"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #16131
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Oh, Andy. {{{{{hugs}}}}

Thanks so much. Your sincere well wishes mean so much!

Old 12-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #16132
Executive Chef

Thinking about how I must go home today and leave my sweet little grandbabies. DD came home from the hospital last night, she and new baby Jayce Nathaniel are settling in. The two "big" sisters are very excited and will be helpful. Son-in law will have the next week off to help care for everyone and Nana must go back to work tomorrow. :(

Old 12-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #16133
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The apartment doors should also be fire rated. That way, if your hear the alarms and the fire is NOT in your apartment, stay put...do not open the door.

When our alrams go off at work, we get everyone behind a fire rated door and head for the where the fire alarms were triggered with extinguishers. There is no way we could evacuate the whole building. But I have evacuated a unit.
They are. In fact, there are some residents who like to prop their doors open. When an alarm goes off, all doors close (slam is more like it) automatically. Scares the heck out of them. One resident who is in her late 90's, swears her apartment is haunted by the person who lived there before. She is trying to force her to stay in her apartment. We just humor her.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #16134
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Thinking about how I must go home today and leave my sweet little grandbabies. DD came home from the hospital last night, she and new baby Jayce Nathaniel are settling in. The two "big" sisters are very excited and will be helpful. Son-in law will have the next week off to help care for everyone and Nana must go back to work tomorrow. :(
Aw...leaving gk behind is the hardest thing. Did you tell DD she should inspect your luggage to make sure you don't smuggle Jayce out???
Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #16135
Executive Chef

Quote:
Aw...leaving gk behind is the hardest thing. Did you tell DD she should inspect your luggage to make sure you don't smuggle Jayce out???
Lol PF! Since I never had A little boy myself, he will be very special, I love the girls but there is just something about boys ... Yes it's very hard too leave them, but Nana does need a break!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #16136
Certified Cake Maniac

TB has the flu also.

Andy, hope you are better soon.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #16137
Proud American

We had to take Mamma to the emergency room today. She has pneumonia and it developed very quickly. Lakisha hasn't been home since she got sick so her Mamma won't get this, I tore three stitches in my back driving Mamma to the hospital and Carl was very upset at me. I'm the only one good enough to drive Joy that fast through city streets because he and Lakisha didn't learn to drive in Romania! That made him be quiet. He did say he was very impressed, and he had had no idea a hybrid could go that fast!

I'm watching Mamma very carefully. Lakisha moved to the sofabed couch in the living room of my lair so I can sleep with Mamma. I'd given them my big bed because they are my guests, but Lakisha said Mamma needed me, not her. This one time I agreed. I love Lakisha! She is so very sensible.

Mamma's on medications and she's breathing better. I was so very, very scared. Carl sat in the back of Joy, holding Mamma and comforting her. She had her head on his shoulder when I looked once in the mirror and his cheek was on her forehead and he was whispering soothing words to her. He wouldn't let me take her alone, and now he's all exposed to this sickness.

While we were gone, Papa took apart one of the twin beds in Carl's room upstairs (2nd floor) and moved it to behind the couch in my lair, and he brought all of Carl's things down here. He's down here in the lair/infirmary now, for we can't afford so much exposure of this to DA. I'm so very blessed to be surrounded by such sensible people.

Papa's a great cook, and he's been cooking for DA upstairs using her recipes. Down here, there is very much chicken soup and comfort foods. Yesterday Papa bought himself a small cheap gas grill because DA wanted grilled shrimp and it's a real trouble dragging my big Weber up to there. My Papa is a grill magician, and he's taught me so very much!

Papa and I are still maintaining our new, wonderful relationship. He has two daughters now. I'll always be his little girl and I'll always need my Papa, but I'm also an adult now and I still need my Papa.

I have a question of rings and Papa and Mamma said to ask of you about this, so I'll put that on a different posting.

Andy, I hope you aren't too very sick. I'm praying that this will be a superficial little cold and you'll be well rid of it very, very soon.

Fire doors can save one's life. These are these heavy, metal doors, yes?

With love,
~Cat
Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #16138
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Sorry everyone for not answering sooner. We were at the hospital from 11 am until after 2 pm (PST) and I was both exhausted and frustrated. I tried to rest to no luck and just didn't feel like typing or going over the day.

The ultrasound showed I have "sludge" in my gallbladder and fatty deposits on my liver. I am already on cholesterol medication and watch my diet fairly carefully. The ER doctor said that the "sludge" can be as painful as a stone and can even form into a stone, but that surgery is not necessarily needed and is not considered an emergency so I would wait 2 months for the appointment with the surgeon then 6 - 8 months for the surgery.

As most of you know I suffer from chronic pain through most of my body from things like osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, a triple back fracture in my lumbar region and a few others. So, when I break into tears at a hospital over an acute pain, you KNOW it is bad. The doctor asked if there was anything she could do to help me and I said "yes, take out my gallbladder!" To which she said "I don't think you want me doing that", which lightened the mood a little. Instead, she gave me a referral, a shot of morphine and some pills to take home and wished me well.

The pain is increasing and the morphine did nothing so I have stopped taking it (am already so itchy from it) and am back to my regular pain meds which at least keep the chronic pain manageable and I can work to handle the new pain.

If it gets worse tonight, TB is taking me to a different hospital which is smaller and they tend to look after people a little better. I will call my family doctor and she if she is working between Christmas and New Years. Meanwhile, I am just trying to rest and eat a very low fat diet to see If I can resolve this on my own. I have been doing a lot of google searching!

Thanks for caring. I love you all so much.
Keeping you in our prayers Sorry you have to deal with so much pain. Sending positive thoughts & prayers to you!!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #16139
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary by getting ready for work. I'm thinking we'll go out to dinner tonight.
Happy Belated Anniversary!!

I am still getting caught up...
Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #16140
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thank you! We had a good one!