"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #15981
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thank you Cat. I hope he feels better soon too. We don't really celebrate Xmas. We celebrate the Winter Solstice, so that's already over.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #15982
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm about to go get some more groceries. There's stuff I didn't buy yesterday because we weren't going to be home.

Stirling is feeling worse. He threw up. He took a hot shower, because that usually makes it easier for him to breath. Last night it had the opposite effect. He could hardly breath and had to get out of the shower. I heard him wheezing for breath and ran up the stairs. He was starting to breath better, so I didn't panic. He slowly started breathing as normally as he is doing with this illness. His temperature was ~38.35 C (101 F). I'm relieved he started breathing better without any help. I don't know what I could have done for him. I'll be calling the public health nurse later. Here, that's an 811 call.

We ran out of honey yesterday, so that's on the shopping list along with lemons, applesauce, yogourt, and maybe some chicken soup.
Taxy, here 811 is "Nurse on call", though they now have all sorts of medical professionals to help you. I have called on a couple of occasions and they have been most helpful. Public Health Care Nurses are through our health district and are difficult to get a visit from them or even talk to them. With Dad I had to fight tooth and nail to get a nurse here to change his catheter. They wanted me to take him to their office which was just too much for him getting in and out of the wheelchair, car, on and off the uncomfortable stretcher, etc. So after two times the nurse finally put in for home visits.

I have had to cancel Christmas dinner here with TB's parents. In the past I would just soldier through it and pay ten-fold when it was all over. I am tired, in pain and really just want to rest. I feel bad because I love Christmas and making Christmas dinner, but I think I have made the right decision.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #15983
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Taxy, here 811 is "Nurse on call", though they now have all sorts of medical professionals to help you. I have called on a couple of occasions and they have been most helpful. Public Health Care Nurses are through our health district and are difficult to get a visit from them or even talk to them. With Dad I had to fight tooth and nail to get a nurse here to change his catheter. They wanted me to take him to their office which was just too much for him getting in and out of the wheelchair, car, on and off the uncomfortable stretcher, etc. So after two times the nurse finally put in for home visits.

I have had to cancel Christmas dinner here with TB's parents. In the past I would just soldier through it and pay ten-fold when it was all over. I am tired, in pain and really just want to rest. I feel bad because I love Christmas and making Christmas dinner, but I think I have made the right decision.
I'm sorry to read that you have to cancel Xmas dinner, but I also think that is the right decision.

Yeah, I don't really think she is what you call a public health nurse. We have had this service for donkey's years. It's called "Info Santé". There used to be local numbers for Info Santé, but it's been 811 since 2008.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #15984
Executive Chef

I'm eating popcorn out of one of those tins. It's your fault, Pac. After you mentioned it I saw one in the store and it hopped into my cart! The tin has a beautiful winter scene on it.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #15985
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Going to eat some fudge and no one can stop me.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #15986
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
'Tis the season!
Old 12-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #15987
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think the store used a bit of almond oil to oil the fudge pan...YUM! Just a touch of almond flavor as an aftertaste.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #15988
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I was supposed to get a Fedex overnight package today before noon. They are running late, but cannot tell me how late. This is going to throw my whole afternoon off if I have to wait much longer.
So in the meantime I am eating pumpkin bread. I an washing it down with Pepsi. I'd be washing it down with milk, but I am out and can't go to the store...
UPS today announced that they are completely overwhelmed with packages. Way more than their system can handle in time for packages to reach their destination. Even if you were told your package would arrive on time. They certainly were not expecting this much business this year. I know that last Wednesday my girlfriend paid extra for overnight delivery for a package she sent me. It arrived Monday. Good luck Pac in your waiting.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #15989
Proud American

OHOHOH! I'm so very excitied! I found this book, from Barnes and Noble:

The principal speeches and addresses of His Royal Highness the Prince Consort [NOOK Book]

by Prince Consort of Victoria Albert

Digitized from the 1862 edition

And it's free! I'm downloading it to my Nook now. Oh how wonderful to have a piece of history such as this! You can see it here:

The principal speeches and addresses of His Royal Highness the Prince Consort by Prince Consort of Victoria Albert | 2940023259130 | NOOK Book (eBook) | Barnes & Noble

With love,
~Cat
Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #15990
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh dear. Now I have gone and Googled "microwave fudge without condensed milk" and I found recipes. Uh oh!