"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #15701
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you really want to challenge yourself, pick a recipe that doesn't involve the grill.
You expect him to go cold turkey?

Old 12-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #15702
Executive Chef

I've had several intense days of decision making and organizng things. Lots of tile laying decisions; pattern, where to put the accent tile, how to handle tile not coming out even around the fireplace, shape and size of bathroom tile baseboard. On Monday I ordered, and paid for, the kitchen counter top. Yesterday I picked out a different marble bath counter top than what I had planned all along. I am entering a period where things are happening quickly. There may be a delay in finishing the house because the kitchen counter top has a 30 day lead time we were not expecting.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #15703
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh dear! You know in construction, if they tell you six weeks, expect it to be six months. I am so sorry to hear this. It has to be so frustrating. Hang in there. You will get in there before you know it.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #15704
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
....He still pats me on my head when he walks past me in the house. He has done that for as long as I could remember. Sometimes I walk past him on purpose for that little pat. I'll do that to my children someday....
My Mom used to do that to Himself! Mind you, it was only if he was sitting down, since Himself is 6' 2" and my Mom was only 5'...on her good days. Because he's always been balding, when she patted him she would say "my, you get more virile every time I see you!". Apparently, high testosterone is reputedly guilty for hair loss. Reputedly.

Hold on to the memories these events create. They'll be so nice to think back on when Papa and Mamma are back home. Maybe you could pat DA on her head as you pass by?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #15705
Master Chef

I swear, miss a day miss a lot around here!

PF, that tapestry is lovely! And of course Shrek has "good taste". Look who he married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We needed milk and coffee cream. It's so cold that neither of us was willing to walk one block to the convenience store. We finally decided to drive. It was 0.3 km there. And since we live on a one way street, the trip home was longer. Total distance: 1.3 km.
OK, I understand cold. But did the CAR even warm up while you were out? I would think all it provided was shelter from the wind. And when you got back home so quickly I bet it was disappointed it didn't get to go for a nice "ride".
Old 12-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #15706
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
... I am entering a period where things are happening quickly.....
Comes at you real quick, doesn't it Beth? I'm guessing the contractor didn't have an agent working with him when you were signing the contract? We've built 3 houses and each time we made our selections either right away or soon after we broke ground. Does that "30 day" wait for the counter push your occupancy date back much? Hope not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh dear! You know in construction, if they tell you six weeks, expect it to be six months....
Not always Addie. Like I said, we've had three stick-built houses from the hole on up. The first house was one week later than expected in a 6-month window. No biggie since we were scheduled to move mid-month from an apartment but figured on paying rent for the full month. The second was a week late, and that's because the real estate agent representing the builder mixed up our counter choice colors with the room they went in. We could have been in on time if the builder had his way, but I refused to let his Dad (one of his finish carpenters) drop in the correct kitchen counter on Easter Sunday! This last house was the worst. About three weeks late AND completely interfered with our departure when we were taking our son back to college in AZ from OH where he was staying that summer. I still think the builder did in on purpose...
Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #15707
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
OK, I understand cold. But did the CAR even warm up while you were out? I would think all it provided was shelter from the wind. And when you got back home so quickly I bet it was disappointed it didn't get to go for a nice "ride".

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #15708
Certified Cake Maniac

Finally got my pain medicine over 24 hours after calling the doctor. I know my pharmacist very well and he gave me a cup of water and opened the bottle for me. My side is still very sore so it may be more than just my usual kidney stones that passed easily. thankfully my chronic pain is really under control today.

Despite the pain I got a bunch of baking ingredients to get started. I have a young woman I am mentoring and she is coming over the bake with me. She is going through some tough times and I feel blessed she trusts me.

I also did my final Christmas shopping...at the vet's office. Violet needs special treats and they have the little toys Monkey loves and I can't find anywhere else. I splurged on them but they are the only "kids" I have!

Now I am watching Cat Cora on Queen Latifah - two women I admire.

Well, must go, my robot vacuum is calling me.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #15709
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Sigrid may have been disappointed, but she was the one out in the cold.

I didn't think to check the engine temp gauge. We were dressed for cold. Our parking space is in an underground garage. It's heated, a bit, so the car wasn't all that cold when we got in it. Think +2C as opposed to the -18C outdoors. And, it has seat heaters. So, we didn't notice the cold in the car. Of course we were dressed for cold: long underwear, boots, winter coats, gloves, covered heads.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #15710
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sigrid may have been disappointed, but she was the one out in the cold.

I didn't think to check the engine temp gauge. We were dressed for cold. Our parking space is in an underground garage. It's heated, a bit, so the car wasn't all that cold when we got in it. Think +2C as opposed to the -18C outdoors. And, it has seat heaters. So, we didn't notice the cold in the car. Of course we were dressed for cold: long underwear, boots, winter coats, gloves, covered heads.
It is about 2C here, but that is outside and we have no snow. Just some wind. Such a difference between both sides of our country!

I will try to send you some warm air!

« Petty Vents | - »