"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #15111
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have never worn tight, pointy or high shoes. Foot comfort does not come at too steep a price for me. Of course, I have the feet of a Hobbit...

Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #15112
Master Chef

Well then PF, with Hobbit Feet you have no need for shoes!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #15113
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Well then PF, with Hobbit Feet you have no need for shoes!
Except they get cold...
Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #15114
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh joy! I have to go to Winthrop today for my monthly checkup. I wish they would just leave me alone and I would let them know when I need them.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #15115
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh joy! I have to go to Winthrop today for my monthly checkup. I wish they would just leave me alone and I would let them know when I need them.
It has to do with payment systems and requirements for your medical benefits. You have to be seen once a month. We have the same thing at work, but trying to keep all the docs on the compliance schedule is a PITB.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #15116
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It has to do with payment systems and requirements for your medical benefits. You have to be seen once a month. We have the same thing at work, but trying to keep all the docs on the compliance schedule is a PITB.
Every six month we get reevaluated. Can I cook my meals, do my own housework, etc. The last question they ask me is "What is your goal?" I give them the same one. "To not need you folks anymore." But I know it will never happen. Everyone has a dream. My big one is I want to take up the bicycle again. Can't do it. Balance problems with my ears. But I still dream.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #15117
Chef Extraordinaire

I just trimmed some branches that I noticed when I was snow blowing the driveway the other week. Now I think I'll re-do those driveway reflectors I never got to yesterday. It's a nice day to be outside.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #15118
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Gotta admit I love summer best - my feet enjoy it most when they are bare or just in sox. No shoes. If my one foot starts to hurt I just wrap an old Ace wrist support around it at the arch and I'm good to go!
so maybe it's worth giving Vibrams a try?
I've heard they even have winter models...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #15119
Executive Chef

I wore very high heels most of my adult life. In the 90's I started going to lower heels, and when I started a new job in 2001 we were allowed to dress very casual so I wore my Nikes. I googled bunions and it says they are caused when shoes are too tight and the toe box comes to a point instead of being more rounded. They can also be hereditary. My grandmother had huge bunions back in the 50's. She had the biggest, ugliest feet I ever saw as a little child! LOL She didn't wear high heels, ever. I never developed bunions, but my feet grew over the past couple years. I used to wear an 8 1/2 shoe and now I wear a 9 1/2. I had to give away a lot of shoes because I just can't fit my feet in them. I also had to buy a narrow width all the time and now I can wear a medium. I know that comes with age, your feet just start to spread out. But my feet never hurt, and for that I'm thankful. I wear sandals around the house all the time so I can just slip them off when I sit down. I'm never barefoot. I only wear shoes if I go out somewhere.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #15120
Executive Chef

My grandmother wore those black old lady shoes that laced up. She always had a big hole cut in the side so her bunion could stick out. At home she was always barefoot. I can't stand to be barefoot, and I can't wear things like flip-flops either. I have to have support for my feet.