"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #15331
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Really? I could have sworn I saw... Oh never mind...
Nope. Wasn't me. I don't even know how to drive. And I no longer have enough strength in my hands to turn the ignition on. But you might find me at the local skating rink doing camel spins and jumps.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #15332
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The best purchase I saw as a cashier was a can of whipped cream, duct tape and a disposable camera.

Was that you working the register? I didn't even recognize you!!

Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #15333
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Was that you working the register? I didn't even recognize you!!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #15334
Executive Chef

A lot of people complain about WalMart but I save so much money when I shop there. I realize their employees work for minimum wage with no benefits, but many are very happy that they have a job at all. I did my time. I worked retail for minimum wage for several years, and back then, minimum wage was $1 per hour.

I have never had a problem with WalMart. They price-match, and one time they did it for me without proof, I just said that GE had the coffee for a lower price and they matched it on the spot. I never have a problem returning anything. No questions asked. I have heard about long lines at the check-out but our WalMart opens more registers as soon as they see the registers get 3 deep. I agree that it is very hard to find someone on the sales floor to help you. Nobody's perfect.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #15335
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
A lot of people complain about WalMart but I save so much money when I shop there. I realize their employees work for minimum wage with no benefits, but many are very happy that they have a job at all. I did my time. I worked retail for minimum wage for several years, and back then, minimum wage was $1 per hour.
I think the main problem some people have with Walmart is that their employees are paid so little, they're eligible for food stamps, Medicaid and other government assistance while the wealth owned by six members of the Walton family is equal to the wealth owned by almost 42 percent of the rest of the U.S. population.

If Walmart employees were paid a living wage, the rest of us wouldn't have to help support them. And people shouldn't be expected to be grateful for crumbs.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #15336
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think the main problem some people have with Walmart is that their employees are paid so little, they're eligible for food stamps, Medicaid and other government assistance while the wealth owned by six members of the Walton family is equal to the wealth owned by almost 42 percent of the rest of the U.S. population.

If Walmart employees were paid a living wage, the rest of us wouldn't have to help support them. And people shouldn't be expected to be grateful for crumbs.
I will probably get spanked for this, but in my opinion raising the minimum wage only pulls the middle class down. Today the bottom is $7.25 /hour and if the bottom goes up to $15.00/hour then prices and the cost of living will rise to meet that new purchasing power. The rich will still be on top as more of us slide to the bottom of the pile.

I think we need to get young folks to take the long view, stay in school, get an education and aim for a higher calling in life. When the pool of unskilled labor begins to shrink then the Walmarts of the world will begin to pay higher wages.

I'm done rambling and ranting for now.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #15337
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

I am with you GG. A worker has the right to expect to be able to support not only themselves, but their family when they go to work. Walmart's is really going to feel it when (or if) the new Healthcare program gets going. And the President is also pushing for an increase in the Federal minimum wage. A double whammy for the Walton kids.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #15338
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't see Wal-Mart sacrificing profits to pay employees more. Wages go up, prices go up. Prices go up, people don't shop there anymore. People don't shop there, employees are laid off. Ooops.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #15339
Chef Extraordinaire

Well at any rate I've decided to go to Walmart tomorrow
Old 12-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #15340
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I will probably get spanked for this, but in my opinion raising the minimum wage only pulls the middle class down. Today the bottom is $7.25 /hour and if the bottom goes up to $15.00/hour then prices and the cost of living will rise to meet that new purchasing power. The rich will still be on top as more of us slide to the bottom of the pile.

I think we need to get young folks to take the long view, stay in school, get an education and aim for a higher calling in life. When the pool of unskilled labor begins to shrink then the Walmarts of the world will begin to pay higher wages.

I'm done rambling and ranting for now.
The President is asking that the minimum wage be raised to $10. I consider that reasonable. If I were still part of the work force, with my skills, experience and knowledge, I would expect a minimum of $20 an hour. When I left the work force, I was making $18.

For kids in school, they often have to save for their supplies and other expenses. College kids who work presently for minimum wage have even bigger expenses to meet and save for.