What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a nice evening, so I decided to do a little sitting and reading on the front porch. I was rewarded with a visit from a tiny friend. If you look closely, you can see little blurs for wings!
IMG_20190811_195615158.jpgIMG_20190811_200501008.jpg

I went to make myself a snack. DH forgot to tell me that he had finished off the ham. Not really a problem, but I have to finish adding stuff to my grocery order by midnight (it's a bit past 2200 here now). So, I made a quick addition to the grocery order. D'oh! there was no panic. I have to finish the order by midnight tomorrow for delivery on Tuesday. Well, better to rush now than miss it. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

I attended a Hemp farming forum yesterday. It was very informative. My guess is it will be 10 years or so before I give it a try. There is no place to process it yet. Processing plants are currently in the works.

Hemp for CBD oil will never be grown in the Midwest. Unless it's done indoors. It's a lot of work and they say the market will be saturated in 2 to 3 years. So while there is a small fortune to be made now it's going to end pretty quick.

When and if I ever try it I would grow it for the fiber and possibly the seed. I can plant it with the drill I already have. Then just windrow it and bale it.

There is another way to cash in on the Hemp and legal Mary Jane. Worm castings. It turns out that pot and CBD grow very cell in worm castings.

Farmer Jon--processing flax for linen was a problem when flax was grown primarily for fiber. It was cut and sent to Belgium to be prepped for spinning. Processing quinoa here is also a problem (or it was when a friend grew it a few years ago). If memory serves from when I was heavily involved in the fiber world, the same equipment used to process flax into linen can be used for hemp. By hand, it is a time-consuming process. I have spun hemp-cotton, hemp-linen combinations. The hemp-cotton involved spinning the hemp, then the cotton, and plying the two together. It was tricky getting the twist right.

Last edited:
I attended a Hemp farming forum yesterday. It was very informative. My guess is it will be 10 years or so before I give it a try. There is no place to process it yet. Processing plants are currently in the works.

Hemp for CBD oil will never be grown in the Midwest. Unless it's done indoors. It's a lot of work and they say the market will be saturated in 2 to 3 years. So while there is a small fortune to be made now it's going to end pretty quick.

When and if I ever try it I would grow it for the fiber and possibly the seed. I can plant it with the drill I already have. Then just windrow it and bale it.

There is another way to cash in on the Hemp and legal Mary Jane. Worm castings. It turns out that pot and CBD grow very cell in worm castings.
Hemp is starting to be grown everywhere here.

Our largest hay growers have stopped growing hay and are growing hemp instead. This means we will have a bad hay shortage around November. Not sure what we will do for our horses. We dont have a barn to store a large amount.

Anyway, it will be just like when they legalized pot here. The first in made a fortune, now the industry is pretty much saturated.

With pot stores on every corner, our town of under 10,000 has at least three I know of. They still can't sell as much as they were growing. Lots of folks lost a ton of money.

Hemp will be the same, but nationally. The big corporations will take over and the little guy will be out.

The only hemp I plant is a couple of plants for my own use ;)

I'm relaxing after finishing what I thought I would have gotten done yesterday when I cleaned out the chicken house and replaced the shavings with fresh. Today I backed up to the chicken house again, picked up the piles of horse poo Charlotte left for the chickens to scatter into the dirt. Then I backed up to the compost pile which is no longer a pile because the hens have scratch and pecked so much that it was more like a slightly raised area. I loaded it into the truck as well.

My old truck took me to the two little gardens I want to get started next spring. The subsoil is clay gravel so it needs an awful lot of organic matter to make it planted. I was able to give my 2 4x8 raised beds an excellent covering of organic matter.

I smell like a barn yard, but I'll get into the tub soon.

Hey everyone long time no chat.
Making the time to do so now.It's been busy around here.

Enjoying having a puppy running around the house again.Butter's has been a blast.He's what's been keeping me busy.He has grown to have quite the Sweet and saucy little attitude.My job is done!:LOL::ROFLMAO::ohmy::ohmy:

I did find an a/c unit for hubby's room.Didn't cost me a dime.Our adopted son had one sitting in his garage doing nothing, so he brought it over and set it up for us.14,000 btu's. Hubby's doing much better this summer than last.

I've been learning how to use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BTS2KWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far so good.Hubby liked it so much I got one for him.He wouldn't leave mine alone.Rewriting recipes from my note books has been much easier.Now I can update all the pics and adaptations.The kitchen drawer is getting de cluttered.Finally!

Tried to facetime with my sister that was a bust.It didn't work.But I can facetime anyone in the house?That's a kink to be worked on.

Other than that.Things are still one day at a time.:)

Munky.

Glad to hear that you are a farmer willing to adapt. You gotta' use your land wisely, and grow what the market wants -- and don't ignore Mother Nature.

I grew up on the Gulf coast, so I hope you also are mindful of the use of fertilizers. There are some pretty big "dead zones" on the Texas side of the Mississippi river delta. Big corporations don't care about that, but real farmers don't want to put a shrimp boat out of business to get a bigger yield. I get the impression that you are a real farmer, and you care about that kind of stuff.

CD

Chef Munky! :w00t2:

Good to see you here. I hope you have the time to come around more now. I'm glad things are going better with your hubby.

One of our grandsons is visiting from the Netherlands. What a wonderful time we had with him last night. They stayed for supper and we had plenty of time to catch up on his life. He was in Paris for a few years but he says he loves the Netherlands better. But he says he sure misses the wonderful breads and croissants a lot. He has his own Coffee Shop and is doing very well. He has lots of great reviews in magazines and newspapers over there.

One of our grandsons is visiting from the Netherlands. What a wonderful time we had with him last night. They stayed for supper and we had plenty of time to catch up on his life. He was in Paris for a few years but he says he loves the Netherlands better. But he says he sure misses the wonderful breads and croissants a lot. He has his own Coffee Shop and is doing very well. He has lots of great reviews in magazines and newspapers over there.
Sounds fun. That's great that he is doing well with his café. How long is he on this side of the pond? Will you get to see him again before he goes home?

Chef Munky! :w00t2:

Good to see you here. I hope you have the time to come around more now. I'm glad things are going better with your hubby.

TAXY!!!! :D

Thank you:)

Things are going the way I've been saying concerning his recovery.One day at a time. That I pad has been wonderful for him.Much easier for him to use than his old Kindle.It was really slowing down. He can do much more now with that I pad.

I have a question for anyone who's reading this...?
How does one find a maid? I now need some help around the house.
Hate to admit that,but it's true. My body can no longer take on large jobs that require heavy lifting or reaching to clean things.

It would be a good thing.Then I could hang around here a little more often. I wouldn't be so tired. :LOL::ROFLMAO::ohmy:

Munky.

I have a question for anyone who's reading this...?
How does one find a maid? I now need some help around the house.
Hate to admit that,but it's true. My body can no longer take on large jobs that require heavy lifting or reaching to clean things.

It would be a good thing.Then I could hang around here a little more often. I wouldn't be so tired. [emoji38]:ROFLMAO::ohmy:

I'm glad to see you back, too, and also very happy that your dear husband is recovering well.

We had a housekeeper come to clean the house twice a month for a few years. I asked around to friends I knew who had hired people and one recommended her housekeeper; that worked great.

Now that I'm on disability, we can't afford that anymore, but occasionally I use a Groupon to have the house cleaned. I get two people to come and clean the house for two hours and I tell them which rooms are my priorities. It's a pretty good deal.

Hope this helps.

Munky, one year I had a cleaner come in once a week during income tax season. I found her through an agent who had posted and in a local newspaper. Since your hubby is recovering, is it possible that you are eligible for some help? There might be some local group that can help you with finding out about that.

My mother-in-law has cleaners come from some company, every other week. I think it's called "Molly Maids".

Sounds fun. That's great that he is doing well with his café. How long is he on this side of the pond? Will you get to see him again before he goes home?

He will just be here until Sunday. I hope to see him a few more times. I know he also has to see a lot of his friends here but we should all be getting together again for a meal before he goes back.

No, I don't have any plans to fly over there. Although I would love too. It is a 9 hour flight. From the Netherlands they fly to Minneapolis. then to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He will return the same route. At my age I don't think I would like that long flight.:)

Munky, one year I had a cleaner come in once a week during income tax season. I found her through an agent who had posted and in a local newspaper. Since your hubby is recovering, is it possible that you are eligible for some help? There might be some local group that can help you with finding out about that.

My mother-in-law has cleaners come from some company, every other week. I think it's called "Molly Maids".

Hiya Taxy,

Yes he does qualify for so many things and has used to placard card for the handicapped parking. He gave it up after so much frustration.
We gave up on the system.

Anything he needs that I personally know of to make his life as comfortable as possible I pay for it out of my pocket.

The pro's know stuff. Wives know more.;)

My youngest was just telling me he has a friend who's looking for a part time job to help her pay for her classes and books. He's going to ask her.
Why not help out a starving student willing to work. I'll go easy on her. Already made a to do list. It's not that bad. She just needs to be able to get along with dogs.

My oldest is looking to.Those 2 know a lot of people! We'll see how it goes.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom