What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My DH has been feeding birds in our backyard for many years. Well, I decided I wanted to put a feeder and bird bath in the front yard. It has been fun watching them. Yesterday I put some raisin bread out for them.This morning I looked to see if they eat it. Much to my surprise the raisins were gone but the bread was still there. My DH thought that either the squirrels or rabbits ate them.:)

That's interesting. I didn't know that small animals were so picky. :ermm:

Ross

Bread is not a good food for birds. They can't digest it well, so it fills them up, but it doesn't have the calories they need. Birds naturally eat fruit, seeds and insects. Wild bird seed would be much better for them.

Bread is not a good food for birds. They can't digest it well, so it fills them up, but it doesn't have the calories they need. Birds naturally eat fruit, seeds and insects. Wild bird seed would be much better for them.
Maybe that's why they only ate the raisins. Probably much healthier for them.

I do feed them wild bird seed, I was going to give them a little treat. My DH has been feeding his birds bread for over twenty years.

I am prepping for a batch of morning glory muffins for my in-laws. They are like my own parents (who are gone) and they are having a tough time trying to sell a property in Palm Springs because of covid protocols (crossing the borders and lack of flights).

I am doing it all from scratch (making my own applesauce, "crushing" fresh pineapple, grating carrots, etc. so it takes a little longer but the muffins and our parents are worth it.

I love being able to bake - it is medicine for the soul.

I do feed them wild bird seed, I was going to give them a little treat. My DH has been feeding his birds bread for over twenty years.
It's a treat for people, not birds. Their digestive systems and taste buds are not like ours; in fact, they have no taste receptors for capsaicin, which is why they're good at spreading hot pepper seeds. They need lots of energy to fly and they don't get it from bread. I'm sure the birds your husband has been feeding eat elsewhere, too.

GG is right, bread is not good for birds, but on the other hand - it won't kill them.... unless they are ducks in a park getting tons of bread from visitors... then there could be a problem.

Trouble is - they LOVE bread. My geese got bread and yes, it wasn't really right, but they love it. I made whole wheat (s'p cast iron rolls, no less! :LOL:) and they each got a couple of tiny slices every day.

It is also a teaching and training tool. They'll come for the bread, :D - slam the gate - they're in for the night.

I'm waiting for my produce-and-more basket to arrive. I'm next on their delivery schedule. I even know the name of the delivery person.

I like that! I wish I had friends like that around here, to eat some of my pests. Only garter snakes around this area, at least that's all I've ever seen, and very seldom.

I'm back out in the garden now, after having a snack, and refilling my iced tea.

I have a neighbor whose daughter used to bring garter snakes from their house to ours, to help keep critters out of the garden [emoji38]

Today is the first day of the WCWS, held @ ASA Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City. :)

College softball is my favorite team sport and I will be watching every game (live and recorded) today through next Wednesday (if necessary).

While Jeannie enjoys the games, she will be spending most of the time working at her puzzle table or playing her computer games.

Ross

Tracking down the owner of this exotic cat that’s been hanging out here. Someone’s broken hearted it’s run off.

Attachments

• BC0BD662-F611-4A8C-BB29-5247026CA050.jpg
    BC0BD662-F611-4A8C-BB29-5247026CA050.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 34
Those Leopard cats are usually friendly. I suggest you try to catch the poor thing. They are not used to being out.

The price paid for those usually dictate that they be kept indoors! Not only are the owners broken hearted but probably broken the bank too!

Those Leopard cats are usually friendly. I suggest you try to catch the poor thing. They are not used to being out.

The price paid for those usually dictate that they be kept indoors! Not only are the owners broken hearted but probably broken the bank too!
Theirs a chip scanner at our Vet. We’ll take her there when they open.
She’s wearing only a flea collar.
We’re thick with Coyotes here cats have to be kept in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom