"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #15101
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Wine up the nose is NOT funny.

***********************************************

Thanks for all the shoe suggestions ladies. And taxy, I have a bunion, fallen arches, and high insteps. Himself's cousin had foot surgery a while back, and now her foot is worse off than before! Not interested in going that route. Gotta admit I love summer best - my feet enjoy it most when they are bare or just in sox. No shoes. If my one foot starts to hurt I just wrap an old Ace wrist support around it at the arch and I'm good to go!

The LLBean moccasins look pretty comfy, and so does their price. Bonus, there is an LLB store on the way to one of the two Penzeys stores we've gone to, each about 45 miles away. Will have to check them out after the holidays.
I have met a few people who had foot surgery for bunions and none of them were happy with it.

Yeah, with bunions it gets harder to find shoes that fit. Fit is my big issue. I only buy leather shoes and I make sure the lining is leather or stretchy. Those shoes are going to have to stretch at the bunion. Sometimes I can find sandals that don't go across the bunion, then the shoes don't have to be leather.

Good luck with the shoe hunt.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #15102
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My opinion might change when I get older but the one I got for a wedding present broke at least 20 years ago and I haven't felt the need to replace it.

I had a different one before and I couldn't get the hang of it. We still have a manual in case the power goes out, but this one works great. A can opener isn't really a big priority item! LOL
__________________

__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #15103
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have met a few people who had foot surgery for bunions and none of them were happy with it.

Yeah, with bunions it gets harder to find shoes that fit. Fit is my big issue. I only buy leather shoes and I make sure the lining is leather or stretchy. Those shoes are going to have to stretch at the bunion. Sometimes I can find sandals that don't go across the bunion, then the shoes don't have to be leather.

Good luck with the shoe hunt.
My daughter has had the surgery more than once. And as you said, Not Happy! It comes from her wearing those dang pointed high heels. Now it is only flats or heels no higher than 1.5 inches. She has also had her toenails removed more than once. Pointed heels again, the cause.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #15104
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My daughter has had the surgery more than once. And as you said, Not Happy! It comes from her wearing those dang pointed high heels. Now it is only flats or heels no higher than 1.5 inches. She has also had her toenails removed more than once. Pointed heels again, the cause.
They say that bunions aren't caused by wearing pointy shoes. I don't doubt that it isn't the only possible cause. I have had bunions since I was a teenager, wearing those danged pointy shoes.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #15105
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Wow, 20 pounds! How many tamales do you make?
About 4 hundred, we only do it once a year. He keeps around 300 of them I bring the rest home. LOOOOVE tamales!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #15106
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They say that bunions aren't caused by wearing pointy shoes. I don't doubt that it isn't the only possible cause. I have had bunions since I was a teenager, wearing those danged pointy shoes.
Bunions are mostly caused by pressure on the bit toe. My problem was always corns and blisters. That and trying to find size 5EEE. Open toe heels during my working days. Against company rules, but I didn't care. I cared about my feet more.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #15107
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
About 4 hundred, we only do it once a year. He keeps around 300 of them I bring the rest home. LOOOOVE tamales!
Would love your tamale recipie


Cannot seem to warm up here. The wind feels like it goes right though you, here.
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #15108
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Would love your tamale recipie


Cannot seem to warm up here. The wind feels like it goes right though you, here.
I will have to ask J for it, even I don't know all the ingredients and I've been working for my tamales for 7 years.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #15109
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I will have to ask J for it, even I don't know all the ingredients and I've been working for my tamales for 7 years.
I'm guessing they are the best there is with your TRT recipie. Look forward to trying them out if J is willing to share
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #15110
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My daughter has had the surgery more than once. And as you said, Not Happy! It comes from her wearing those dang pointed high heels. Now it is only flats or heels no higher than 1.5 inches. She has also had her toenails removed more than once. Pointed heels again, the cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They say that bunions aren't caused by wearing pointy shoes. I don't doubt that it isn't the only possible cause. I have had bunions since I was a teenager, wearing those danged pointy shoes.
Can't be just pointy-toed shoes - never wore them in my life. Never wore heels over 2", but those were only for holiday church dress-up. Usually wore flats or near-flats. Never wore plastic/vinyl/cheap shoes either. Mom started me with Buster Browns (remember wiggling your toes as they were bombarded with x-rays? ) and I've always worn leather or quality fabric (Keds, et al) all my life. Oh, and my aunt The Nun had toenails removed. And she wore Nun Shoes. Definitely NOT pointy!
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.