What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey all!
Its been crazy here. Two sick dogs, I banged my knee up pretty bad tripping over a dog ramp, then last week out of the blue budget cuts and RIF at work...
Wow, you sure can't catch a break in any part of your life! Hope the dogs and your knee are feeling better. Darned shame about the job. I hope you can find a job quickly, but it's probably a real challenge in These Times. Take care of yourself, OK?

Like taxy - I was trying to figure out RIF - up here it stands for Retirement Income Fund. LOL

Reduction in Force makes more sense - guess it actually means pretty much the same thing!

Thank you all for the thoughts, well wishes, and kind words. :flowers: :heart::heart::heart:

So...

Doggies are doing better. Both are 14 and one has cancer so we are making the most of the time we have with them and the other two. They both now require extra time and attention but because I am working from home it is not been too bad.

About the Reduction in Force (Sorry for the earlier acronym, they sometimes just slip out. :LOL:) I wasn't impacted, I'm still working thankfully.

Knee is better but not yet 100%.

Kaneohegirlinaz - I just saw your PM and wrote you back. :yum:

Today... well it has been raining here since last night so I'm working on indoor chores. And yes I am taking time to rest and ice my knee. :angel:

Weekend away with the wife. Left kids home with grandma. Parking lot camping last night. Today we got an actual campground. I made chicken and baked potatoes on the grill and had had a picnic.received_280115636622272.jpg

Defrosting my beer fridge. Finding lost treasures.

The Chimay and LA Fin Du Monde are from 2013, the Dead Guy Ale is probably a good 10 years old or older and glows in the dark.

Hard to believe the Celebration Ale is 11 years old now. I remember buying it like it was yesterday.

Can't wait to get to the bottom shelf.

20200801_195336.jpg20200801_193826.jpg20200801_193904.jpg20200801_194424.jpg20200801_193936.jpg

Here's the fridge. 1950's GM Fridgidaire. Still rockin' 60 years later.

Yep, it was time. Poor beer thought it was a goner.

Caveat: I'm a veteran, but not a VFW veteran. Bumper sticker is from a fund raiser they did.20200801_201912.jpg20200801_190328.jpg20200801_190947.jpg

I'm surprised some of that beer is still drinkable.

My sons have often commented that beer can go "skanky" if too old. Especially if it had been frozen - not to mention losing its fizz.

I'm surprised some of that beer is still drinkable.

My sons have often commented that beer can go "skanky" if too old. Especially if it had been frozen - not to mention losing its fizz.
Some of it is. I am a collector more than a drinker. Some of the darker ales and stouts will stay good for a long time.

The hoppy brews are only good for 6 months or so. I just keep the ones I really liked.

Kind of like baseball cards. :grin:

I have a few Vintage Ales from 2001. They just keep getting better with time. The ones I took pictures from also will stand up to a long wait. They don't go bad, they just get different. Many times they get smoother and more mellow.

The Fuller's Vintage Ales actually get stronger and less smooth, like a bad whiskey, but better, which is very interesting to say the least.

Enjoying a cup of coffee in peace.
I've been so busy lately trying to get things done. The stress of it all is catching up with me.
When my sister says I sound stressed on the phone. Son says I'm cranky.
I think it's time for me to take today off as CG, says "Leisure Day"
Why ruin the first good nights sleep that I've had in weeks by working today?

Munky.

It's been four months since I took up cooking in a serious capacity. I've saved plenty of money, and am now quite good at quinoa-based recipes. They're remarkably easy to prepare. I'm happy that I can out for grocery runs now, though reading about the higher possibility of transmission indoors makes me worry for my elderly neighbors who do all their shopping themselves.

Taking up cooking has also helped me read better in that I don't worry about cutting down on takeout anymore. I used to think about cutting down all the time, and my lack of effort to that end only worsened this. If it matters, I'm reading a couple of books right now.

1. Lars Svendsen's A Philosophy of Boredom -- extremely interesting and draws from literature, philosophy, and sociology. Yet it urges the reader to judge these insights by drawing from our own experience of boredom. Which is a very noble way of saying that we need to think about what we mean we say "we're bored." Much like Bertrand Russell, Svendsen also urges to examine idleness and boredom closely, for it does constitute a great deal of our lives.

2. Gregory Mankiw's Principles of Macroeconomics -- Among other things, it focuses on the interplay between personal, micro-level choices and macro-level ramifications. It also deals with rationality and decision-making and asks us to wonder what makes certain decisions economic considerations, and what makes these considerations rational or irrational? Interesting so far.

Took apart one of the portable swamp coolers.
It was leaking out the bottom. Hopefully I fixed the problem.
Thoroughly scrubbed all the parts with vinegar and water.

Hard water had developed on the pump.
Now I'm too chicken to fill the bucket and turn it on. :rolleyes:

I truly hate mopping floors. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom