What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am taking a quick breal before my busy weekend begins. The daughter has her piano guild today at the local college. Then, we have to go to Sam's & buy alot of groceries for a party of 650 thursday. After mass tomorrow it's back to work again. Enjoying this 2 hours of free time.
Don't you love shopping for large groups of people! I remember one wedding I did (400) I bought Costco out of pork loins (3 cases +), chicken thighs, chorizo sausage and strawberries (stuffing for the loins), lettuce, etc. We had 2 carts and a flat deck dolly absolutely crammed with stuff. And that was only one store. :LOL:.

Glad you had a break this morning and hope the recital went well!

My daughter asked me to embroider a scarf and doilies for her bedroom dresser. The package arrived today. I have a stash of threads. Too many in fact. Some are DMC, JPC, etc. And of course none are numbered or labeled. My bad. So now I have to figure out what greens I need. The first one I am going to make is all green with small red berries. Those are French knots. It calls for threads from DMC. I could take a trip to the craft store and get the threads I need according to the chart. The threads I have are somewhat old. I should toss them out and start from scratch. In fact, I just talked myself into doing just that. Son #1 is coming back tomorrow to do more work on my computer. He doesn't know it yet, but he is going to take me to the craft store for a ten minute looksee and to get what I need.

kadesma, look into embroidering. Get a small stamped kit, (they come with the thread and chart) to keep your hands busy while you are sitting there for three hours. The kits are about $3.99 and a hoop about $1.99. They have a lot of adorable one for kids rooms. Joann Fabric Stores has the best selection. Another good site is Herrschners. But they tend to be more expensive and cater to the more experienced person. All the ones I have made over the years for the kids, they now have them in their home for their kids rooms.

I made a couple of 4x6 ones with plastic frames for my daughter's bathroom about 35 years ago. She still has them hanging up. They are now brown with age and very fragile. But she won't take them down. They have traveled to every home she has ever lived in. I got them at some stupid house party. You know. Like Tupperware. They were the cheapest thing I could find to buy that night. Who knew they would become such treasures. :)

My daughter asked me to embroider a scarf and doilies for her bedroom dresser. The package arrived today. I have a stash of threads. Too many in fact. Some are DMC, JPC, etc. And of course none are numbered or labeled. My bad. So now I have to figure out what greens I need. The first one I am going to make is all green with small red berries. Those are French knots. It calls for threads from DMC. I could take a trip to the craft store and get the threads I need according to the chart. The threads I have are somewhat old. I should toss them out and start from scratch. In fact, I just talked myself into doing just that. Son #1 is coming back tomorrow to do more work on my computer. He doesn't know it yet, but he is going to take me to the craft store for a ten minute looksee and to get what I need.

kadesma, look into embroidering. Get a small stamped kit, (they come with the thread and chart) to keep your hands busy while you are sitting there for three hours. The kits are about $3.99 and a hoop about $1.99. They have a lot of adorable one for kids rooms. Joann Fabric Stores has the best selection. Another good site is Herrschners. But they tend to be more expensive and cater to the more experienced person. All the ones I have made over the years for the kids, they now have them in their home for their kids rooms.

I made a couple of 4x6 ones with plastic frames for my daughter's bathroom about 35 years ago. She still has them hanging up. They are now brown with age and very fragile. But she won't take them down. They have traveled to every home she has ever lived in. I got them at some stupid house party. You know. Like Tupperware. They were the cheapest thing I could find to buy that night. Who knew they would become such treasures. :)

thanks Addie,
I use to do all kinds of embroidry just haven't done it in years. I love cross stitch but I can only move one arm all the way the other I can only bend from the elbow so I'll see how it goes and give it a try.
kades

my granddaughter and fiancé just left. won't be back till monday. frankly i can us the quiet time. after the tension of cat saga,i am worn out. a nap is in my future.
Take that nap and just kick back and enjoy the quiet. You deserve the peace.
Glad your critters are home.
kades

thanks Addie,
I use to do all kinds of embroidry just haven't done it in years. I love cross stitch but I can only move one arm all the way the other I can only bend from the elbow so I'll see how it goes and give it a try.
kades

An 8" hoop should be ideal for you then. You can hold it with the resricted arm and sew with the other. The nice thing with cross stitch, you can sew with either hand. Good luck.

thanks Addie,
kades
Maybe trying plastic canvas work might be better for you, Ma. It is similar to cross stitch (counting instead of a printed design) and needlepoint (an open style canvas) but the stiffer plastic would be easier to hold with your bad arm. My sister in law does it all the time. There are thousands of Ideas out there.

Maybe trying plastic canvas work might be better for you, Ma. It is similar to cross stitch (counting instead of a printed design) and needlepoint (an open style canvas) but the stiffer plastic would be easier to hold with your bad arm. My sister in law does it all the time. There are thousands of Ideas out there.
Thanks for the Idea LP I love both cross stitch and needlepoint will look into it. Oh boy I'm so glad to find something to do I like. You made my day
ma

After spending yesterday and today outside doing yard work, I have a glass of wine handy and am about to relax reading s/thing on my kindle. It is the May long weekend here and the weather has been marvelous, so far--sunny, 80 degrees. Tomorrow I have to schlepp stuff to the house in the city, rake the grass I cut on Wednesday, bag it to bring out for more mulch, and paint. Maybe spend some time in the much neglected flower beds (maybe do that Monday--a friend is coming for Girl's Night tomorrow night).

I'm still trying to get the cats off the ceiling after that race...I scared the heck out of them. I bet it's a couple of hours before they feel safe sitting next to me again!:LOL:

He is an amazing horse!

I'm still trying to get the cats off the ceiling after that race...I scared the heck out of them. I bet it's a couple of hours before they feel safe sitting next to me again!:LOL:

He is an amazing horse!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Poor kitties. Good thing Teddy Bear left a short time ago. He would be with your cats.

My neighbors must think I am in some serioud pain also. But then I heard some yelling coming from open windows also.

I agree! I used to do all kinds of needlework, but at my age (65) the plastic canvas with a stand is pretty easy to work.

I often just take the frame off of the stand and prop the framed canvas on my desk or ottoman and find something good on TV.

For a small carry around project, kits are easy to find, cheap and portable. Make a tote bag to carry your next kit in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom