What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish Cake

still have not come up with an actual plan for the cake. Yesterday I at least decided to colour some fondant for when I do have an inspiring thought... Thought my hands would either ache horribly today or actually feel better. Surprisingly neither occurred. I found a turtle and a fish cookie cutters which I will use on the fondant.
Also found a giant Nemo to top the cake. It is water activated and swims around. Cute.

Have only 4 days to get my brain in gear... LOL

Attachments

• 20180909_071614.jpg
    20180909_071614.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 88
Wondering where in blue blazes Himself is! It was going to be too cloudy of a night for stargazing, so he figured he go up to the college about 23 miles away for their monthly astronomy club meeting. He belonged to a club when we lived in OH, but never joined one here; his work schedule made it difficult. He's trying to recruit some fellow telescope owners to join him at the farm for a one-weekend, big viewing event. A different group joined him last year, but with a change in club officers suddenly they feel they should be paid for showing up. :glare: Odd, since most everyone else who is a hobby astronomer is happy to freely share their love of the science. Rhode Islanders - go figure. :LOL:

The thought that he might actually be out with these people socializing has crossed my mind, but then I think "MY husband? He just doesn't...socialize". :huh: Could there be hope that he'll learn how? Oh Lord, I sure hope so.

Yup. Folks from Massachusetts just try to ignore them. They are one of those red clam chowder folks. Even though they are listed as one of the New England states, we try not to ever mention that.

Actually, they're know for their Rhode Island Clear chowder, Addie. The red kind is Manhattan, and what do New Yorkers know about chowder...:rolleyes: I love Rhode Island chowder. It's clammy and chock full of all the good things and tastes like the briny sea, without all of the calories of the creamy style. So much good flavor, and saved calories for other food down the road...like ice cream for dessert. :yum:

And don't go talking bad about Rhode Island. If it hadn't been a further drive to Himself's office, we might have ended up living down there. It's a lovely state to drive through, and Providence is a smaller, easier to navigate city than Boston. A real gem in the New England collection, really.

Long before you moved here, the Feds investigated the city of Providence. It seems that the local govt. along with a lot of state workers belonged to the Mafia. A whole bunch of them are still in prison. Some for life. When the former mayor was released from prison, he was going to run for his old position. Was stopped cold in his tracks. He was on parole and couldn't run even for his life.

Actually, they're know for their Rhode Island Clear chowder, Addie. The red kind is Manhattan, and what do New Yorkers know about chowder...:rolleyes: I love Rhode Island chowder. It's clammy and chock full of all the good things and tastes like the briny sea, without all of the calories of the creamy style. So much good flavor, and saved calories for other food down the road...like ice cream for dessert. :yum:

And don't go talking bad about Rhode Island. If it hadn't been a further drive to Himself's office, we might have ended up living down there. It's a lovely state to drive through, and Providence is a smaller, easier to navigate city than Boston. A real gem in the New England collection, really.
That sounds like the kind of clam”chowder” I can get on board with! Although I think the recipe itself is poorly written.

And hey guys! Manhattan clam chowder isn’t that bad, although it’s not really a chowder either.

I once taught a cooking/English class in Japan, and clam chowder was on the menu. The menu consisted of Caesar salad, clam chowder, Buffalo chicken wings (which just starting to be popular in the States, and fudge. The clam chowder was very close to the recipe you linked us to. No flour in mine, instead I thicken it just a bit with cornstarch…

Buddy Cianci. That happened when we were here.

Boston isn't exactly known for always being on the up-and-up. Most every big city had some sort of Mafia connection, or some other corrupt group influencing city activities. Boston had Billy Bulger. Now there's the big overtime scandal with the Highway Patrol. Chicago had Richard Daley. Cleveland sent Jimmy Demora off to jail since we moved here. Decades before that, Eliot Ness came in to clean up the city of corruption. It didn't last long...:glare:

Back when I was young, pre-teen age I think, we went over to a distant relative's home for a family dinner. Or it could have been a "family" dinner. :brows: My Dad's sister had married a man whose sister was married to a man who was the *ahem* accountant for...the Cleveland Syndicate. :ohmy:

After Himself and I bought our first home, a nice couple was building on the adjacent lot. They were engaged to be married, but had started building so that it was ready after their wedding. It was a very nice house, rather upscale compared to the rest of our homes. She worked as a file clerk for the FBI, he was a car salesman for a dealer in Independence, OH. One day when I get home from work, my neighbor on the other side calls me to ask me if I had seen the news about our neighbors being taken into custody. :huh: What? While talking to her, I could hear playback of our conversation in my ear, so I told her I had to go. Called Himself at work right away, he said he was coming right home. We deduced that there had to be some sort of tap or recording on our phone line. The next day I call the FBI and ask "who do you think you are and why do you have a wiretap on my phone?" and was put on hold...only to have someone come back shortly and ask if they could come to my office to speak with me.

A couple of days later, I had three FBI detectives all over my phone connection at the street box, at the back of our home, and in the basement where the line came in. They asked me "have you ever heard the name Marconi?". Sure, he invented the teletype, right? Nope, the Marconi they were talking about was Carmen, the mob's wire man. :ohmy: Turned out the the wire tap was probably someone from the news media trying to find out if we knew anything, but for a while we were the most interesting people on our block. :LOL:

We watched a movie a few years back called "Kill the Irishman" about the Cleveland mob and the killing of Danny Green. Very good movie - or at least we thought so since we noticed some area landmarks while watching it. ;)

Getting ready to make sure all things in my yard are secure except for trash can (which will go into garage Wednesday) then get Mom up and go get more water and batteries.

Just sent Pirate off to get groceries with my daughter. So I have to get the kitchen ready for all the bags that will be coming in. I have been up since four this morning. I really want to go back to bed. No such luck.

Letting my brain rest after yesterday's cake and party... big success. I certainly won't win any awards but everyone loved it. Kids loved finding and counting all the different decorations.

Had also done a ring mold jello with green on the bottom and blue on the top. Made some "crabs" to stick on top. When I brought it out of the fridge - all the crabs had slowly sliced thru the jello and were either on their backs in the middle or doing a face plant around the outside edge. Good laugh and of course, forgot to take pictures! Also added some fondant cut outs which slowly melted and slid down the jelly too.

Attachments

• 20180915_134332.jpg
    20180915_134332.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 20180916_095629.jpg
    20180916_095629.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20180915_134349.jpg
    20180915_134349.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 89
gosh, golly gee whiz... thanks for the praise guys - I'sa'pprecitates.

luckily the gross mistakes don't show in the photos. It was a fly by the seat of the pants, sort of put together as I went along. Should have had Lydia giving me some more advise but as per usual I hemmed and hawed and left it too late.

Farmer Jon, a family friend worked a logging truck in the interior of the province and I went to visit them one summer. He took me on a trip in to get the logs, and then bring them back down the mountain. Here we are on sometimes very narrow roads going downhill and around many turns with this huge load of dead trees on board. It was one of the scariest and exciting memories... and I was in my early 20's at the time LOL!! I am glad Jasper enjoyed himself as well.

Back
Top Bottom