What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the past month or so, I have been lamenting how crammed full our upright freezer is. So I have been consciously trying to use foods in the freezer so I could empty it out some.

I have been planning to make chicken stock but didn't think I had enough bones in the freezer. SO insisted I had a ton of bones.

Well, I decided today was the day so I scavenged both freezers for chicken bones. I filled my 20-quart stock pot to the brim!

As a result, the house has a wonderful aroma of simmering chicken stock and I have tons of room in the freezer!

As a side "benefit", SO got to say, "I told you so.".;)
Sounds like a productive day! [emoji16]

For the past month or so, I have been lamenting how crammed full our upright freezer is. **** stock pot to the brim!

As a result, the house has a wonderful aroma of simmering chicken stock and I have tons of room in the freezer!

As a side "benefit", SO got to say, "I told you so.".;)

Think I should post this in "The Last Thing That Made You Smile"

Got my Nephew to help pick apples. He's up there somewhere. Should have gotten to them a few days ago. A lot of them went bad already.

Attachments

• IMG_20190916_174659.jpg
    IMG_20190916_174659.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20190916_191846.jpg
    IMG_20190916_191846.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 116
Packing. The KN (a/k/a my Dad) has pushed me one too many times. I am hoping to hit the road by Wednesday and be HOME by Friday. I hate leaving my Mom, I could live with her forever, but I am tired of the verbal abuse and would not put up with it from anyone else. Consequently, I am going MIA.

Packing. The KN (a/k/a my Dad) has pushed me one too many times. I am hoping to hit the road by Wednesday and be HOME by Friday. I hate leaving my Mom, I could live with her forever, but I am tired of the verbal abuse and would not put up with it from anyone else. Consequently, I am going MIA.

(((Hugs))) I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Got my Nephew to help pick apples. He's up there somewhere.

That's awesome that you have a nephew and a LOADER to help pick the apples. Lucky you! I've always thought it would be a great idea to have a big chunk of land with excavators, bulldozers, dump trucks, loaders, etc as a playground for guys. You would pay $$ and get to play with the equipment for a few hours.

When I drove through OH on Rt 80 & 90, I'm amazed at how many farms are out there. Most of them are growing corn but some had other stuff. I couldn't really tell what they were growing if it wasn't corn. As a gardener, I always like to admire people growing food stuff.

There are a lot of soybean farms in OH, bbq. And strawberry fields. Those can go on forever. ;) Some wheat. Once you get out of the city areas, OH has quite a bit of agriculture. Dairy farms and cattle ranches. All sorts of good stuff.

Staring at my cookbooks, wondering where is that ruddy book I had with the perfect recipe. Need to organize those books this winter but have no idea how to even start.

Eggs have been pushed down to the end of the table.

Canner is sitting on the stove.
Move filled jars to basement.
dig out more jars.

Dehydrator is waiting.

Fruits and beets laying around. Hurry-up before they go bad! :ohmy:

Material to shape throws for the chairs staring at me. (I use painter's drop sheets - cheap, durable and washable)

Front door is back and installed but frame still needs more scraping and sanding and staining and varnishing and.... :wacko:

Two plants still haven't been dug in. Want to move one plant from one garden to another. Need to do another weeding. :neutral:

Almost time to bring in the house plants - might try to stretch it another week. Shame as the days will still be good for them. Just not up to running them in and out, most are too heavy to do that. :ermm:

I just finished trimming and filing my fingernails. Now most of you are probably thinking "so? Big deal". For me it is. I tend to put off tasks that effect just me in order to do "stuff" around the house. I really need to learn to do for me as well as for the good of the "house". And by "house", I do mean Himself, too. :LOL: That guy is so spoiled he could be a cat. :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

I spent the first half of the Seahawks/Browns game peeling and chopping 16 apples... almost six pounds...nearly filled my six quart slow cooker. Spent the rest of the day and evening cooking that down into apple butter. Got three+ pints of deliciousness. :yum: I have to label one of those jars "MINE!" so that Himself doesn't gobble it all up.
IMG_20191014_003313512.jpg

CG... I love apple butter but haven't made it in literally DECADES! So my "doh.." moment is - why didn't I think of using my slow cooker once I got it.
Am always looking for different things to make use of it.

Link to your recipe?

Recovering from a day with the grandkids...

We had a fantastic time. All a "homemade" day.

Started with - I forgot and collected the eggs before they came - then remembered and rushed to put them back. Comment: Gosh Grandma, they sure are cold!

Then I set them to etching a couple of empty chicken eggs. I had a battery run etcher for them, not my high speed dentist type drill. They found out how much you can press before crunching.

Brought out the pasta dough made the day before. They chose spaghettini setting (note to self: choose linguini setting for kids, they squish the pasta together in their hands as they bring it out).

A friend had given me some homemade sauce along with my homemade meatballs (from the soup recipe I posted elsewhere). Perfection!

Then on to the homemade Mango Ice Cream (flavour their choice from earlier in week) This was churning while we ate pasta. It was topped with some homemade Chocolate Sauce. Perfection again!

After I was trying to make some stilts with cans - just as I'm finishing one of them says,
"OH, I know what you're making. Stilts! We have them at school. I usually win the race with them." (me..:ohmy: :( )

We all had a good laugh at one-upping Grandma who thought she was showing them something fun and clever! :ROFLMAO:

CG... I love apple butter but haven't made it in literally DECADES!...Link to your recipe?

Recipe? There is no recipe. [emoji38] I peel the apples, chop them small, toss into slow cooker, and eyeball cinnamon and nutmeg. It's probably about a teaspoon of nutmeg and several tablespoons of cinnamon. Then I add a tablespoon or two of Bourbon - but you don't have to. Turn pot on high, stir and mash every once in a while (I use a potato masher) until it's smooth, and finish cooking with lid askew until it's as thick as you want. This time it probably cooked about five or six hours.

Recovering from a day with the grandkids...

We had a fantastic time. All a "homemade" day.

Started with - I forgot and collected the eggs before they came - then remembered and rushed to put them back. Comment: Gosh Grandma, they sure are cold!

Then I set them to etching a couple of empty chicken eggs. I had a battery run etcher for them, not my high speed dentist type drill. They found out how much you can press before crunching.

Brought out the pasta dough made the day before. They chose spaghettini setting (note to self: choose linguini setting for kids, they squish the pasta together in their hands as they bring it out).

A friend had given me some homemade sauce along with my homemade meatballs (from the soup recipe I posted elsewhere). Perfection!

Then on to the homemade Mango Ice Cream (flavour their choice from earlier in week) This was churning while we ate pasta. It was topped with some homemade Chocolate Sauce. Perfection again!

After I was trying to make some stilts with cans - just as I'm finishing one of them says,
"OH, I know what you're making. Stilts! We have them at school. I usually win the race with them." (me..:ohmy: :( )

We all had a good laugh at one-upping Grandma who thought she was showing them something fun and clever! :ROFLMAO:

You sound like a terrific grandma Dragn. The bold part sure made me smile, remembering the fun of collecting eggs from my grandma's chickens. :chicken:

I just finished placing an online grocery order, so I am relaxing with an adult beverage. They really don't make it easy. I also wish they listed ingredients and country of origin of the various items.

I just finished placing an online grocery order, so I am relaxing with an adult beverage. They really don't make it easy. I also wish they listed ingredients and country of origin of the various items.

Never tried online grocery ordering. I prefer to go grocery shopping at the actual store. But I'd be curious to know about your experience with that.

I too an relaxing with an adult beverage and watching one of my favorite shows, Kitchen Nightmares. As well as keeping up with the Michigan/Notre Dame score.

Never tried online grocery ordering. I prefer to go grocery shopping at the actual store. But I'd be curious to know about your experience with that.

I too an relaxing with an adult beverage and watching one of my favorite shows, Kitchen Nightmares. As well as keeping up with the Michigan/Notre Dame score.

I buy brands I know. If they would put the ingredients, I would get some other stuff. I get almost all my groceries online and get them delivered. I started doing it when I was bedridden with a bad back. I use IGA, a "regular" supermarket and something called "Lufa Farms". They get stuff from (mostly) local suppliers, as well as growing a lot of stuff in greenhouses on the roofs of urban buildings. They are really good about listing ingredients and telling you where the item comes from, as well as a short write up of the producer. I can get Canadian caught seafood. If I buy from a regular store, I often have no idea where the seafood comes from. Lufa delivers too, and they use electric cars for the deliveries. I pay online with a credit card for both IGA and Lufa. The extra cost of delivery seems worth it to me. I do have to be home for a two or five hour "window" when I'm expecting a delivery.

So, though there can be some annoyance, I will probably keep ordering most of my food online. We do get a few things from the local deli and the local health food store. In my case, it's particularly nice to have it delivered. I have underground parking and have to schlep anything I buy a ways and then up the stairs. If I were to park on the street to avoid the stairs, I would have to schlep it even further from the sidewalk.

Back
Top Bottom