What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Munky, I hear yuh on the confusion! Sorry I don't have the name of the unit I purchased (gave it for my grandchildren last summer's heatwave) but my portable unit went both ways too.

You did not have to necessarily drain the water - but if you do fix it that way be prepared to empty the bucket often. I still don't understand where the water went if you did not hook up the drain hose.

But it MUST be air vented to an exterior exit for the hot air.

I liked it. It had several modes, timer, adjust temperature, etc. Easy to store and move around. Like a lot of appliances it must be a direct line to the plug, regular extension cords won't work with it. Make sure you get the correct size for the room.

I don't think there is a way to have a portable air conditioner that doesn't vent outdoors. It would have to somehow store the heat that it is taking out of the air. Sounds like something for a future technology.

No idea what your particular budget is but, I do know people who have used Mitsubishi Room Air Conditioners with great success.. They are not cheap..

Ross

Budget?....B.R.O.K.E.!:ohmy::LOL:

I'm using my Kitty money. This not so bright idea of mine (here we go again) was to help my husband be more comfortable.He could have and keep all the cold air to himself and off of me!

I'll keep looking.Installing a vent hole would mean cutting through a wall (Not a chance!)

Maybe Amazon has some nice floor fans.:ohmy:
I did see some that sit on your desk. You just add ice cubes to them. LOL!!!! Much cheaper.:huh:

Munky.

I did most of the prep for an easy supper. I'm pooped out. Only two more minor things to do. Had to take a proper break, not just a two minute sit down.

Munky, I hear yuh on the confusion! Sorry I don't have the name of the unit I purchased (gave it for my grandchildren last summer's heatwave) but my portable unit went both ways too.

You did not have to necessarily drain the water - but if you do fix it that way be prepared to empty the bucket often. I still don't understand where the water went if you did not hook up the drain hose.

But it MUST be air vented to an exterior exit for the hot air.

I liked it. It had several modes, timer, adjust temperature, etc. Easy to store and move around. Like a lot of appliances it must be a direct line to the plug, regular extension cords won't work with it. Make sure you get the correct size for the room.

Shake them down for the info.
No....Don't do that. You might scare them.:(:LOL:

Munky.

Looking for portable a/c units for the master bedroom.

I'm a little confused about the venting. Some units say no venting required yet they show the venting tube attached to the window???

We have a sliding glass window.

Another thing people say is some units leak.

I'm looking at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/MIDEA-MPF08C...s+portable,electronics,207&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

Can a hose be clamped to a bucket for drainage?

Confused as usual..:ROFLMAO:

Munky.
I read a Q&A on the Amazon page. The manufacturer says that unit can work vented, where the warm air goes out one side of the unit (outdoors if it's in a window) or not vented, like in a kitchen with no window. The people in the room would feel the cool air, but the temperature of the room would not go down. And this particular one says it recycles the condensate (not sure I understand how). The manufacturer seems pretty responsive if you want to ask them questions.

Budget?....B.R.O.K.E.!:ohmy::LOL:

I'm using my Kitty money. This not so bright idea of mine (here we go again) was to help my husband be more comfortable.He could have and keep all the cold air to himself and off of me!

I'll keep looking.Installing a vent hole would mean cutting through a wall (Not a chance!)

Maybe Amazon has some nice floor fans.:ohmy:
I did see some that sit on your desk. You just add ice cubes to them. LOL!!!! Much cheaper.:huh:

Munky.

Munky, Over the years I have had the standard box AC and the ones for sliding glass windows. I found that by nailing a small support piece of board on the outside windowsill, and installing the AC at a very slight tilt toward the outside, any water that is meant to be drained will end up outside the home and away from the foundation. (That's important.) I also painted the piece of wood to match the color of the outside wall. And I also placed the very edge of the AC (about a 1/2 inch) on the wood for support.

I have also used the room AC. NEVER AGAIN! I forgot about it, left it running, and when I came home late that night, I had a very watery mess to clean up.

Just some food for thought for you. Good luck. Hope you find a solution that works for the both of you. And give hubby a big hug!

Munky, Over the years I have had the standard box AC and the ones for sliding glass windows. I found that by nailing a small support piece of board on the outside windowsill, and installing the AC at a very slight tilt toward the outside, any water that is meant to be drained will end up outside the home and away from the foundation. (That's important.) I also painted the piece of wood to match the color of the outside wall. And I also placed the very edge of the AC (about a 1/2 inch) on the wood for support.

I have also used the room AC. NEVER AGAIN! I forgot about it, left it running, and when I came home late that night, I had a very watery mess to clean up.

Just some food for thought for you. Good luck. Hope you find a solution that works for the both of you. And give hubby a big hug!

Still on the hunt. I'm no quitter.
Just reread my original post. Shame on me. Our bedroom has a sliding glass door.No window.

The master bath has the sliding window. The portable a/c's will not work for that.Cord length is too short and it poses a hazard of electrocution the outlet is just above the sink or my husband losing his balance tripping on the cord.

I gave away our window unit last summer. The only thing that unit did make a lot of noise and run up the electric bill.And we were supposed to be moving at the time.:(

Been doing a lot of reading up on the specifics of different units.
Maybe not this particular unit. If I bought an additional vent kit and used a 6" dryer vent hose this might work. Modified Munky's way.:D:ROFLMAO:
I don't know:huh::rolleyes:

I sure hope you didn't try and lift your window a/c by yourself. Those things are heavy.

Munky.

Still on the hunt. I'm no quitter.
Just reread my original post. Shame on me. Our bedroom has a sliding glass door.No window.

I sure hope you didn't try and lift your window a/c by yourself. Those things are heavy.

Munky.

Nope. That is why I have three hulking sons and one SIL to do my bidding. Good luck in your quest for a solution.

Started the day prepping poppers for the grill tonigt and just got done planting some fruit trees. A peach and a nectarine. A bit late, but we had frost just two nights ago... and if we ever got things in the ground on time around here, the neighbors would think we moved out and some other folks moved in.

Now me and the dogs are chillin' under the ceiling fan. Not a bad way to spend the afternoon.

How is Hubby Doing?

I have often thought of the two of you this past year. Always wondered how much progress he had made. At least I know he can converse with you.

We have several residents in this building that have had some serious strokes. Dom, who used to be our main maintenance man still tries to do little things around the building. It is very hard to understand him when he talks though. I have to not look at him when he is talking, as I can't understand what he is saying. Whereas, if I don't look at his face and concentrate on listening to him, it is so much easier.

The warm weather is around the corner and he will be outside keeping the grounds clean and in the fall he does a fantastic job with leaf raking. When I first moved in here, he was a robust healthy man in his late 60's. That was 12 years ago. One day when he was sitting by himself in the community room, I went in and sat down next to him just to talk. I will never forget the one sentence he said to me. "All I want is to feel useful." How well I know that feeling. My heart goes out to him.

I never realized just how mean some folks in this building can be. One said to me that he is just faking so he can collect a paycheck. Wanted to know why I even bother to talk to him at all. My reply, can't be repeated here.

If anyone thinks having a stroke patient as a family member difficult, imagine what it is like for the stroke patient.

Last edited:
I have often thought of the two of you this past year. Always wondered how much progress he had made. At least I know he can converse with you.

We have several residents in this building that have had some serious strokes. Dom, who used to be our main maintenance man still tries to do little things around the building. It is very hard to understand him when he talks though. I have to not look at him when he is talking, as I can't understand what he is saying. Whereas, if I don't look at his face and concentrate on listening to him, it is so much easier.

The warm weather is around the corner and he will be outside keeping the grounds clean and in the fall he does a fantastic job with leaf raking. When I first moved in here, he was a robust healthy man in his late 60's. That was 12 years ago. One day when he was sitting by himself in the community room, I went in and sat down next to him just to talk. I will never forget the one sentence he said to me. "All I want is to feel useful." How well I know that feeling. My heart goes out to him.

I never realized just how mean some folks in this building can be. One said to me that he is just faking so he can collect a paycheck. Wanted to know why I even bother to talk to him at all. My reply, can't be repeated here.

If anyone thinks having a stroke patient as a family member difficult, imagine what it is like for the stroke patient.

Addie,
I'm assuming that question is directed towards me. Correct?

Every stroke patient is different. No two days are the same.
We take things one day at a time.If he can't talk to me without pain I understand it.That's why I made myself the Mom Cave.It keeps my sanity.

If that means stepping up out of my comfort zone to help and protect him from the mocking cruel people I will. Have actually dismissed supposed loving family members. They will never while I'm still alive be informed of anything concerning him. Period!

He's doing what he can do when he can. If not he has all of us backing him up. Especially me.

Munky

Addie,
I'm assuming that question is directed towards me. Correct?

Every stroke patient is different. No two days are the same.
We take things one day at a time.If he can't talk to me without pain I understand it.That's why I made myself the Mom Cave.It keeps my sanity.

If that means stepping up out of my comfort zone to help and protect him from the mocking cruel people I will. Have actually dismissed supposed loving family members. They will never while I'm still alive be informed of anything concerning him. Period!

He's doing what he can do when he can. If not he has all of us backing him up. Especially me.

Munky

You now sound like Pirate. He is my legal primary caregiver. And as the patient, I can loudly assure you, even if he can't always voice what he wants to say, he is very grateful. I know I am. He went to battle for me today.

Lewis Mall made two appointments for me in the same day. I simply cannot not do it. I do not have the physical or emotional strength. I have had no, much needed extended rest since I got home from the hospital. (We all know how much rest a person gets in a hospital.) So when my driver knocked on the door, he told the driver I had a huge migraine headache and was sound asleep. Sure enough the driver called Lewis Mall (LM my clinic) and in a matter of less than three minutes, my phone rang. Pirate answered it and told them very calmly that they would have to reschedule my appointments. Said Thank you for calling, and hung up on them.

Since I didn't keep the morning appointment, they without my permission or knowledge rescheduled me for this afternoon.

I was thinking of the both of you last night around about three in the a.m. Sent a prayer on its way for the both of you. I am so happy to hear that he hasn't quit trying.

My daughter is a very negative person. So unless she tells me that it is very important to see me to give me something she thinks I need, I do not encourage her visits.

Nowhere near close enough, Addie. :ermm: And NO, I have not grown to love MA. In fact, I miss OH more and more each day. It's just taking us way longer to work on the house than we thought. Time to part with money and get it fixed the way we would do ourselves if Himself's back wasn't hurting and my lower joints didn't hurt so much. Still, I think it hurts even more to part with the money. :LOL:

Our daughter just moved home tonight. She's done with her sophomore year at the University of Minnesota. 3 1/2 hours N. Of home. New adjustments for all. It's nice having her home.

Aw, I bet it is nice, simonbaker. :heart: Enjoy the time together.

I'm melting. Or, rather, cooling off after melting. I'm great at procrastinating. You might say I'm a pro at it. Anyway, I've had this pile of financial papers that I've wanted to burn off in the fireplace for...:whistling: - let's say a long time. Well, the weather is getting nice and the last good chance I had for doing this was a day or two ago. Before the weather gets any warmer, I kindled up the fireplace and got busy. Two hours later, my right index finger needs just a wee bit of BBQ sauce to turn it into an acceptable baby riblet. :ermm: :ohmy: Thinking of putting the A/C on...

Back
Top Bottom