What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had brown sugar that was so hard that I had to grate it, but that worked fine in whatever recipe it was I was making. I find that the softening with something moist tricks can take a lot longer than 1/2 an hour. It depends on how dry and how big the chunk of brown sugar is. I often use a cabbage or lettuce leaf. I have never used a slice of apple, I use apple peel.

I have had brown sugar that was so hard that I had to grate it, but that worked fine in whatever recipe it was I was making. I find that the softening with something moist tricks can take a lot longer than 1/2 an hour. It depends on how dry and how big the chunk of brown sugar is. I often use a cabbage or lettuce leaf. I have never used a slice of apple, I use apple peel.

Exactly! I've grated it before as well, but putting a slice of bread in with hardened brown sugar takes much longer than half an hour. More like a day.

I bought this cute little clay "sugar bear" decades ago for about $3. If I haven't used my brown sugar for awhile, I just moisten the bear and put it in the tub of brown sugar. That way it keeps it soft; I am rarely surprised by hard sugar. If I'm not being as efficient, I have to wait a day for the sugar to soften up. Needless to say, I try to keep an eye on it.
IMG_20190415_001450230.jpg

I don't get it. I can't be the only one who buys brown sugar in a plastic bag! I haven't had a brick of brown sugar in a box for 20 yrs!

Mine goes hard in the plastic bag. I don't think I have seen it sold any other way in decades.

But, honestly, I don't buy brown sugar anymore. I don't use it often enough. If need some brown sugar, I just stir some molasses into some white sugar. Makes perfectly good brown sugar.

I don't get it. I can't be the only one who buys brown sugar in a plastic bag! I haven't had a brick of brown sugar in a box for 20 yrs!
I move it from the plastic bag to an airtight canister. It's been a long time since it hardened up - only once in the last several years. We have a rather humid environment, so it doesn't dry out easily and I keep the lid on when I'm not measuring it.

I store some of my pantry things in the basement. I've kept brown sugar and white sugar there many times with no problems... usually.

If the whole package hardens well, lots of luck. Too awkward, too messy, still feel horribly guilty but it hit the garbage.

Getting ready to prep a Prime rib roast for dinner tonight

It's our 30-31st? wedding anniversary today.:cool::yum:
Where did the time go?

Munky.

I just finished the prep for a French Toast casserole to take along for Easter brunch tomorrow. It's made with cinnamon swirl bread with pecan/butter/brown sugar topping, served with real maple syrup. I'll put it together tonight and bake in the morning before transporting.
Packing for our trip is in full swing and I'm stressed out as usual but this isn't my first rodeo. I've learned to pack lots of clothes already on hangers for a cruise.

It's 12.30pm Easter Sunday here, sitting in my dressing gown watching reruns of The Waltons lol, it's wet and miserable here but not too cold, got the fire going and going to cook a roast lamb for dinner tonight. We are having a very mild fall here, can't wait for winter. Might go down the local pub tomorrow for a drink, here in NZ the pubs and all the shops are closed all day Good Friday and all day Easter Sunday so not much else to do today

Back
Top Bottom