"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #15211
Executive Chef

Well, I was kidding about the size, because I thought it was 28lb and she made a typo with the decimal point.

I have had cheap turkeys and they tasted fine to me. Never found one that cheap, though. I'm wondering just how bad could it be?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #15212
Chef Extraordinaire

Sonofagun, pre-stuffed turkeys. I've never seen one, but I've never looked for one either.
The only thing going inside my bird is a 24 oz can of Heineken

Old 12-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #15213
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wondering what the heck I'm going to do with this bit of news...I am allergic to shrimp and possibly crab, clams. etc. They served us a luncheon today for our great survey and I had 4 medium sized shrimp with cocktail sauce. About 30 minutes later, lips started tingling, ringing and itching in my ears, a little difficulty breathing. Nothing worse, luckily.

But, damn!!! Shrimp???
PF I too am allergic to seafood. It is the iodine in the little critters that cause the problems. I pretty much stay away from Deep Sea Scallops. They are always high in iodine. Clams are pretty safe for me. Crab? I will take a small bite and I can taste instantly if there is any iodine in there. I will immediately spit it out and I don't care if I am at a black tie dinner at The White House. Lobsters aren't too bad. Once in a blue moon one will be high in iodine. Oysters? They can sit there with the scallops. More dangerous for me than the scallops. I still have a strong reaction to the scallops and oysters. So I just quit messing with them. I find the deeper in the ocean you find the culprit living, the more likely they are to have iodine in them. Clams you find along the edge of the seashore.

The first reaction I ever had was from crab salad. My face and tongue swelled up along with my arms. A trip to the ER and a shot took care of the problem. For a long time they couldn't use any medical swab that ended in 'dine. Benadine, Iodine, etc. Over the years exposure to minute doses of iodine have decreased my reaction to it. But I am still not willing to test scallops or oysters. BTW, the bigger the critter, the more iodine is stored in it. So jumbo shrimp will have far more iodine than peewees.

Be careful and don't take it for granted that this is just a one time adverse event. Most likely it is not. And this comes from someone who developed this allergy more than 40 years ago. The allergy is still with me, just not as severe at it was in the beginning. Good Luck!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #15214
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's how it started with my father. Next thing you know it's any shell fish. He's wound up at the emergency room before with a swollen tongue/difficulty breathing from eating fries that were cooked in the same oil shrimp were fried in. After that he started being real careful any time he ate out.

I've got a friend who works in clay. He's got some pretty bizarre stuff at his house. Moreso because it's lifesize.
Thanks for that reminder, Pac...no french fries anyplace that has fried shrimp on the menu. I appreciate it!!!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #15215
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

I've got a friend who works in clay. He's got some pretty bizarre stuff at his house. Moreso because it's lifesize.
Wow. Intriguing, and more than a little creepy. Beautiful work though. This is life sized?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #15216
Executive Chef

Quote:
Sonofagun, pre-stuffed turkeys. I've never seen one, but I've never looked for one either.
The only thing going inside my bird is a 24 oz can of Heineken

Maybe they are OK because they are frozen, but I've always heard not to stuff your turkey until right before you put it in the oven, don't put warm stuffing into a cold turkey, etc.

On the other hand, I have a friend who said her mother stuffed her turkey the night before every Thanksgiving and no one ever got sick. I'm leary.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #15217
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Well, it's a Butterball, so it was indeed cheap but it's a name brand anyway.
Wow! A butterball for 28 a pound! I'm impressed! Now you're making me drool.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #15218
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Wow. Intriguing, and more than a little creepy. Beautiful work though. This is life sized?
Life sized for whatever South American people his work is influenced by. They were a short people
This piece had something to do with the struggle with Christianity. I don't remember what the snake for the leg was for... maybe he was a god or something. I do remember asking him how he got the snake skin so detailed and he told me he used a mesh potato bag to give it the scales.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #15219
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Wow! A butterball for 28 a pound! I'm impressed! Now you're making me drool.
Yep. A 20 lb turkey for the approximate price of a Costco rotisserie chicken
Old 12-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #15220
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Maybe they are OK because they are frozen, but I've always heard not to stuff your turkey until right before you put it in the oven, don't put warm stuffing into a cold turkey, etc.

On the other hand, I have a friend who said her mother stuffed her turkey the night before every Thanksgiving and no one ever got sick. I'm leery.
I used to stuff my birds the night before, but they went right back into the fridge as soon as I was done. They stayed there until time to go into the oven the next day. I made sure the stuffing was cold when it went into the birds. It isn't the dressing vs. the bird as the culprit. It is both. Raw eggs in the dressing and the raw bird with it own set of problems. Combined, you are asking for major problems unless the bird is thoroughly cooked. This when you definitely need a meat thermometer.