What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kgirl, thanks so much for the tour of the Grand Canyon! I was apparently there but don't remember as I was quite young. It has been on my list of places to see. Those pictures are awesome! Your meal looks and sounds yummy.

Kay, so sorry to hear of your DIL's loss. Glad you had a good visit.

We have a three-day "weekend" as today is a holiday here and Monday/Tuesday are TB's days off so he gets Wednesday off in lieu. We are going to be dealing with a lot of our "hang-ups". No, not couple's therapy, we are finally putting up shelves, pictures after living here for over 8 months!

View attachment 29144
Here comes the Sun ... Here comes the Sun ... and I say, its alright!

On Thursday (my computer wasn't been working so...),
DH and I got up early and headed out.
We jumped in the car, as decided the night prior,
bound for The Grand Canyon.

View attachment 29145

Wow Wow WOW!
This was the first time that we've been up here and there were very few people!
You weren't elbow-to-elbow with humanity!
LOVED IT!
We walked around for a bit ...

View attachment 29146
View attachment 29147
View attachment 29148
View attachment 29149

... to take in the beauty.
We still can't figure out why there are pennies
embedded into the walkway every so few feet???

Well, then we got hungry... what to do?
The El Tovar restaurant in the historic hotel!!
Lunch over looking The Grand Canyon ...

View attachment 29150
View attachment 29151
View attachment 29152
View attachment 29153
View attachment 29154

Those were some of the best rolls we've ever had, Sylvia-our server-brought us TWO baskets ;)
I had the Rib Eye Sandwich and DH had a Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich.
Another glass of wine and a cup of coffee, for my designated driver, on the veranda, just sitting and looking out over The Canyon, what a wonderful Spring like day.

Now, granted, starting tomorrow, its going to get pretty nasty, glad we went when we did :)

Thanks for the photos. I also have not been there, yet. But we'll get there soon.

On Saturday night dh and I stayed at the La Fonda Hotel on the Plaza in Santa Fe....another Mary Colter inspired building. I don't think she designed the El Tovar Restaurant, but she designed several buildings at the Grand Canyon. I took 179 photos of the interior of the hotel!

Last edited:
Spent the morning test driving the 2006 Mercury Milan my daughter had garaged for a year. I had a great mechanic, who took take care of our cars when we previously lived in MO, go through it, fixing this, replacing that and ended up with my own transportation for $850.00.

Feels good to not have to wait until someone gets home from work to go out for an ice cream cone.. ;)

Ross

Did you ever hear the joke about the penguin whose car broke down while driving through town, so she went for ice cream while it was being fixed?

Kay, every time you mention Cheyenne, the picture you posted of her when she was first born, is stamped in my memory bank and she pops up right on cue.

Ross, sounds like you have adjusted to your new living just fine.

Kaygirl, I once read that people were tossing pennies and other change down into the canyon. (For good luck.)Not good for the fish and other wild life down there. There had to be a way to put a stop to it besides just signs telling you not too. So someone came up with the idea of putting pennies into the rock and the tourists would concentrate on that instead of tossing them over the rim. The tourist now spend time trying to get their pennies into the rocks instead of over the edge.

Now how true this is, I have no idea. I personally don't believe it. But I do believe about tossing their change of the rim. Folks just don't think when they are doing something foolish.

I have been to see the canyon and it is such an AWESOME sight. I made the mistake of looking over the edge and instantly got a very bad case of the dry heaves. After ten minutes of that, some medics came over and offered me some medication to help stop it. Bless their hearts. I don't know what it was, but it worked. They also informed me that it happens all the time to folks who can't handle height.

Kayelle, thanks for the ear worm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEXQkrllGbA

Kgirl....what awesome pics!! I haven't been to the Grand Canyon in so many years, would love to go back again.

Kay..I'm sorry to hear of your DIL's father's sudden passing. That must have been quite a shock. So very sad at that young age.

Ross...congrats on the new-to-you car!

...DH and I got up early and headed out.
We jumped in the car, as decided the night prior,
bound for The Grand Canyon...
What a wonderful trip! Isn't the Canyon amazing? Goober and I spent a day there when we went out to AZ for him to do a college visit. Since we were in Phoenix, we drove up one day seeing things along the route, the stayed overnight in an old hotel on Route 66 in Flagstaff. The next day, we visited the Park and hiked a bit of the Bright Angel Trail, then back to Phoenix. Hiking that small part of the Canyon was fun, but that was back when I was young(er) and in much better shape! :LOL:

Busy day...
Started of with my daughter at the doctors office.. Confirmed herniated disc, with loose fragments.. Insurance demands injections before permitting surgery..

Registered my car $66 for two years..It ain't California, bunky...yayy!!!

Kids had their offer on a home accepted.. The inspection/purchasing process starts now... yayyy!!!

Ross

I used up the last from my jar of Herbes de Provence last night. I spent a good chunk of time comparing various "recipes" online, looking for something that might be close to the jar I had since we liked it. :wacko: Found one that looks similar to Penzey's blend. Now I need to get my rear in gear to gather my various herbs from my bulk storage and blend up my own batch.

I just finished an online grocery order. I hope we get it. I usually get two emails - one from the store, confirming the order and one from the company that processes the payment. I got the one from the store, but not the second one. Hope they manage to process that payment.

I am baking at least 6 dozen cupcakes (vanilla, chocolate & carrot), making fondant decorations for them, as well as baking "pupcakes" and dog biscuits over the next couple of days.

Monday is National Cupcake Day in honour of the SPCA and rescue shelters in Canada. This is my first time participating and I am really excited about it.

The cupcakes will go for donation with all proceeds going to our local rescue shelter. The dog treats are, well, going to the dogs! :LOL:

I will post picks in the baking thread when they are done, probably Sunday.

Oh, I am also making some gluten-free pumpkin cake for snacking and TB's lunches. I need pumpkin for the dog biscuits but not a whole can and it doesn't last in the fridge.

I just finished an online grocery order. I hope we get it. I usually get two emails - one from the store, confirming the order and one from the company that processes the payment. I got the one from the store, but not the second one. Hope they manage to process that payment.

Taxy, do you get yours through the Superstore chain? If so, how are they? We get ours through Save-On which is a BC/Alberta chain. They are fairly good and I have only once had a payment problem (not my fault).

I am baking at least 6 dozen cupcakes (vanilla, chocolate & carrot), making fondant decorations for them, as well as baking "pupcakes" and dog biscuits over the next couple of days.

Monday is National Cupcake Day in honour of the SPCA and rescue shelters in Canada. This is my first time participating and I am really excited about it.

The cupcakes will go for donation with all proceeds going to our local rescue shelter. The dog treats are, well, going to the dogs! :LOL:

I will post picks in the baking thread when they are done, probably Sunday.

Oh, I am also making some gluten-free pumpkin cake for snacking and TB's lunches. I need pumpkin for the dog biscuits but not a whole can and it doesn't last in the fridge.

LP,
You are so cool.The puppies will love those treats.:yum:

My son and I took his pup in for her rabies shot.A woman in the waiting room made the comment on how cute she was, well behaved.Yadda,yadda.To us she's our cute little cupcake.
Then she asked us if she was papered?
I said "yes she is...ALL over the house!" :mrgreen::ROFLMAO::LOL:
My son looked like he wanted to crawl into the nearest hole and hide out for a while.:ohmy:

You just can't take me anywhere.:angel:

Munky.

Have you ever seen Crusoe the Celebrity Dachshund?

In his latest episode, he and his buddy Oakley make pupcakes to raise money for the SPCA.

https://youtu.be/lUfcsCGK1uI

Taxy, do you get yours through the Superstore chain? If so, how are they? We get ours through Save-On which is a BC/Alberta chain. They are fairly good and I have only once had a payment problem (not my fault).
I get mine through IGA. The website is badly designed. However, the lady who packs the orders at the store I use is very nice and competent. Whenever I order something new, I ask her to check for soy and she does. She calls if there are any questions.

There wasn't a payment problem. It was just a notification from the payment company that never arrived. The groceries did arrive.

There's a British company that provides the software for online shopping in GB that will be providing websites for, I believe Sobeys, here in Canada. A friend who lived in London sent me a link to one of their UK sites and it was wonderful. Easy searches and all the nutrition info and ingredients lists for the various products.

Changed all the smoke detectors batteries today.

Good idea JoAnn!! We are now in the habit of doing that every year, after learning the hard way.

I was alone while SC was away on a trip. Sure enough in the middle of the night the tell tale "chirping" began on a detector. I don't do anything taller than a step ladder so the dang thing chirped all night long till he returned half the day later. By that time I was ready to kill sumpin' (maybe SC.) :mad:

Back
Top Bottom