What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there, Munky....sure is good to hear from you again! Been thinking of you. Glad you have a new little pup, and hope Butters (love that name!) recovers soon. Have you moved yet? Like you and Casey, I've been having my share of homeowner issues...in the next week or so there will be roofers from dawn to dusk replacing my roof. Will be good to get it done, though.

Check in when you can, you've been missed!

Hi Munky. It is good to hear from you again.

It is stories like yours and Cheryl's that I gladly pay rent and let someone else have all the ownership fun.

Printing and filling out the IRS procrastinator form 4868.
I was planning on filing taxes this week but I just felt so lazy, even with Turbo Tax downloaded in my computer.

You can always move to Massachusetts. We have until the 17th of April to file. Patriots Day falls on the 15th and is a full fledged legal holiday in this state. No, we are not celebrating the Pats wining the Super Bowl. We all ready did that.

We are celebrating the start of the Revolutionary War and all the Patriots that fought and died in those battles. (For our non-American folks that live in other countries.)

If we're celebrating the beginning of the Revolutionary War, why aren't we celebrating in Worcester in September?

The True Start of the American Revolution

"On September 6, 1774, at dawn and through the morning, militia companies from 37 rural townships across Worcester County marched into the shiretown (county seat) of Worcester..." That's right - the party really started in Worcester about six months sooner. But I digress...

Just finished watching a video a friend had shared to Facebook. Although the theme is Facebook posting and political "discussion", I thought it might apply a bit to a food forum and the discussions there. I'll just leave this here and tiptoe out of sight...

"Opinion Rhapsody" Parody Rips Into Keyboard Warriors & Social Media Brawlers

I know the feeling. My house is now 18 years old, so things are failing left and right. Mother nature hasn't helped, with bees and squirrels taking up residence in my attic, and doing their share of damage.

I've already replaced my water heater, first floor AC system, and the washer and dryer. The second floor AC system is on borrowed time. The fridge is 25 years old, but still runs as of ten minutes ago. :ermm:

It's always something. :(

CD

Your right Casey..always something.:ohmy:
We wised up and bought the extra warranties (Sp) this time around.
Our house was built in 86.It's managed to hold up to two young romping, growing,rowdy boys.It's been fun.:cool:

Munky.

Last edited:
Hi there, Munky....sure is good to hear from you again! Been thinking of you. Glad you have a new little pup, and hope Butters (love that name!) recovers soon. Have you moved yet? Like you and Casey, I've been having my share of homeowner issues...in the next week or so there will be roofers from dawn to dusk replacing my roof. Will be good to get it done, though.

Check in when you can, you've been missed!

Awe shucks Cheryl :D
The move has been put off.On the bright side of it all.It's at least been over hauled except for the flooring (Butters!!!!!!):ROFLMAO:
It would be our luck the roof is next. What's the price going for in your area?

My lil" buddy Butters is doing great.Pins were removed yesterday.
He still has to be kept confined for a few more weeks, but he's doing great.He makes me LOL out loud.Funny guy. My husband says he's got my attitude.Like that's a bad thing?:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Munky.

Last edited:
If we're celebrating the beginning of the Revolutionary War, why aren't we celebrating in Worcester in September?

The True Start of the American Revolution

"On September 6, 1774, at dawn and through the morning, militia companies from 37 rural townships across Worcester County marched into the shiretown (county seat) of Worcester..." That's right - the party really started in Worcester about six months sooner. But I digress...

You are right. There were so many small battles fought over the course of the early 1770's that it is hard to pick a true starting date. The reason for the 17th of April, it is when the first shots were fired within a township and British as well as Americans were killed. There are graves of the British soldiers killed in Concord as you enter where the famous statue of the American fighter is. Concord was the real spark that set off the war for real. Not just a skirmish here and there.

...There were so many small battles fought over the course of the early 1770's that it is hard to pick a true starting date...
It looks like you didn't even glance at that article I linked, Addie. There were more than double the patriots that mustered in Worcester than eventually showed up in Lexington and Concord. The Worcester event was organized "... to close the courts, the outposts of British authority in this far reach of the Empire." They were successful in "the insurgents forced two dozen court officials to walk the gauntlet, hats in hand, reciting their recantations more than thirty times each so everyone could hear. The wording was strong: the officials would cede to the will of the people and promise never to execute “the unconstitutional act of the British parliament” (the Massachusetts Government Act) that would “reduce the inhabitants … to mere arbitrary power.” With this humiliating submission, all British authority vanished from Worcester County, never to return."

This type of uprising happened from Worcester county and all the way throughout the western shiretowns of MA. Even Salem and Plymouth were able to clean house. Drove all those British officials out for an eventual showdown in Concord - where, apparently, the militia didn't plan as well and had to muster in a hurry. It was then that blood was shed. So as you can see, the revolution began in Worcester, but the war started in Concord.

I guess Boston got its date picked for celebrating because it had a better press agent than Worcester...:rolleyes:

It looks like you didn't even glance at that article I linked, Addie. There were more than double the patriots that mustered in Worcester than eventually showed up in Lexington and Concord. The Worcester event was organized "... to close the courts, the outposts of British authority in this far reach of the Empire." They were successful in "the insurgents forced two dozen court officials to walk the gauntlet, hats in hand, reciting their recantations more than thirty times each so everyone could hear. The wording was strong: the officials would cede to the will of the people and promise never to execute “the unconstitutional act of the British parliament” (the Massachusetts Government Act) that would “reduce the inhabitants … to mere arbitrary power.” With this humiliating submission, all British authority vanished from Worcester County, never to return."

This type of uprising happened from Worcester county and all the way throughout the western shiretowns of MA. Even Salem and Plymouth were able to clean house. Drove all those British officials out for an eventual showdown in Concord - where, apparently, the militia didn't plan as well and had to muster in a hurry. It was then that blood was shed. So as you can see, the revolution began in Worcester, but the war started in Concord.

I guess Boston got its date picked for celebrating because it had a better press agent than Worcester...:rolleyes:
\\

You are right and I apologize. So I did go back and read the whole article. I guess I grew up never hearing about Worcester County. I do remember in the seventh grade, we put our history books away and were given a little thick booklet about the Revolution and in that booklet, it stated that it all started at the Boston Massacre. I have walked across the little plaque in the middle of the road coming out of State Street subway. BTW, the very first black citizen to die from that skirmish was Crispis Atticus. And he happened to be a Free Man. He lingered for a few days and then passed. John Adams was the lawyer for the King's men when they went on trial. He must have done a good job because if my memory serves me, it couldn't be determined who fired the first shot.

If you really want to hear some screwed up history, go to Philadelphia. According to them, they started the whole mess. And then try to attack B. Franklin. You would of thought he had been tarred and feathered.

The only reason he lived in Philly is because he was a runaway indentured servant to his brother for learning the printing business. Dear Brother was extremely cruel. So Benny ran away to Philly. Had he returned to Boston, he would have been arrested. He couldn't even return for his parents funerals. BTW, Mr. and Mrs. Franklin have a HUGE headstone shaped like the Washington Monument. It can be viewed in the middle of downtown Boston on Tremont Street next to the Park St. church.

Last edited:
Today Im just farting around the house. Ias going to clean the chicken coop but its cold out and I just don't feel like it.

Decided to make some chicken stock. I have a few old birds that got freezer burn. while that is simmering im making some goat treats. I have a bag of flour that is 3 years old and a bag of brown sugar that is hard as a rock. I am experimenting.

Chunk of brown sugar
some water to dissolve it
few cups of flour and make a dough
spread it out on oiled cookie sheet

Bake it for a while at 350
First batch in the oven. Its really sweet. They should like it.

Bummer, the CBS Sunday Morning Show was replaced here with the Masters Golf Tournament. :mad: We enjoyed SC's Sunday morning loaded Bagels & Lox anyway.:yum:
Yes, we realized that after I posted this too. Alternative choice today is Netflix.

Today Im just farting around the house. Ias going to clean the chicken coop but its cold out and I just don't feel like it.

Decided to make some chicken stock. I have a few old birds that got freezer burn. while that is simmering im making some goat treats. I have a bag of flour that is 3 years old and a bag of brown sugar that is hard as a rock. I am experimenting.

Chunk of brown sugar
some water to dissolve it
few cups of flour and make a dough
spread it out on oiled cookie sheet

Bake it for a while at 350
First batch in the oven. Its really sweet. They should like it.

To soften brown sugar, light or dark, place a fresh piece of bread in with the brown sugar. In about 20-30 minutes, you will think it was just made and soft. For some strange reason this little trick works. I don't understand the chemistry about it, but then I don't need to. My mother taught me about this along with a bunch of other stuff.

LOL Addie, there is a limit to how hard brown sugar can get that will be softened by bread/apple slice, etc. Believe me - been there - done that! :LOL::LOL:

To soften brown sugar, light or dark, place a fresh piece of bread in with the brown sugar. In about 20-30 minutes, you will think it was just made and soft. For some strange reason this little trick works. I don't understand the chemistry about it, but then I don't need to. My mother taught me about this along with a bunch of other stuff.
I have never had that trick fail me. No matter how old my brown sugar was.
Brown sugar gets hard when it dries out. Adding a piece of bread or a slice of apple, etc., provides moisture which the sugar then absorbs. Voîlà, soft sugar.

However, if there's a large amount of sugar, there may not be enough moisture in one slice of bread to soften it all. It's not related to the age of the sugar.

This stuff is really hard. I had to stab it with a screwdriver to bust off a chunk!

You are a farmer. You work with your hands, and with tools. You know the rule...

When all else fails, get out your biggest hammer.

That, and a ridiculously large screwdriver with a lifetime warranty is all a man ever needs to solve life's toughest challenges. :LOL:

CD

Back
Top Bottom