What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH's sister and her husband came to my FIL's house today to spend some time with him. We're on our way home to Virginia. We talked with him about the memorial service he wants to have later in the spring or early summer. I hope he'll be okay once they leave.

I spent the morning making a taco casserole freezer meal with seasoned ground beef, rice, bell peppers, onions and garlic. Nine more dinners for his freezer.

DH's sister and her husband came to my FIL's house today to spend some time with him. We're on our way home to Virginia. We talked with him about the memorial service he wants to have later in the spring or early summer. I hope he'll be okay once they leave.

I spent the morning making a taco casserole freezer meal with seasoned ground beef, rice, bell peppers, onions and garlic. Nine more dinners for his freezer.
Safe travels home, GG... :)

Ross

Went to Target on an errand for Dx. She ordered something on line, save $5, total cost was not enough for free shipping= pick up only. It's snowing about an inch an hour, but not cold. She doesn't like to drive when we are having weather. I'm fine with that. I am home safe with her $5 off package and of course I had to drop another small bundle before I could get out the door. :ermm::ohmy:

The smoke alarm where I live is in the kitchen. It goes off every time I open the oven, even with the fan on. So I learned to whack it with a towel and while it still peeps, it's much quieter. Yes, I know I could get killed in a fire because of this. But I'd be for certain killed by the other residents on my floor if I hadn't done this.

I've been spending a great deal of my time lately looking for land. The back pay for my disability came in this month (I expected it in June), so now I have to use it to assure a permanent place for me to live.

I plan to buy the American dream, a house and a place to put it. I'm just buying it one piece at a time, is all. :LOL:

First I'll get the land, hopefully with water, electric, and septic on it, or the ability to be hooked up to city utilities. Then I'll live on it in my car while saving up to buy a small trailer to put on it, or to actually have a small house built on it. Then I get to save some more to have the utilities hooked up. Then save some more to have it cleared and fenced. Maybe by the time I'm 70...

So first things first. I've been spending hours on the net searching for land between the East Coast and the West Coast. I'm pretty picky about it because once I'm on it, I don't want to have to move again. I counted up and I've moved 18 times since 1974 and I'm sick of moving. I want to grow things and put down roots.

So the next couple of months will be interesting. Although, it does occur to me that I'm getting a little old to be doing things like this.

Last edited:
Im trying to quiet down the chimes on the grandfather clock. They sometimes wake me up in the middle of the night.

Mine has a mechanical switch that somehow keeps it for chiming at night, have you looked for one on yours?

The other option would be to keep some of the sound inside by blocking the side "screens." There isn't anything I know of that you can do to the chimed themselves, without ruining the tone quality.

CD

Mine has a mechanical switch that somehow keeps it for chiming at night, have you looked for one on yours?

The other option would be to keep some of the sound inside by blocking the side "screens." There isn't anything I know of that you can do to the chimed themselves, without ruining the tone quality.

CD

Lol, that magical switch. I must have repaired my parents' grandfather clock a hundred times. Every time they jammed the weights, or caused the chains to jump sprockets, or if they touched one of the chime mechanics or the dampener switch.

The smoke alarm where I live is in the kitchen. It goes off every time I open the oven, even with the fan on. So I learned to whack it with a towel and while it still peeps, it's much quieter. Yes, I know I could get killed in a fire because of this. But I'd be for certain killed by the other residents on my floor if I hadn't done this.

I've been spending a great deal of my time lately looking for land. The back pay for my disability came in this month (I expected it in June), so now I have to use it to assure a permanent place for me to live.

I plan to buy the American dream, a house and a place to put it. I'm just buying it one piece at a time, is all. :LOL:

First I'll get the land, hopefully with water, electric, and septic on it, or the ability to be hooked up to city utilities. Then I'll live on it in my car while saving up to buy a small trailer to put on it, or to actually have a small house built on it. Then I get to save some more to have the utilities hooked up. Then save some more to have it cleared and fenced. Maybe by the time I'm 70...

So first things first. I've been spending hours on the net searching for land between the East Coast and the West Coast. I'm pretty picky about it because once I'm on it, I don't want to have to move again. I counted up and I've moved 18 times since 1974 and I'm sick of moving. I want to grow things and put down roots.

So the next couple of months will be interesting. Although, it does occur to me that I'm getting a little old to be doing things like this.

Do searches on "Tiny House Communities."

There is one in Spur, Texas that is getting a lot of attention...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoIP5nDOhw8

CD

With two trips to the ER in two years for internal bleeding, I decided I should update my Will, and get other paperwork in order. It's been about 17 years since I wrote my Will. I updated it tonight, and will get it notarized on Monday.

Advanced Directive is next.

I wonder if there is a document that will require my family and friends to forego a funeral, get a few kegs, some good BBQ, and throw a party instead. :cool:

CD

CD

I don’t have that switch. I don’t have those screens either.
I tried jamming cotton balls between chime bars and they helped quiet down quite a bit but sounded terrible.
I moved the clock from a hardwood floor to a carpeted area and that helped a little.
My other option is to disable the on-the-hour chimes but I really don’t want to do that. The clock will loose its charm...

...My other option is to disable the on-the-hour chimes but I really don’t want to do that. The clock will loose its charm...
Or buy and use these:

s-l225.jpg

Himself snores like a freight train. Ever since I started using Mack's silicone ear plugs when we travel, I no longer tempted to try "pillow therapy" on my victim husband. :mrgreen: I'm sure if you use them you won't even know there is a chiming clock in the house when you're in bed.

...I wonder if there is a document that will require my family and friends to forego a funeral, get a few kegs, some good BBQ, and throw a party instead.
Couldn't you stipulate that in your will, too?

I told Himself that if it looks like the end is sneaking up on me, I want to throw a good party for everyone while I'm still alive. I don't want to miss out on the fun!

Couldn't you stipulate that in your will, too?

I told Himself that if it looks like the end is sneaking up on me, I want to throw a good party for everyone while I'm still alive. I don't want to miss out on the fun!

They can always prop you up on a couch, a la Weekend at Bernie's.

CD

You can put that in your will, but it's up to the executor to fulfill the promise.

When my buddy Ozzy died, he had 3 wishes. That some of his ashes were sprinkled over a lake in the mountains where we used to hike, some of his ashes planted at the base of a Weeping Willow tree by the Tenakill river in our hometown, and a little bit of ash rolled in a joint and smoked amongst his friends.

His dad was having none of it. :mad:

With two trips to the ER in two years for internal bleeding, I decided I should update my Will, and get other paperwork in order. It's been about 17 years since I wrote my Will. I updated it tonight, and will get it notarized on Monday.

Advanced Directive is next.

I wonder if there is a document that will require my family and friends to forego a funeral, get a few kegs, some good BBQ, and throw a party instead. :cool:

CD

All you need to do is let your beneficiary what you want done. Make it someone you trust will do exactly what you want.

You may want a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care (DPOAHC) who will follow your wishes when you can no longer make those decisions.

Last edited:
Finally figured out what to do with Shrek's cell phone, we have the phones on a new (argh) 2 year contract, I'm paying for it, but don't need two cell phones. I have a sister who is struggling and has no phone, I'm going to give it to her for the two years left on the contract.

We had the much anticipated pack 165 pinewood derby. My nephew took first place in the wolf den. Zane didnt do too bad. They ran each car 6 times. 2 wins 3 second place and one 3rd but his times were not good enough to place.

I got first place in the outlaw class. Second place was also one of the the parents.

The kid with long hair is my nephew. The other is Zane. He painted his car and sanded it all by himself. They dont look like it in the picture but they are both really happy!FB_IMG_1519606202982.jpgFB_IMG_1519606189508.jpgFB_IMG_1519606176152.jpg

Back
Top Bottom