"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #15121
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here with a pile of appointment cards for medical appointments in December and January. The only clinic I am not scheduled to go to is Obstetrics. Well, I better get busy and start to enter them in my calendar.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #15122
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Watching the Weather channel to see when we'll get the predicted ice storm. As I mentioned yesterday, the outlook is expected to be similar to the one in January 2009.

We had planned to leave bright and early tomorrow morning to drive to Atlanta to have Christmas with two of my children and their families. Doesn't look like we'll be going. Even if we did get there, another storm is expected the day we are slated to drive home.

That being the case, we've decided not to make the trip. Too many risks both to us while traveling and to what might occur here at the house with ice damage, etc.

So we've regrouped and prepared our "nest" for the onslaught.

Plenty of extra water to drink and to flush with. Plenty of food canned, fresh, frozen. Light sources available, either oil lamps or battery-powered. Extra batteries on hand. Phones charged. Computer charged.

All animals "tucked in" and have lots of extra food and water for them. I made my girls an especially cozy bed out of an old goose down comforter. The studio is normally nice and warm, but if the electricity goes off, they'll need extra warmth.

We'll be all tucked in, too. Lots of comforters and blankets available for the humans of this household.

Gas logs in the living room are at the ready and the gas cooktop in the kitchen can be pressed into service at a moment's notice.

If necessary, we have some spare cash. Last time, because of no electricity, all electronic cash machines and cash registers didn't work, so cash became king.

Guess we're ready.

The grandchildren will be disappointed but I'd rather visit them when it's safer.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #15123
Chef Extraordinaire

Are the vehicles gassed up with plenty of windshield defrost liquid? I'm guessing yes - you seem quite well prepared

Here's hoping there's little or no damage. Sorry you have to miss Christmas with the kids. My mom likes to say people should celebrate Christmas in July, but of course, she flies to California to see the grandkids anyway
Old 12-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #15124
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
so maybe it's worth giving Vibrams a try?
I've heard they even have winter models...
There are a couple of "Five-Finger Shoe" manufacturers in the U.S. but I also need some arch support at times. Seems like my day is spent kicking shoes on and off! Besides, those probably feel funny on feet. I can't even wear those toe-socks that our daughter loves!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #15125
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
.... I had to give away a lot of shoes because I just can't fit my feet in them.....
You reminded me of an organization that collects shoes for the needy: http://soles4souls.org/. A friend collects them locally (central MA) but I'm sure there are other community groups that also collect for Soles 4 Souls. Might be an option for donations instead of Goodwill and all.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #15126
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Watching the Weather channel to see when we'll get the predicted ice storm. As I mentioned yesterday, the outlook is expected to be similar to the one in January 2009.....................If necessary, we have some spare cash. Last time, because of no electricity, all electronic cash machines and cash registers didn't work, so cash became king.

Guess we're ready.

The grandchildren will be disappointed but I'd rather visit them when it's safer.
Toilet paper? You didn't mention toilet paper. My Dad always said there are two things you should always have on hand, toilet paper and soap. In the event that bartering must be done he said those two commodities would get you more than bullets. He lived in a simpler time...

Hopefully you'll get than chance to see the grandkids soon in the new year.

Posts all read? Check. Commented on a couple? Of course! All caught up on DC? *sigh* That means by break time is up. Off to do more Christmas-y things.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #15127
Master Chef

I was just thinking that I should remind everyone to watch your purse while shopping. My sons girlfriend had hers stolen the day before Thanksgiving. She had it in her cart at the grocery store and turned her back for a second and it was gone. They saw on the store video that a man was following her around the store, just waiting for his chance. Please be careful.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #15128
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Watching "The Sound of Music" on NBC. Love that musical. Carrie Underwood is doing a fantastic job!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #15129
Chef Extraordinaire

I just finished dinner. Watching the tube right now.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #15130
Chef Extraordinaire

Trying to warm up! The temp here is 0. Bitter cold all day. Tried to do some Christmas shopping. Just being in the store 20 mn required to re warm up the car for 10 minutes! Enough of that! High of 3 expected tomorrow.