What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The one we gave away was gas too Casey, but my yearning is still for that old Weber kettle from my past life. We only have room for one grill, so the gasser wins at this stage of life. I have a little Smoky Joe, just in case I feel less lazy and/or inspired. ;)

The one we gave away was gas too Casey, but my yearning is still for that old Weber kettle from my past life. We only have room for one grill, so the gasser wins at this stage of life. I have a little Smoky Joe, just in case I feel less lazy and/or inspired. ;)

You can actually make a smoker out of Weber Smokey Joe and a 32-quart stock pot. Here is one I made a few years ago.

CD

Attachments

• MiniWSM.jpg
    MiniWSM.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 93
+1, Kay. :wacko: Sous, how wonderful that your BBQ giveaway worked out so well for a neighbor who happened to need one!
-----------------------------------------
I turned 62 in November, so I bit the bullet and applied online for Social Security this afternoon. I know I could get more if I waited a few more years, but who knows if it will be around then. Gonna grab at least some of what I've paid into while I can. :)

I read that with good medical care, seniors are living longer. As a result, if they apply for their SS at 62, it is quite possible they will collect more than they put in. Waiting until 65 is no longer advisable. Most of today's seniors were housewives well into their marriage. They didn't go to work until all the kids were out of the house.

It's not difficult math to estimate what claiming SS vs. waiting will cost you. I found it advisable to start at 62 and I have another ten years to go before I start "losing" money.

I've been going through the far-too-many recipes I've clipped over the years decades, tossing about 98% of the real old ones. I figure if I haven't tried to make that dish since 1974, chances are I'll never make it! It's been very enlightening, though, to see how recipes have evolved over the years, chuckling about what was on trend so very long ago.

My favorite, so far, was a main dish for six. It started out by cutting up and frying out two pounds of bacon! 5 1/3 ounces per person! And that wasn't even the main meat in the dish - it was pork knuckles! Pork knuckles? I'm pretty sure I've never seen an unsmoked ham hock.

I should have saved that recipe just for the fun of it. Sadly, I shoved it into my bag of recycling papers, never to be found again.

I heard some noises coming from my attic, and went up to investigate. There was rat poop all around the furnaces and water heater (yes, the furnaces and water heater are in the attic -- it's a Texas thing).

So, I spread some glue traps around the most probable paths.

I have no idea how it/they got all the way up there.

CD

I've been going through the far-too-many recipes I've clipped over the years decades, tossing about 98% of the real old ones. I figure if I haven't tried to make that dish since 1974, chances are I'll never make it! It's been very enlightening, though, to see how recipes have evolved over the years, chuckling about what was on trend so very long ago.
I should have saved that recipe just for the fun of it. Sadly, I shoved it into my bag of recycling papers, never to be found again.

Before leaving Cali, I purged my recipe files of hundreds of recipes..

I had to take some of my own medicine.. I keep telling Jeannie that, if she doesn't wear/use something in over a year it should be discarded/donated or whatever.. Same goes for my hundreds of recipes and cooking tips.. :wacko:

Ross

I entered a recipe I found once into my recipe program just for the silliness of it. It was called Ham & Eggs with Banana. You cooked 3 slices of bacon, fried 2 eggs, then peeled a banana.

That's it!

I am waiting (im)patiently for the elevator repairman to come. TB had to take Miley out last night and this morning before work because even though we are on the 3rd floor, that is too many stairs for me when you have to go both directions, walk the short distance to and from the park, and stand around waiting for Miss Miley.

When I can finally go out, I need to pick up fur-kid food for both and a new park toy for Miley. I accidentally left hers in the park the other day when we were bullied out by the owner of two Dobermans. The dogs were fine...

At least I don't have to go to the hospital for IV antibiotic. They stopped it after one treatment because (duh) I reacted to it!

After that, I am going to do some baking and work on my jigsaw puzzle!

I picked up a jigsaw puzzle at Goodwill the other day - a whole $1. On the box: 3D Lenticular 500 pieces, age 10+, by Grafix. It's about to drive me completely nuts. I don't really know what Lenticular means, but the image on the pieces changes in color if you look at it from a different angle. Don't know if I'll ever finish.

I picked up a jigsaw puzzle at Goodwill the other day - a whole $1. On the box: 3D Lenticular 500 pieces, age 10+, by Grafix. It's about to drive me completely nuts. I don't really know what Lenticular means, but the image on the pieces changes in color if you look at it from a different angle. Don't know if I'll ever finish.

I have done a few 3D puzzles before with varying degrees of success.

As for lenticular, this is what I found on Wikipedia:
Lenticular printing is a technology in which lenticular lenses (a technology that is also used for 3D displays) are used to produce printed images with an illusion of depth, or the ability to change or move as the image is viewed from different angles.

My puzzle is a black cat (who looks a lot like Monkey) on a bookshelf. The books were fairly easy but the all black cat is impossible! Not to mention the fact that Miley disfigured three pieces! :wacko:

I have done a few 3D puzzles before with varying degrees of success.

As for lenticular, this is what I found on Wikipedia:
Lenticular printing is a technology in which lenticular lenses (a technology that is also used for 3D displays) are used to produce printed images with an illusion of depth, or the ability to change or move as the image is viewed from different angles.

My puzzle is a black cat (who looks a lot like Monkey) on a bookshelf. The books were fairly easy but the all black cat is impossible! Not to mention the fact that Miley disfigured three pieces! :wacko:

Thank you for the info, LP. The animal figures on the box do indeed seem to move when viewed from different angles. An elephant's trunk goes from normal rest to curling up to put something in the mouth -- a little disquieting to see.

I just began another very long set of shifts at work.
16 hours tonight, 17 hours Saturday into Sunday, 12 hpurs Sunday into Monday, then 12 more hours Monday into Tuesday.

Ugh. I need to win the lottery.

Gosh, bt, I hope you get some real time to sleep. We don't need anything bad happening to you. After all, your network just did do that story about drowsy driving being as dangerous as drunken driving. Stay safe.

I heard some noises coming from my attic, and went up to investigate. There was rat poop all around the furnaces and water heater (yes, the furnaces and water heater are in the attic -- it's a Texas thing).

So, I spread some glue traps around the most probable paths.

I have no idea how it/they got all the way up there.

CD

Update: One rat gone, hopefully none to go. I put some pecans on the glue traps today, and within an hour, I heard the sound of a critter trying to get out of a glue trap coming from the attic. I won't go into details, but I did quickly "end his suffering."

I still have three traps up there, but I hope there won't be any other rats to be caught.

Field rats are pretty common around here, as are feral cats, who keep the rats in check... for the most part. As long as the rats stay outside, I don't give them much thought. But, if they decide to move in with me, they better have money to pay rent, or they have to go. :LOL:

CD

I just got approved for a new writing assignment! I will be choosing (from nominations) and interviewing a Blogger of the Month for my Chronic Illness Bloggers group. People can nominate but I will also be watching for good posts, accomplishments, etc. I am really excited. It is nice to be writing for a purpose, not just posts in a blog.

I have my person for February and just have to get the questions ready for her. If I am up much longer tonight (headache and leg spasms) I might just get it done.

Finalized apartment applications for the 55+ complex we hope to move into, about May, when Jeannie gets to MO..

Now we just have to hope that an apartment opening coincides with when we want to move in.. That's the only unknown, at this point..

If a 1 bed/1 bath comes open first, we can move into that while waiting for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment... Not enthused about moving twice but, it will all work out..

We are welcome to stay with daughter and SIL as long as we want but, I need my own place, asap..

Ross

Back
Top Bottom