"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #15221
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here bemoaning the fact that my arms look like I have had one heck of a severe beating. The upper left arm is dark blue, almost black from the BP cuff going off every 15 minutes. The whole right arm looks about the same from all the tourniquets and pokes while trying to find an accessible vein for the IV. This is what happens when you are on two blood thinners.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #15222
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Life sized for whatever South American people his work is influenced by. They were a short people
This piece had something to do with the struggle with Christianity. I don't remember what the snake for the leg was for... maybe he was a god or something. I do remember asking him how he got the snake skin so detailed and he told me he used a mesh potato bag to give it the scales.
Got a pix to show us? Sounds intriguing.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #15223
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

Life sized for whatever South American people his work is influenced by. They were a short people
This piece had something to do with the struggle with Christianity. I don't remember what the snake for the leg was for... maybe he was a god or something. I do remember asking him how he got the snake skin so detailed and he told me he used a mesh potato bag to give it the scales.
Great idea. I carved a fish for a key rack once, and painted it, and for some reason accidentally put a paper towel on the wet paint. When I lifted off the paper towel, it had made a perfect impression of scales.

I'd love to see more pics of your friend's work too. I take it he does this professionally?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #15224
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Now you're giving me ideas, Dawg.

I'm thinking of redecorating in an aquarium theme where I could imprint a pale blue/turquoise fish across my walls that would be washable.

Right now, my decor is shades of terra cotta, light colored woods with a touch of turquoise and loads of house plants.

I've been wanting to go more turquoise, but haven't been able to figure out how to make a smooth transition.

Any ideas?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #15225
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Zhizara, maybe check out the decor of some of the casas in the Caribbean. Where we go in Mexico, there are many delightful murals with a sea theme that could be inspirational.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #15226
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Trying to decide what to wear for a less than thirty minute trip outside in -9F weather. I just now realized my winter boots are still in the car from my trip to Helena, same with my winter coat...
Old 12-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #15227
Certified Pretend Chef

So you really need to decide what to wear out to the car and back.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #15228
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So you really need to decide what to wear out to the car and back.
That's all I need...and to remember to bring the things left in the car. If I go out...I may as well finish my trip, get back home and have a hot chocolate and relax. I won't be putting on the boots and coat, they will be COLD! I also need to remember to bring in the frozen salsa so it can thaw before my party tonight.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #15229
Executive Chef

Pac, How are you cooking that turkey? Beer can turkey? Does it sit upright on your gas grill? Or is it drink the Heineken and set it low and forget it? That was some deal.

One year when Everyone went Black Friday shopping, I went to the grocer, and found they had marked down their fresh/ never frozen turkeys that hadn't sold to some ridiculous give-away prices. I bought two and some parts and promptly took them home and froze them for later use. So much for "fresh".
Old 12-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #15230
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Great idea. I carved a fish for a key rack once, and painted it, and for some reason accidentally put a paper towel on the wet paint. When I lifted off the paper towel, it had made a perfect impression of scales.

I'd love to see more pics of your friend's work too. I take it he does this professionally?
He used to teach art, but I don't know if he actually sold anything or not. His studio leads me to believe he kept everything
I'll take some pics next time I'm over there.
Here's a couple more in the meantime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	137089-662947-7.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	19990   Click image for larger version

Name:	137089-662955-7.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	19991