What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can keep the snow, KGirl, but the food you are having with it sounds good!

My freezer died a couple days ago - could have been worse, since it is still staying around 18-20º, with the door closed for a while. It runs non-stop, so it's probably the compressor. I talked to a fellow that repairs appliances (he did my DW and fridge a while back...I think he's semi-retired now), and he was honest with me, and told me that it would probably cost 2/3 the price of a new one, for him to fix it. So last night I sat down with my inventory notebook, and highlighted everything that I have to move over to a friend's freezer. This Is a guy who barely cooks at all, and his wife cooks less! He sent me a photo of the inside of the freezer, and I replied, "holy ____! My freezer hasn't been that empty since the day I got it!"

So today I took everything out from each shelf, one at a time, and put all the grains, nuts, and flours - things I can stick on my back porch temporarily, with no problems - in bags, in a large box, and all the perishables in other plastic bags, and put them back in, when I removed everything from the next shelf/basket, to do the same. Fortunately, a lot of the stuff I have in boxes, like all the butter, etc., so it didn't really take long - about 3 hours. Tomorrow morning, all that gets taken to his house, to put in that empty freezer!

I haven't worked this hard since planting my garlic and shallots!:LOL: I actually got wet! I didn't realize it until I went outside, where it was very windy today! I didn't stay out there long, fortunately.

I've been researching what freezer to buy, and where to buy it, and may have found a good place; I would like to buy it closer to home, but the only place around here only has Maytag, which is low on the CR rating list. I checked Lowe's and HD, but all the larger models were listed "unavailable". Why do they even list them then?!

I was lucky to have a friend with an almost empty freezer. Today, I got my exercise in by loading all those bags of food into large shopping bags (4 or 5 bags/large bag), and carrying them upstairs and putting all 12 of them on my front porch, then taking them all out to load in my car. I got my pulse up to 127 doing this, but it went down fast - only 5 min to get to 95. Lately, I've had to increase the tension even more on my exercise bike, as it was getting harder to get my pulse up, with the same speed, so that's a good thing!

Here is all that food in my friend's freezer! All they had in there was about half the door shelves filled with frozen veggies, frosted up, and 6 quart containers of soup or something - not labeled, which I pointed out to my friend, who is OCD about some things, but not things like this! There was only one thing I found in all that food of mine unlabeled, but I knew what it was, and later I found the tape, that had fallen off the container (usually this doesn't happen - maybe the container was oily, or something). And only one package of food from all that was wasted (not really wasted - I might make broth with it!:ROFLMAO:) - a 12 oz package of chicken thighs, on which the vacuum seal had broken. Not bad, for all that food! And the only things I couldn't fit in his freezer was two large Ziplocs, with pineapple cubes, which I eventually stuffed in my refrigerator freezer.
All of my frozen food, stuffed in the slightly smaller freezer of a good friend. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Fortunately, all those "dry goods" (no, not that kind of dry goods!) I keep in the freezer went on my back porch. Two 18 gal tubs are filled, mostly with grains, and a few spices, plus two large bags of all that stuff from my freezer door - 25 jars, several 2 qt jars, a few pints, but mostly quarts. A few odd items, too, like cheese making supplies, and a couple garden items. These things on the door is the only stuff in freezer that was not inventoried - never got around to it, and probably put it off because it was always in sight, so why bother? Still, I like to have it inventoried, to know what I am down to.

I have two places to check out tomorrow - one I got my first DW and fridge when I was setting up my kitchen in late '83. Nice to see they are still here!

Last edited:
Watching 2 male cardinals and 4 female cardinals vie with the chickadees, Junco's, sparrows (2 or 3 species), nuthatch, Downy Woodpeckers for what's left on the 3 birdfeeders that the *&%*$# Blue Jays decimated yesterday's newly filled. :ohmy: :ermm:

pepper, which freezer are you looking at? I too might be in the market for a new one. I'm assuming it will be an upright?

Last edited:
dragnlaw, I ended up getting a GE today. I was originally looking for either of two Frigidaires, but the fellows I talked to on the phone at two of the appliance stores told me the same thing - those 20 cu ft models (and pretty much all the rest!) were on back order, and one of them had talked to the company about it recently and one model they had 700 on back order! And a guy on another forum told me that he had waited 5 months for a particular Whirlpool he'd been looking for - not something I will be doing!

Turns out that I downsized slightly - 17.3 cu ft, as this was something the last store I called actually had in stock! They had a bunch of GE models in stock, but the 20 cu ft GE was 4" too tall! Turns out, the first 3 models in Consumer Reports freezer rating list were GEs, and I got #3, I think. Numbers 4 and 5 were Frigidaires, so when I was looking for that model, I figured it would be OK. It seems like GE is the only one that's keeping up with orders. He had two models of 17 cu ft, and they looked identical on the specs, until he got to the "temp alarm", which the other didn't have. I spent the extra $50. I didn't even know they made them without the alarms any more! That one I got in '84 had one - the way I found out it had died...or almost.

The freezer my friend has, that all that food stuffed into, is only 14 cu ft, so it will go into the new one easily, with room to spare. Delivery date is 2-4, only a couple weeks away. I figure I'll have to start eating nothing but freezer stuff, and I'll make room for all those dry goods on my back porch. Those will be OK for a couple of months, before it gets warm out.

Thanks Pepper, good to know. Actually I never really knew that they came with alarms. I know fridges now do so I guess it makes sense that a freezer would. That extra $50. is worth it, especially if you live in an area that has frequent power outages.

What Are You Doing?

Well, I'm still waiting for my Sous Vide cooker
to arrive! :mad:

I had purchased 2 gorgeous 1 inch thick, bone-in
Pork Chops at Sprouts on Wednesday, thinking
that I'd be cooking them on Friday ...

NOPE!

IMG_0208.jpg

So I bagged and tagged `em for later... into the deep freezer they go.
I added some Shallots, Garlic and fresh Thyme, oh and of course
a generous amount of Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper (I always
hear Chef John in my head when I say that now :LOL:)
And on another note, I followed Kenji's method of bagging the
Chops ... that was a fail! I did this THREE times and still,
way too much air in the bag for my liking!
I re-did them in my Food Saver! ;) There ya go!

Dad took me out for brunch, shoe shopping and a quick Wal-mart trip. Mom didn't go, she was too tired. Got me out of the house for a few hours. Today was Shrek's Birthday. I got through it well.

More (((hugs))) to you, PF. It never gets easier, just different, but it must be extra hard when it's a spouse. More (((hugs))).

I just gotta ask you, K-Girl, why would you plan and prep a meal to cook sous vide before you actually had the sous vide unit? Shipping for everything has been so backed up for months that we no longer trust "will be delivered..." estimates. I'd have to wait until I had something in my hot little hand first, but that's just me. ;)

{{{hugs PF}}}

More (((hugs))) to you, PF. It never gets easier, just different, but it must be extra hard when it's a spouse. More (((hugs))).

(((Hugs PF)))

More hugs for you PF. aaaand on a lighter note... did you get some shoes? comfy and really expensive? yup, that's what you deserve!

Thank You, I am really okay today, it's why we made plans for today. But, I have had a good day.

The shoes...the shoe store did not have a great selection and half of it was sandals. But, I did find two pair of winter shoes (nothing in the casual work wear type) they are both fleece lined and warm. As an added bonus I picked up a pair of cute boots. Dad was carrying my boxes as I was looking and had the patience of a saint with my indecision. The winter shoes are classy enough I will be able to wear them to work.

Haven't bought shoes for a awhile...this was fun.

It's cold and snowing, so
I put a pot of Split Pea Soup on,
and as I was about to just
dump in the bag of dried Peas,
I thought better of that
and gave them a rinse and goin' over...

IMG_0214.jpg

... and it's a good thing too BOY!!!
:ohmy:
I haven't found a stone in any dried beans in years!
That could have broken a tooth!!! :glare:

Sitting in a parking lot waiting for SO to finish her medical appointment. Have to start the car from time to time because it’s below freezing.

Back
Top Bottom