What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spent a good chunk of today putting Christmas decorations away. :neutral: Mostly the really Christmasy things like Santas and reindeer and angels. Still have pine trees around, along with snowmen. After all, trees are still standing in the woods, and we're finally getting some snow. Not enough to make snowmen, though.

I'm takin' a break! Actually, I took a long break earlier (and drawing up my garden plans during that time!), after getting all of the "stuff" out of the way, for those guys delivering my new freezer! I got it out of the way downstairs a couple of days ago, and removed the old door for them, to save them a little work. They were apologizing for being late, but I told them no problem - I knew all that snow would slow them down all day, and I'm not going anywhere! When they got here, and I took them down to see what they were in for, one of them, when he saw my range, blurted out "holy s***!", then immediately apologized for saying it. I said "Aren't you glad you aren't moving that today?" And the other guy said "We don't do those!" After they asked me a bunch of things about it (the one that surprised them most was when I told them it was 37 years old), we went down, and I showed them what they were in for!

They had a hard time getting the old one out, but eventually got it. The new one went in easier, as it is about 6" shorter, though width and depth were almost identical. Found out that both of them like hot peppers, when they saw all those jars of hot peppers from the shelf I had moved out of the way, and found out one of them had even tried the Reaper - last time for him too! The other had only gotten to the ghost peppers. :LOL: I made it worth their while with a decent tip for both of them, and we started talking more about food when they saw all those jars on my counter - the 60+ jars that I had to remove from that shelf in the kitchen, to get it out of their way. The one guy recognized some of the lentils, and said that he once dated an Indian lady that had a bunch of those, so he knew that I had to cook Indian! We could have talked about food the rest of the day (food does that to people!), but they said that, unfortunately, they had to back! I told them to stop by, once this pandemic gets under control, and in the summer, in late July, the peppers start producing!

After they left, I put everything back downstairs, then leveled the freezer - had to cut a wedge for one of the back feet, as it was way off, and rocking. After I got the two front ones adjusted, I just tapped the wedge in, and it was just right! Then I put everything back in the kitchen - the pots and wok I took off the wall by the door, that would have been in their way, then the shelf went back, and all those jars (plus a few cans I use the most of). I usually take all those off once a year, in the winter, to dust all the jars, and the shelves (surprisingly clean, though I often wipe them throughout the year). I also set some older things aside, to use first, and some empty jars, that I have to refill, eventually.

I'll have to wait a while before getting my food into the freezer, from my friend's house - the door to the basement has a snow bank over it! What's a few more days...

Oh yeah, I also got a LOT of cardboard, to use in my garden this summer, for keeping weeds at bay! I just have to cut it up. :ohmy:

We have a 13 cu. ft. upright freezer in the basement. We've had it for about 20 years. It's been a boon for us. However, the one downside is that it is a manual defrost freezer and defrosting it is a pain in the butt.

We empty the freezer of its contents and turn it off. Some of the delicate items such as breads and baked goods go into a freezer bag or cooler as they thaw quickly. Our freezer has a drain plug and that's connected to our sump hole via plastic tubing.

I fill my four largest saucepans with water and bring them to a boil and one pan of boiling water goes on each shelf. Then The freezer door is closed and we wait. In about an hour or so, depending on how long ago we defrosted the freezer last time, the ice is melted, the water has run down the drain and we can wipe it out and return to goods to the freezer. All organized and neatly arranged. (that doesn't last long.)

The hardest part of the process is carrying the larger saucepans full of boiling water down the cellar stairs.

It's amazing what you find that you can toss in the trash, wondering why on earth you kept it for so long.

[emoji1787] I bet! I don't have that incentive to clean out my freezers often enough, but maybe I should put it on my calendar [emoji6]

I think it's part of freezer law that you have to wait until there's more frost than food in the freezer.

Andy, I have heard that you get less freezer burn in a manual defrost freezer. Something about the temperature cycle to keep away the frost causes extra freezer burn. I wonder if it's true.

Andy, I have heard that you get less freezer burn in a manual defrost freezer. Something about the temperature cycle to keep away the frost causes extra freezer burn. I wonder if it's true.

I think it is. A frost-free freezer does its job by periodically blowing warm air into the freezer to melt frost and circulate the moisture out of the freezer. Then it goes back on a cooling cycle. When this happens, moisture is drawn out of foods that have parts exposed to air like meats in store packaging. This repeated moisture removal results in freezer "burn" which is actually dehydration.

Our youngest grandchild is a girl...all the way. Everything girlie is her bag. The pinker it is, the better. Glitter, all the better. Minnie Mouse is her idol.

Her 4th birthday will be on the 24th and I have been having fun making some doll clothes for her Christmas doll, an 18-inch doll similar to an American Girl doll.

So far, I've made a sleeveless dress, hat to match, along with Minnie panties and a tote bag. The fabric is pink, pink, pink with Minnie in all manner of happy poses.

The headliner will be an evening gown made of hot pink glitter fabric.

I think she'll be pleased.

That is a myth, that I didn't have problems with even before I got my Foodsaver. I think the walls heat up briefly, but that's all. My parents always had a manual defrost freezer, while I was growing up, and occasionally they skipped a year defrosting it, and it had more frost than food in it! That's why I got an auto defrost one, when I set up.

With all that food I transferred to my friend's freezer, there was only 1 piece of chicken that had gone bad - 2 thighs, not even some of the oldest, but the vacuum seal had broken. That was the only thing that went bad in the entire freezer!

Today I checked the dimensions of my new freezer, and got my first food in it - some venison that a friend brought over for me to trim, and grind the parts I couldn't cut into useable cubes. Got 78 oz ground, and just over that, for the stew/satay meat Got all of that from another friend, who cleared my walks and cars during the storm. He and his son got 5 deer in one day - I think his 2 freezers might be filled!

Last edited:
Think it might be time?
I have an old Amana upright freezer. I've had it since 1970 and I believe it was about 20 years old when I bought it if not older.
I am moving in less than 2 months. Now I have to eat to my way to everything here. Not taking it with me. 20210206_072424.jpg

And that's just the top shelf!

Last edited:
You got a lot of eating to do out of your freezer, dragnlaw! So where are you moving to? You've probably mentioned it, but I don't remember!:rolleyes: Somewhere slightly warmer, I hope!

I got all of my food from my friend's freezer, back into my freezer today! Easier than getting it ready, then over there, but not much! This one will be more organized; even though I had almost every item inventoried in the old one, things were scattered all over, putting them where ever space was available! And the only things that weren't inventoried were 3 small packets of brownies - something that I probably ate frozen, while I was downstairs, and never erased them from the book! All of the chicken is on one shelf now, all of the other meats, all of the tomatoes, etc. And a box that fits almost perfectly, I put all those beans (I didn't know I had this many - last season was sort of low for beans!), squash blossoms, and other garden veggies. I'll get another box in there for the nuts later on, when the dry goods go back in.

As my friend was watching me unload his freezer into the large bags we took all those small bags in, he made a comment about how, in all that food I didn't have any of that...and as he was trying to figure out how to word it, I said "Prepared food?" He said "yeah, like frozen pizzas, and all those other frozen things in that aisle in the store." I reminded him that he had never seen anything like that in my house, except one thing that I did have a couple of today - Chinese dumplings! I told him that there was actually a bunch of prepared food, in all those containers on his door - food that I had prepared! How did we make it before microwave ovens??? Remove something like that 2 days before we would need it, and put it in the fridge!

Since all of those foods I moved back and forth were in the inventory book, it will be easy to write the inventory book for the new one - just transfer all the chicken listed to the top shelf, all of the meats to the next shelf, etc. Being snowed in the next couple of days will give me a good time to do this, and fit more boxes into the freezer.
Food loaded into new freezer, except for the dry goods, and there are a lot of them! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepper, I see that you have the same Aldi "Tupperware" that I have. I like the yogurt containers from Aldi and Fage yogurts for freezing soup - or to give to the neighbor across the street.

long story

pepper.... "You got a lot of eating to do out of your freezer, dragnlaw! So where are you moving to? You've probably mentioned it, but I don't remember! Somewhere slightly warmer, I hope!"

No, pepper, your memory is fine. LOL, I didn't mention it anywhere. I have friends here (in my area) who read this forum and I couldn't let any news get out. At times I wanted to and would have vented some of my frustrations here had I even started! :LOL: The whole process was completely bizarre. For various reasons it took over a month to finalize the sale. Not in any way normal and needless to say, it took a toll on my nerves.
Sorry taxy, couldn't even mention it to you!

I have sold my chickens, well, they are still here but gone in a couple of weeks. I have sold one pair of my geese - sniff.... they will be here 'til I actually move. I know the purchasers and they are going to an excellent home. The other pair I will take back to the breeder, who coincidentally, lives not too far from where I am going.

So leaving the farm with views of fields and my animals (not to mention the wild ones too, coyote, fox, deer, turkey, etc) for an apartment in my sons home ":ohmy: in a town! :ohmy:"

I will be downsizing in everyway. Have kitchen privileges', so other than my coffee machine (and maybe a microw') I don't need any of the
major appliances... stove/fridge/washer/dryer/etc. even the freezers. Their freezer is also pretty full at the moment too! So eat up you glutenous dragn!

I actually am moving back closer to my birth home and a 'slightly' more temperate area. The town I'm going to is called Waterdown which has just recently been annexed by the city of Hamilton (which is where I was born). Will be in a suburban like area with trees and a ravine behind us and quiet neighbours on one side - a lot of people there but like I say, very quiet - at least I hope so.... it's a graveyard. ;)

So I will rent a storage area and move what doesn't fit into the apartment into storage and slowly sell stuff from there... at least that is the plan for now, tomorrow might be a different story, it changes every day... :wacko:

Last edited:
dragnlaw, Good luck getting to your new place smoothly, with no problems at all! Sorry to hear you have to leave your farm animals - I knew how much they meant to you. Once you get settled in, will you be able to grow things there?

GC I always save those kinds of containers, though not all are as good as that "Aldi Tupperware"! Ever have things melt in the DW? :LOL: Mushroom containers often do this, so I just wash them out, and use them for starting seeds in!

Making some doll clothes for one of our grand-daughters. She has an 18-inch doll, a lot like an American Girl doll. Her birthday is the 28th of this month. She's dipped and dyed with Minnie Mouse and all things pink and sparkly and I've already taken cared of an outfit with that theme that inludes a dress, hat, panties, tote bag, along with some sparkly shoes (not my craft). I'm also making a really, really sparkly hot pink evening gown.

I think she'll be a happy camper!

Pepper, my son does have a large back yard and just recently built several raised boxes. His biggest problem is too many trees but they aren't on his property.
They are just learning to grow things - ha! and they think I will be able to guide them.... oh boy, the disappointment when they realize I've NOT got a green thumb.

Back
Top Bottom