What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hiya, Munky. I have 5 ceiling fans - one in each bedroom, one in the living room, and one over the dining room table. My dining room one is similar to the one shown below, I love it. The single dome lighting cover is nicer, IMO, than the ones that have the open-type lighting (I don't know what to call them) - I just don't like the glare of bare bulbs showing and they're easier to clean. :)

https://www.lightingdirect.com/hunter-buchanan-52-buchanan-52-5-blade-ceiling-fan/p3281851

My bedroom ceiling fans have remotes, and that is SUPER handy if you're lazy like me and don't want to get up to change the fan speed or adjust the lighting. ;) The remotes also have dimmers on them - an extra added plus.

I'm looking at replacing the one in the living room soon, in fact I was just at Home Depot a couple of days ago looking at them. It will have a remote, too. :) Best of luck to you in your search! I'm a fan of Hunter brand - they're nice and they have a lot of different styles.

Hiya Cheryl :)

I like that fan the globe stole my heart.
Hubby's going to jump on the remotes.Like a hobo on a ham sammich!
He's always pulling the chain to adjust the fan settings.Now he won't have to get up to do it.

Munky.

When I bought my condo 19 years ago, I had a fan installed over the bed. I had bought it on close out and there was no remote. I had the electrician mount the wall switch on the wall just above the headboard so the fan could be adjusted from the bed. He was amazed at the idea. Some years later I called him back to install another fan and he commented that he regularly suggested mounting the switch over the headboard to other customers and they loved it.

Santa's workshop is in full swing.

Since some time in February I have been busy in the studio making Christmas presents.

This week is the beginning of making doll clothes for several American Girl dolls and one baby doll. I'm havin' a blast.

For some reason I've kept all the cut-off ends of Glenn's jeans, thinking that I may use them to patch his jeans when they get torn.
Well, I now have a huge quantity of mid-thigh to ankle pieces of jeans legs. All washed and with all the seams and bottom hems removed. What to do?

The light bulb went on and I just finished cutting out the cutest pair of American Girl doll jeans using the scraps. I'm going to trim this pair with tiny red-and-white gingham and make a blouse to match.
Thinking about making a denim jumper, too, and making a blouse out of bandana fabric to go with it.

These outfits will be labeled as "Gramps' Jeans."

Santa's workshop is in full swing.

Since some time in February I have been busy in the studio making Christmas presents.

This week is the beginning of making doll clothes for several American Girl dolls and one baby doll. I'm havin' a blast.

For some reason I've kept all the cut-off ends of Glenn's jeans, thinking that I may use them to patch his jeans when they get torn.
Well, I now have a huge quantity of mid-thigh to ankle pieces of jeans legs. All washed and with all the seams and bottom hems removed. What to do?

The light bulb went on and I just finished cutting out the cutest pair of American Girl doll jeans using the scraps. I'm going to trim this pair with tiny red-and-white gingham and make a blouse to match.
Thinking about making a denim jumper, too, and making a blouse out of bandana fabric to go with it.

These outfits will be labeled as "Gramps' Jeans."

My son Spike recently moved into a one bedroom apartment from a three bedroom. His wife died several years ago and he lost interest in taking care of the apartment he was in. So since he moved into a brand new apartment his interest in homemaking has returned. I had given him my sewing machine many years ago. He has been putting it to good use. He recently made curtains for the bedroom and kitchen, and now is waiting for the pattern for a coat for Teddy, his dog. Right now his is sewing and making simple things. But his interest in living has returned. Who knew the magic that was inside that sewing machine.

I will have to show him your list of activities. And I have some stuff he can mend for me. He did make me some really thick pot holders from a very old towel that had a lot of special memories for me. I didn't have the heart to toss it into the trash. I am sure I can find other things for him to make.

BTW, I have a family wedding coming up. I will be down your way so you can make that real fancy outfit I am going to need. I don't think Spike has had enough experience with a project like that. Love the idea of using up the jean pieces. Any leftovers would make a lovely gown.

Thanks, I did. Well, I made it as far as the couch before I passed out, still wearing 1 shoe. I slept like a baby.

Now I need a baba...

Diddle, diddle, dumpling, my friend Tom,
Went to bed with his stockings on;
One shoe off, and the other shoe on,
Diddle, diddle, dumpling, my friend Tom.

Geez, please, no. No tree branches crushing babies in cribs, nor pockets full of flowers to ward of diseases that cause you to fall down dead.

Even my own saintly mother sang "You are my sunshine" to us and all of her grand and great grands. But when ypu hear the entire song, it's about horrible loss of love.

Now I really need a baba.

Geez, please, no. No tree branches crushing babies in cribs, nor pockets full of flowers to ward of diseases that cause you to fall down dead.

Even my own saintly mother sang "You are my sunshine" to us and all of her grand and great grands. But when ypu hear the entire song, it's about horrible loss of love.

Now I really need a baba.

one virtual baba coming up with a little something, something added:angel:

Gosh, so much going on here lately!

Ross, so glad to hear Jeannie is now there with you. I'm sure it'll be an adjustment period for her living with the kids until your apartment becomes available, and crossing my fingers that it all falls into place as planned. Keep us posted, please! :flowers:

Souschef...loved the story about your newest flying adventure! Thank you for sharing.

Katie, you've been so busy with your crafts, and the little re-purposed jeans sound adorable.

I'm exhausted - for the past week or so I've been all up into cleaning out closets, bookcases, and just generally getting rid of things and trying to make everyday life easier with less 'stuff'. :) Today I worked in the house and garage from 7AM till about 3, and now have boxes upon boxes of things to donate or toss. I feel like I accomplished a lot....but it seems like I just did this. I just did it better this time, I guess. :ermm::LOL:

Cheryl, I hear you on the cleaning and sorting stuff. As I go through our things I wonder WHY I ever did save so much stuff! :wacko:

My 4 months of wild :wacko: bachelorhood is coming to an end.. Jeannie fly's in from Vegas today.. We will continue living with my daughter and SIL until our apartment comes free in June...Oh.. I also bought a recliner from LazyBoy...
You and Jeannie are back together! That is so sweet!

Also sweet is that you think you might get to relax in that recliner? Um, hello! :LOL:

Answering the phone every 5 minutes.

An elderly woman is calling looking to speak to someone at the post office.
She's using a smart phone.We had a nice but short conversation the first time.She's a bit confused.

I felt bad for her so I offered to get the correct number for her.
She declined the offer.Apologized for bothering me.She didn't bother me at all.Wished me a very happy day.
I wished her one back and a happy Mother's day as well.Her voice reminded me of my moms.Slight Texan accent.
Now she's calling every 5 minutes hanging up when I answer the phone.
This is sad.

That's twice this week that an elderly lady has needed help.
The fist one walked into my yard as I was talking with a neighbor.She was clearly lost and confused.She wanted us to open our gate so that she could get home.
Her home was blocks away.I don't speak Spanish but my neighbor does.We were arranging with my sons for one of them to drive her home safely.Luckily my neighbors daughter drove up and took her home.
It reminds me of my mom with her later stage of dementia.Taking off and later found miles from home.

Munky.

Last edited:
Answering the phone every 5 minutes.

An elderly woman is calling looking to speak to someone at the post office.
She's using a smart phone.We had a nice but short conversation the first time.She's a bit confused.

I felt bad for her so I offered to get the correct number for her.
She declined the offer.Apologized for bothering me.She didn't bother me at all.Wished me a very happy day.
I wished her one back and a happy Mother's day as well.Her voice reminded me of my moms.Slight Texan accent.
Now she's calling every 5 minutes hanging up when I answer the phone.
This is sad.

That's twice this week that an elderly lady has needed help.
The fist one walked into my yard as I was talking with a neighbor.She was clearly lost and confused.She wanted us to open our gate so that she could get home.
Her home was blocks away.I don't speak Spanish but my neighbor does.We were arranging with my sons for one of them to drive her home safely.Luckily my neighbors daughter drove up and took her home.
It reminds me of my mom with her later stage of dementia.Taking off and later found miles from home.

Munky.

And unfortunately this is why they have to keep the doors locked at The Club in Winthrop. They do have a yard that is securely fenced in. The patients are allowed to go outside in good weather at will. For patients like myself, they are allowed to go out, even to the store or café to get some coffee or other goodie they may want. As long as they are back inside by two p.m. in time to go home or back to their room to wait for their supper.

There are many families that have to keep their doors locked so that the parent does not wander out. And unfortunately for families where both adults have to work, there are places like Winthrop.

Winthrop was founded in the late 1980's. Cities and towns from all over the country have come here to see just how this program works. To this day, we can always tell when some out-of-towners are taking a look at us. We had a real elderly patient with Alzheimer's who became a patient when she was in her early 80's. She was already a full blown alcoholic. So little by little they have been weaning her back on her alcohol intake. The visitors saw her sitting at the table drinking a beer. The visitors were horrified. Why shouldn't she have a drink if she needed one? She is well over the age of consent. And unlike opioids, alcohol is legal. I was sitting with a couple of friends. We kept an eye on the visitors and watched as little by little, they began to understand.

And unfortunately this is why they have to keep the doors locked at The Club in Winthrop. They do have a yard that is securely fenced in. The patients are allowed to go outside in good weather at will.

(my comments in red)
All government regulated facilities are like this, Addie....not just Winthrop. There must be at least a couple of unlocked doors leading to the outside per fire regulations. They may have alarms on them, but they must be unlocked.

For patients like myself, they are allowed to go out, even to the store or café to get some coffee or other goodie they may want. As long as they are back inside by two p.m. in time to go home or back to their room to wait for their supper.

There are many families that have to keep their doors locked so that the parent does not wander out. And unfortunately for families where both adults have to work, there are places like Winthrop.

Again, fire hazard to lock anyone in.

Winthrop was founded in the late 1980's. Cities and towns from all over the country have come here to see just how this program works. To this day, we can always tell when some out-of-towners are taking a look at us. We had a real elderly patient with Alzheimer's who became a patient when she was in her early 80's. She was already a full blown alcoholic. So little by little they have been weaning her back on her alcohol intake. The visitors saw her sitting at the table drinking a beer. The visitors were horrified. Why shouldn't she have a drink if she needed one? She is well over the age of consent. And unlike opioids, alcohol is legal. I was sitting with a couple of friends. We kept an eye on the visitors and watched as little by little, they began to understand.

Addie.....please tell me that you misunderstood this scenario. Any medical facility that gives their patients alcohol should be shut down. (Opioids are legal too btw, by prescription).

Last edited:
I'm sorry to disagree Cheryl. Alcohol depends on the patient's need and/or wants. This is their home, yes we don't let folks get drunk and disorderly, but we also don't deny them the odd drink if it's okay with their doctor and family (who must supply the booze).

Thank you Princess. :) I stand corrected. I hadn't seen that in either of the facilities my parents were in, but that doesn't mean it never happens.

Back
Top Bottom