What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like fun Joel, and gets you out of the house for a bit!
It is kinda fun! Thanks. And yes, I do get to remove myself from what has become a somewhat oppressive environment for a few hours without feeling like I’m abandoning Mark. It’s a bit lonely, though, compared to a regular nine-to-five. But I’m not complaining!!! I’d trade the old office camaraderie for a flexible schedule anytime!

No more ladder for a while, Cheryl. Meanwhile, I'm thoroughly enjoying my little corner of paradise. Love my sun room - now that the cleaning is done! Don't forget, everywhere you see floor has glass above, along with five ceiling beams.

What a great accomplishment CG, and it looks beautiful. There's no way on earth I'd get on a ladder to do the roof windows though, even when I was young. Anything higher than a step ladder is out of the question for me.
Have you priced out how much money it would take to have a pro window washer come in and do the whole thing next time?

Technically, Kayelle, I didn't do the "roof" windows. I did the inside of the roof windows using a step ladder - and never going above the third step (of six). Himself actually is in charge of the outside, and he has a long-handled gizmo with a scrubber-sponge-squeegee-solution reservoir that he uses. He has no problem with ladders, and doesn't have to go up the extension ladder (with its special bracket to keep it steady) very far. Normally he has cleaned the roof and has the screens in place, but that hasn't happened yet. When it's warm enough to spray cold water on the roof (and then have that cold water blow back on him), he's had medical appointments. When he's home, it's cold or raining. Mother Nature hasn't been in sync with him...yet.

BTW, when our handyman was over to clean gutters a couple of years ago, I asked him how much extra he would charge for the sun room roof. I know he'd crawl on it since he stood on it to replace the siding on the house once the sun room was attached. (Yes, you CAN stand on the glass roof. It's built for that. Just don't stand on the seams where the ceiling panels connect.) He said it would be an extra $100. Not bad - but since then Himself got an iRobot Looj and cleans the gutters himself. :LOL:

That iRobot Looj looks like a useful toy, albeit not cheap. I liked the video. We won't be buying one. Gutter cleaning is contracted out by the condo association and paid out of condo fees.

Poo notified me via email this morning that he is coming down from Vermont this afternoon and is going to stop by. I am not a breakfast person, but decided to eat now so that if he shows up at the same time my lunch is being delivered, I can devote all my time with him. Lunch can wait.

I found two large tomatoes just on the verge of going soft. So I cut them up and with all the juice from them, mixed in some Ranch Dressing, and it filled up the custard bowl I put it all in. After I am done, I have to put a new dressing on my left leg.

Second day of vacation, it is cold and drizzly. Before I go over to Dda's, I'll get some weeds pulled and start leveling the next part of the south yard for mulch and stepping stones. Then I'll see if Dad needs anything done that he can't and I can.

We're at Lowe's getting a new grill! Yay! [emoji2] Our old one is junk - the starter doesn't work and there's about a 6x6 inch area that actually cooks. I was so aggravated last week when I was trying to grill some veggies for my couscous salad - it took forever.

This new one will be practically free! We transferred credit card shopping points to our bank account and got a bonus, plus DH gets a 10% discount for being a military veteran.

Congrats, GG! Free is good! We're trying to limp through one more summer with our soon-to-be-18 year old grill. Our starter died years ago, but Himself uses a grill lighter. He's replaced the burner a couple of times, so it cooks fine. However, the grate that holds the briquettes has rusted to the point of losing those nuggets, so now he's rebuilding the grate. It gave him his last excuse to go out and buy a nice Bernzomatic torch for his Father's Day present! :LOL:

That iRobot Looj looks like a useful toy, albeit not cheap...
We didn't pay that much though, taxy. Himself found one on eBay that ended up costing us $100 total. It came with a 30-day return option, so he figured it was a good bet - and it was. Considering our handyman charged $160 for gutter cleaning, Looj paid for itself with one use...but we've already used it more than that.

I just finished my first shift as a shopper!...
Getting paid to grocery shop sounds like a dream job, Joel! My problem, though, is that I take so darned long to pick out products that my $$-per-hour wouldn't be much. :LOL: Thankfully, my working days are over and now I only have to muddle ingredients lists and examine produce for just my kitchen. ;) Have fun shopping with other people's money, though!

CG, I'm still thinking about all of those huge sun room windows!! It exhausting to just think about all of them. When I had my big house in my past life, I hired professionals to come in and clean them all inside and out. It was worth every single penny, and it really wasn't that expensive. Unless you really enjoy doing it, check out the pro prices.

Last edited:
It is rather late. At midnight, I have to go downstairs and put two loads of laundry in the dryers. Then I have to get ready for tomorrow. I have two appointments. One at Winthrop in the a.m. and one at the hospital in the p.m. for my Pre Op workup. Winthrop is to pick up my drugs.

My bad leg is weeping AGAIN! It is not painful. In fact, I don't even feel it. But the weeping is happening above the dressing. It is saline water from inside my leg. And it does a number on my skin. I now have a scar from when it first started. The saline was burning my skin. And it makes the dressing below the weeper soaking wet. So I have to change the dressing several times a day. I finally found a solution. A really THICK dressing over the hole to catch all the drippings. For a while, the inside of the back of my slipper has been soaking wet from the weeper running down my leg.

I am so psyched! I am scheduled for the surgery this Friday and I can hardly wait. Last week I made an attempt to walk and put on my shoes. Today I walked around my apartment and even stood at the stove long enough to make supper for the two of us while Pirate slept. Life is beginning to look up! I am beginning to feel so much better. Physically and mentally.

Last edited:
Addie, I'm glad that you're feeling a bit better and have treatment lined up. However, could you PLEASE put the icky description comments in The Sick Room thread? That way we at least have warning that some people's details might be rather...um, graphic? Thanks a lot! 'preciate it. ;)

CG, I'm still thinking about all of those huge sun room windows!! It exhausting to just think about all of them...
I hate parting with money to have someone do something that I'm still capable of doing, Kayelle. If I hire someone, I'll think that I'm giving in to old age. :LOL: Besides, I don't do it all in one day. It took parts of three days, and not all in a row. Crab as I do, I get a real sense of accomplishment when a big job like that is done. I've had my wobbly ankles - along with my paranoia about ticks and Lyme disease - take gardening away from me. I'll keep cleaning and scrubbing and save the hiring for a landscaper to do the big clean-out-the-garden jobs.

I hate parting with money to have someone do something that I'm still capable of doing, Kayelle. If I hire someone, I'll think that I'm giving in to old age. :LOL: Besides, I don't do it all in one day. It took parts of three days, and not all in a row. Crab as I do, I get a real sense of accomplishment when a big job like that is done. I've had my wobbly ankles - along with my paranoia about ticks and Lyme disease - take gardening away from me. I'll keep cleaning and scrubbing and save the hiring for a landscaper to do the big clean-out-the-garden jobs.

Gathering up my files for my first visit. Hopefully the new doctor will have a different approach for my back and hips. I want to be able to do most of the work outside again. I watch the goslings get stuck in the long grass because my helper can't come exactly when needed - either another job interferes or it rains!
LOL - when he does come it takes him 4 to 6 hours to cut and whipper, including one or 2 paddocks. It takes me 8, if I don't do all of it, or 10 and that's not including the paddocks. and that does not include weeding.

Listening to Shrek's Wake music he left for me to play. I don't want to be surprised and I know which ones will make me cry. Don't really want to play "I'm an A......" by Dennis Leary. But there it is and I can't remove it. The second disc must be his silly music.

Back
Top Bottom