"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #15341
Chef Extraordinaire

And I can see this subject is going to go overboard. Time to drop it and just say we agree to disagree. Nuf said!

Old 12-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #15342
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well at any rate I've decided to go to Walmart tomorrow
Me too!

Old 12-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #15343
Chef Extraordinaire

Happy Shopping and stay safe. Put those seatbelts on!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #15344
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't see Wal-Mart sacrificing profits to pay employees more. Wages go up, prices go up. Prices go up, people don't shop there anymore. People don't shop there, employees are laid off. Ooops.
That's not a given. For decades, companies have not shared profits with employees. Gains in productivity and sales have gone to owners and shareholders. If the minimum wage had kept up with productivity increases, it would be almost $22 per hour now.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #15345
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well, I have all the apples peeled and cut. Now I am waiting for the pie crust to warm up to room temperature. :

I have a question for all you cooks. When you are peeling a fruit or veggie, do you peel in one continuous strip or in small pieces? I peel round and round in one long strip. The peeling goes much faster. angel:
When I was a kid we were taught to make one continuous strip as a sort of game or contest to see who could peel the whole apple without breaking the peel. We were also constantly reminded that we were removing the peel and not the apple!

Now I use one of these to section the apple and then just take the paring knife and make a swipe against the strip of peel on each segment.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #15346
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's not a given. For decades, companies have not shared profits with employees. Gains in productivity and sales have gone to owners and shareholders. If the minimum wage had kept up with productivity increases, it would be almost $22 per hour now.
And I get good deals at Costco, which pays decent wages and has good benefits for their employees.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #15347
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I will probably get spanked for this, but in my opinion raising the minimum wage only pulls the middle class down. Today the bottom is $7.25 /hour and if the bottom goes up to $15.00/hour then prices and the cost of living will rise to meet that new purchasing power. The rich will still be on top as more of us slide to the bottom of the pile.

I think we need to get young folks to take the long view, stay in school, get an education and aim for a higher calling in life. When the pool of unskilled labor begins to shrink then the Walmarts of the world will begin to pay higher wages.

I'm done rambling and ranting for now.
Unfortunately a lot of people got the education and can only find minimum wage jobs.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #15348
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
And I get good deals at Costco, which pays decent wages and has good benefits for their employees.

It is not cost effective for me to shop where I have to pay a membership fee or where they sell such big packages.

I don't feel that the WalMart employees will be better off if everyone stops shopping there and the place goes under.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #15349
Chef Extraordinaire

That's right. That big empty building would be a perfect place for the zombies to hang out.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #15350
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
It is not cost effective for me to shop where I have to pay a membership fee or where they sell such big packages.
Her point is that Costco has low prices and still is able to provide their employees with a living wage and benefits. Walmart should be able to as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I don't feel that the WalMart employees will be better off if everyone stops shopping there and the place goes under.
Studies have shown that that belief, while it seems intuitive, is not true.