stay the course. Things will shake out and settle down.

Back
Top Bottom