What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pepper, my son does have a large back yard and just recently built several raised boxes. His biggest problem is too many trees but they aren't on his property.
They are just learning to grow things - ha! and they think I will be able to guide them.... oh boy, the disappointment when they realize I've NOT got a green thumb.

:LOL: I do not have a green thumb. Truly. Plants in ground will survive. Plants in pots and containers have numbered days. :ROFLMAO:

Pepper, my son does have a large back yard and just recently built several raised boxes. His biggest problem is too many trees but they aren't on his property.
They are just learning to grow things - ha! and they think I will be able to guide them.... oh boy, the disappointment when they realize I've NOT got a green thumb.
For some reason, I just assumed that since you were an animal farmer, you also farmed veggies! My mistake...:rolleyes:

:LOL: I do not have a green thumb. Truly. Plants in ground will survive. Plants in pots and containers have numbered days. :ROFLMAO:
You just have to get the confidence to do it...and plants that are hard to kill! :LOL: Someday, you'll have a plant like my 19 year old like tree.

You just have to get the confidence to do it...and plants that are hard to kill! :LOL: Someday, you'll have a plant like my 19 year old like tree.

Oh, I have the confidence...and desire....and have had plants that are hard to kill. Their days are sadly numbered the moment they are plopped into a pot. :LOL:

ohhh... I can give good precise instructions and if you follow them faithfully everything will be fantastic!

as long as I don't do it. :rolleyes:

Every once in a while, the bigger chain grocery store has a good deal on value pack pork chops. Even though I had very little room in my freezer, I figured I could get one package, make breaded chops with the nicest three and cram the less nice three into the freezer... somewhere. Well, these were some of the nicest bargain chops I had seen! Two packages later..
I've been busy dividing up the chops. The three on the bottom left are for breaded chops Sunday or Monday. The three bottom-right are in the freezer for chops with apples and shallots in the future. I baked the half dozen in the back with BBQ sauce, some for tonight, some for leftovers, and some for the freezer.

All in all, not bad for only 99¢ a pound.
IMG_20210218_180736429.jpg

Last edited:
how to meet people

Lonely? Looking for someone in the same situ?

GO DUMPSTER DIVING!

Drove around behind our local Dollar Store. Needing more boxes for packing.

and there, lo and behold, was someone else, loading up on boxes for a move.

The Dragon Bless her! She also helped me reaching in to the depths (tricky, yuh don't want to fall in!) and although she was almost done - helped me load up the van with a great assortment of boxes.

My recommendation for the day....

.....forget the church socials - go dumpster diving!

lonely? Looking for someone in the same situ?

go dumpster diving!

drove around behind our local dollar store. Needing more boxes for packing.

And there, lo and behold, was someone else, loading up on boxes for a move.

The dragon bless her! She also helped me reaching in to the depths (tricky, yuh don't want to fall in!) and although she was almost done - helped me load up the van with a great assortment of boxes.

My recommendation for the day....

.....forget the church socials - go dumpster diving!

laughs and giggles8.jpg

Today I replaced the drawer slides on one of my kitchen drawers, something that I did early on to 3 of them, so they would have full extension, and hold more weight (for those spice drawers). This wasn't really necessary, for the other drawers, but this one was loosening for the first time in 37 years (not bad, for cheap drawer slides!), so, instead of repairing it, I put a new, full extension slide in. I have so many of those things in all different sizes in my workshop, from when I bought a bunch from some places going out of business. For a spacer, I had to place some wood to just over 7/8" thick (of course, it wouldn't be simple, like 3/4" thick! lol), but that was no big deal. Getting it level inside the cabinet was the biggest pita, plus getting the screws in the slide in the cabinet, but that long reaching vise-grip clamp made this much easier, and those square drive screws - those things make things sooooooo much easier! I just throw those screws out for these slides, since I got a box of a thousand of the truss head square drives to use for these types of things about 30 years ago from Mc Feeley's - plus dozens of other sizes and types of square drive wood screws, and I rarely use any others.
New full extension drawer slide in kitchen junk drawer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tonight, I went down to straighten up my workshop, after bringing all those things for several projects upstairs, and back down. I also cleaned out my garlic - only 4 bad heads, surprisingly, and still a lot of good ones. That Montana Giant is one I only grew a half pound of last season, but it did very well, and tasted very good, so I grew a good amount of what I harvested. And now I see it is storing very well, so that is a keeper - I'll have to order some, when I get my garlic "seed" for next season.

I also trimmed my kaffir lime plants tonight (I should really do this in the light!), and, as usual, I'm probably throwing away more than I used since the last trimming. But there are no small Asian grocers or restaurants to give them to around here, like I do with the epazote and curry leaves. But I have to do this now, as there are still 2 months before they go back outside. And then, another trimming!
Trimmed kaffir lime branches, 3-3, still 2 months before going back outside. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I think so taxy, the head of a "square screw" is actually hexagone and is considered more of a bolt. But I have to admit I thought of the bolt first.

Those ruddy Robertsons', if you don't use the exact size bit you're in big deep ka ka.

Pepper, I love those slides! I built a slide shelf using them a long time ago. Installed the shelf in the bottom of a lower cabinet. It was too awkward to drag out the things in behind. Worked beautifully - wouldn't have wanted a carpenter/cabinet guy to inspect my work, :rolleyes: tho.

Later, I bought some to put on drawers in one of the homes I built but the cabinet guy didn't want to use them. :mad: When I came home one day he had already installed those dinky white ones.
These drawer were quite wide and deep, for holding heavy pots. I just held on to the slides figuring I would replace them myself - never did. They followed me to the farm here and got stored in the damp basement. Threw them out last year - too rusty to save. :(

Back
Top Bottom