"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #15721
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
No worries, Taxy. No blame intended. Our snow will be gone in 24 hours anyway.

TB is suffering from the flu. He has called in for tomorrow and has gone to bed. I am staying in my chair to a) not bet the flu and b) be more comfortable with my pain. The furkids have divided their loyalty. Violet is curled up on the bed with her "Daddy" and Monkey is on my lap.
Have you had your flu shot?

How sweet, they are each taking care of one parent.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #15722
Certified Cake Maniac

No, I have not and am not getting a flu shot. My immune system is really low and in years when I have gotten the shot, I have gotten the flu very bad right after. Last year I didn't get the shot (TB did) and I never even had a cold. I have already had a couple of bouts of the flu and a cold, but am not going to risk having the shot again. I know I'm probably wrong.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #15723
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
No, I have not and am not getting a flu shot. My immune system is really low and in years when I have gotten the shot, I have gotten the flu very bad right after. Last year I didn't get the shot (TB did) and I never even had a cold. I have already had a couple of bouts of the flu and a cold, but am not going to risk having the shot again. I know I'm probably wrong.
Not everyone should get the flu shot. Sounds like you are one of those people. That's why it's a good idea for the rest of us to get it. It improves herd immunity and puts those folks who shouldn't get the shot less at risk.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #15724
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Aw heck, I'm forever pouring orange juice into my coffee...
It is comforting to know I am not alone.

I did manage to get a lot done today. I got all the dry ingredients together in a zippy and Friday I will make the cake. I just have to add the liquids. Eggs, milk, oil and hot water along with the vanilla. Saturday I will decorate it and take pictures. I got the royal icing for the holly berries and the holly leaves done and even got some of the holly leaves made. I will finish them tomorrow. And tomorrow I have to make the chocolate syrup to pour into the holes in order to make it a poke cake. I also have to make a chocolate chip cheese cake. I have the Oreo cookies all processed into crumbs with the melted butter. It has to sit for 24 hours before I can release the ring on the spring form pan. That makes up in a matter of minutes. Easy to do. It has been years since I have baked this much.

Gee, I just looked at the time. It is almost 3 a.m. Thursday morning and I am wide awake. The Pirate showed up yesterday and is sleeping over. I think he showed up for the food. He has been eating the whole night while watching TV. That's okay. It makes more room in the fridge for the cake and cheesecake. Gee, I just realized after doing all that in one day and I have no pain.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #15725
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That happened to The Pirate also. He got the shot, came home and within an hour he was so sick with such a high fever, I wanted to call an ambulance. I have never had the flu. I am the one who takes care of those that do get it. So I figure why put some thing in my body for some thing I never have had. My doctor thinks I may have a natural immunity to viruses. Never a flu shot for me!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #15726
Senior Cook

I've got my "Rocky" sweats on...running down the street, punching the air, singing the "Rocky" song...getting warmed up to MAKE 16 DOZEN COOKIES! (for Christmas gift packs for neighbors and friends)
Old 12-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #15727
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Time for work!!! Still trying to get as much done as possible before my enforced month off work...any bets on exactly how long I will stay away from work??? I'm set for a month off.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #15728
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm looking at the sun. I haven't seen it for a month. It looks different... probably because I don't remember it.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #15729
Chef Extraordinaire

I just finished lunch. I had the most incredible soup that I pulled out of the freezer a couple days ago and stuck in the refrigerator to thaw. I wish I knew what it was. I'd make it again.
Before that I went out back and shot a couple of my rifles. They both needed their scopes sighted in. Lazy day. Better start "planning" supper.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #15730
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I just finished lunch. I had the most incredible soup that I pulled out of the freezer a couple days ago and stuck in the refrigerator to thaw. I wish I knew what it was. I'd make it again.
Before that I went out back and shot a couple of my rifles. They both needed their scopes sighted in. Lazy day. Better start "planning" supper.
I keep a pen, a pad of stickies and tape in a kitchen drawer so I can label stuff for the freezer with the contents and date. I got tired of being surprised when I thawed something and it wasn't what I thought it was