What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are sitting in the dark. Well, daytime dark for now. Power out due to powerline danger. May be another day or so.

Smoke is filling our area of Oregon. Had to bag work today as we couldn't breathe. So now sitting in the house not breathing.

Much better than folks up the mountains from us though. Blue River, one of the most beautiful areas in the state looks to be wiped out. A hundred or more homes gone. They expect to find bodies when it is over.

Folks are evacuating livestock to local rodeo grounds and such.

We are expecting more high winds tonight, so the power will stay off.

Cute pictures and kids, Jon. Looks like fun.

We are sitting in the dark. Well, daytime dark for now. Power out due to powerline danger. May be another day or so.
...We are expecting more high winds tonight, so the power will stay off.
Hoping the weather calms and you get power back soon. It's so sad about how those fires are destroying so much beauty and life. Be safe.

It is amazing how fast it has turned into an inferno. And it is in many different places.

Medford and Ashland are evacuating, Blue River and the surrounding area is gone, the Mohawk Valley is on level 3 alert which means get out now.

So far we are doing fine. Just a bit of inconvenience. I am over induging in diet soda, had three already, going for numbers 4,5 and 6 in a bit.

So we don't have anything to complain about. We are about 15 or 20 miles from the closest area at the moment.

I did get the horse trailer cleared out in case qe need to evacuate with all the critters. It will only take one tiny spark or ember to get the dry grasses started. So even being 20 miles away, we are alert.

The fire moves 20 miles last night, so...

Needless to say, another sleepless night.

Thank you all. We are fine so far.

I do know a bunch of folks who have evacuated, or who's families have. Some have already lost everything.

As for us, the worst we are dealing with at the moment is the air quality.

Our regional air quality authority meter goes to 300, which is extremely hazardous. It is rare if ever it gets to that level.

Our air quality right now is over 650. Seems we are breaking records.

They don't expect it to clear until Sunday.

Another unexpected thing is we can't eat any crops without a good washing. It seems the ash which is falling, turns to lye when it is exposed to water, or siliva.

That's a new one for me.

We need to dump livestock troughs daily as well for the same reasons.

Thank you all. We are fine so far.

I do know a bunch of folks who have evacuated, or who's families have. Some have already lost everything.

As for us, the worst we are dealing with at the moment is the air quality.

Our regional air quality authority meter goes to 300, which is extremely hazardous. It is rare if ever it gets to that level.

Our air quality right now is over 650. Seems we are breaking records.

They don't expect it to clear until Sunday.

Another unexpected thing is we can't eat any crops without a good washing. It seems the ash which is falling, turns to lye when it is exposed to water, or siliva.

That's a new one for me.

We need to dump livestock troughs daily as well for the same reasons.
I'm glad to read that you are safe so far.

As to the ash turning to lye with water or saliva, ash was the primary source of lye traditionally. I remember learning about soap making that used wood ash and animal fat. Soap is made from lye and fat or oil.

Thank you.

We had to look up the ash thing and found it is as you say.

Not that I doubt you, we had looked it up earlier.

I wasn't sure because these days it only takes one person to post on FB and then everyone takes it for truth.

My kid told me, then a friend told me, but they both heard it from a local FB page.

Amazing how our information is desiminated these days. You always need to double check I suppose.

We're having an outdoor get together with my daughters and family. Been planning it for a while. The weather's going to be cool but nice and I have a lot of work to do.

Apparently, quarantine has made my girls more 'particular' in the food choices. Each wants a different potato salad neither of which my grandson and SIL will eat. So I have to make pilaf as well. The potato salads are my project for today.

Then, of course, I have to make grandson's favorite thing to eat - Grampy's chocolate cake.

Oh, I also have to make an appetizer called "Itch" which is made with bulgar, tomato, onion and olive oil. That's a surprise for them.

But a bigger surprise will be the special pickles I bought at the Armenian store when I went there a couple of days ago. It's always been a great treat for them and they don't get them often.

The main course will be pork souvlaki with tzatziki and pita.

SO is making lemon cookies for dessert.

Last edited:
Andy - that sounds super delicious! Wow, I'm having a hard time just motivating for my grandson, coming tomorrow, to finish his birthday cake.

which is not coming along as I envisioned, :rolleyes::LOL:

maybe I'll just pack up the car with them and head to your place.

Andy - that sounds super delicious! Wow, I'm having a hard time just motivating for my grandson, coming tomorrow, to finish his birthday cake.

which is not coming along as I envisioned, :rolleyes::LOL:

maybe I'll just pack up the car with them and head to your place.

Can you bring the cake?

Sure, I'll try to make it fit in the van.

You should maybe widen your door a bit though.

Attachments

• cartoondragondoor-1.JPG
    cartoondragondoor-1.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom