"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #15021
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
This weekend I decided to do an antenna project. I have over the air TV, no cable. I've been using a big, old style antenna for a few years and it's been doing well, but wondered if I could get more channels. Everything is in my attic.

I built one from watching youtube videos using wire, a board, screws, washers, and a simple transformer, all in all about $10 worth of materials, all available at Lowes.

I built it and after some tweaking and covering a piece of cardboard with aluminum foil, I am now able to get channels broadcasting from 2 different directions! I have picked up 7 new stations and seems like I've been able to make PBS more stable. No amplifiers just wire arranged just so, pretty cool!

It's been a delightfully nerdy weekend.
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #15022
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Oh, what a sweetie and such lovely, long fingers. Piano?

Check out Barbra Streisand's . It'll make your heart melt and bring tears to your eyes. It's one of the most beautiful Christmas songs ever written. It fits little miss Cheyenne to a T.
Talk about heartmelting tears Katie!! Yes, it's a perfect song by one of the most talented singers to ever live!
You noticed Cheyenne's long slender hands and fingers I've always wanted to have. Maybe they will be as graceful as Barbra Streisand's.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #15023
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Talk about heartmelting tears Katie!! Yes, it's a perfect song by one of the most talented singers to ever live!
You noticed Cheyenne's long slender hands and fingers I've always wanted to have. Maybe they will be as graceful as Barbra Streisand's.
I thought you'd like it, Kayelle.

It is special to me because I was told I would never have any children. However, through medical intervention and pure Irish stubbornness, my first child was born December 5, 1970. I've always thought of this as my and Shawn's song.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #15024
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,896
What a lovely story Katie. My parents have been gone a long time, but I was always told I was their best gift just three days before Christmas. I still miss hearing that from them.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #15025
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I just got back from the hospital visiting Cheyenne Marie. This is the first time I've been able to hold her and my heart melted holding my tiny 3lb grand daughter in my arms. She should be able to come home for Christmas!! I made her pink hat, but I'll make a Christmas elf hat to wear home.

So tiny and precious! Congtatulations, KL!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #15026
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,649
So sweet Kayelle! Congratulations again to all :)
__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #15027
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,649
I am decorating the tree......I'm kinda slow! Won't be done for a couple of days, probably.....;)
__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #15028
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
This weekend I decided to do an antenna project. I have over the air TV, no cable. I've been using a big, old style antenna for a few years and it's been doing well, but wondered if I could get more channels. Everything is in my attic.

I built one from watching youtube videos using wire, a board, screws, washers, and a simple transformer, all in all about $10 worth of materials, all available at Lowes.

I built it and after some tweaking and covering a piece of cardboard with aluminum foil, I am now able to get channels broadcasting from 2 different directions! I have picked up 7 new stations and seems like I've been able to make PBS more stable. No amplifiers just wire arranged just so, pretty cool!

It's been a delightfully nerdy weekend.
This fascinates me. I like to do things like this!

We have DirecTV, but I've jerryrigged every other TV in the house.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #15029
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I just got back from the hospital visiting Cheyenne Marie. This is the first time I've been able to hold her and my heart melted holding my tiny 3lb grand daughter in my arms. She should be able to come home for Christmas!! I made her pink hat, but I'll make a Christmas elf hat to wear home.
What a beautiful child. You are so lucky to have this baby in your life. Congratulations to everyone !
__________________
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #15030
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
This fascinates me. I like to do things like this!

We have DirecTV, but I've jerryrigged every other TV in the house.
I've read how awesome these homemade antennas are, so I watched a bunch of videos to make sure I was doing everything right and built it. Better than the other 2 store bought antennas.

I really love projects like this, finding inexpensive and useful solutions!
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.