"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #15201
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I love my utility scissors for the kitchen. One day I ran across another pair in a cute little wooden holder with what I thought were a set of steak knives. It was at the Family Dollar store and only $3 so I bought it. It turned out to have 4 different types of knives - boning, small and larger paring and one steak knife.

I have one pair of the utility scissors in a drawer on the left side of my kitchen and one in the wooden holder on the right side - so handy, whichever side of the kitchen you're working on.

I use them for everything from opening mix packets to trimming chicken.

My kitchen is so small that no matter where I'm standing, I can reach the drawer on the left and the holder on the right at the same time. LOL Last night I was cleaning out my utensil drawers and I found another pair of black utility scissors just like the ones that came with my new set of knives. I pushed it way in the back of the drawer so my husband can't find them. The dog needs a haircut for Christmas.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #15202
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wondering what the heck I'm going to do with this bit of news...I am allergic to shrimp and possibly crab, clams. etc. They served us a luncheon today for our great survey and I had 4 medium sized shrimp with cocktail sauce. About 30 minutes later, lips started tingling, ringing and itching in my ears, a little difficulty breathing. Nothing worse, luckily.

But, damn!!! Shrimp???

That's terrible PF. I think I would test that out again. Since you didn't prepare the shrimp it might have been something on the shrimp or in the sauce instead of the shrimp.Once, back in my 30's, I had some kind of medical test, like an upper or lower GI involving dye. My throat started to swell shut and my voice started to sound like Minnie Mouse. My one eye was also swelled shut. The tech paged a doctor. In the several minutes it took to get him there the swelling started to subside, slowly. They did not treat me for it since it was starting to go away and I had driven myself to the facility. I had to stay there for about an hour for observation and they told me from now on I have to be pre-medicated for anything involving dye. Throughout all my heart issues I always get premedicated before catheterizations. But I eat tons of seafood with no problem! I always wonder if that was an isolated incident but I'm afraid to take a chance and always get the pre-medication.

A friend took his mother to a seafood buffet. She ate 2 pieces of shrimp and fell off the chair onto the floor. Had to be rushed to the ER in an ambulance. Not good advertising for the restaurant.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #15203
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Right now I am so sleepy. But every time I go to lie down, I am wide awake. May I should just sleep in the chair. Something I have never done.
That happens to me occasionally. I usually just give it up and make myself a cup of coffee and stay awake.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #15204
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought a turkey on sale a couple weeks ago, .28/lb. Today I'm going to cook it. My first time cooking a whole turkey. Hopefully I'll be eating it.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #15205
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I bought a turkey on sale a couple weeks ago, .28/lb. Today I'm going to cook it. My first time cooking a whole turkey. Hopefully I'll be eating it.
That's a really, really small turkey!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #15206
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm guessing that's the price, but even that's very, very low.

Pac, if you got it that cheap (or small) and it's your first whole turkey, I wouldn't expect a great bird to result. Cheap turkey in my experience, equals tough meat, full of tendons. I hope you try all the tricks (brining) to make it tender.

Keep us posted! With your cooking skills, I'm sure you'll find a way to pull this off!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #15207
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, it's a Butterball, so it was indeed cheap but it's a name brand anyway.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #15208
Master Chef

It's been my experience that 28 cent turkey tastes twice as good as 56 cent turkey!

I think they had me in mind when they made this commercial!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #15209
Sous Chef

Ever since they came out with them, we get the frozen pre-stuffed Butterball's. Direct from freezer to oven...no defrosting involved. We've never been disappointing.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #15210
Master Chef

Today, I'm making more candy!
Yesterday was fudge, coconut balls, pretzel candies with kisses/M&M's and Reindeer Fodder.
Today is Oreo truffles, Eggnog cookies and Melting snowman cookies. I'm going to do a cranberry fudge, either today as well or tomorrow.