What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Anniversary, CG & DH. :)

I'd have to pass on the nail polish tho. A bit too dark for me. Jeannie prefers me to lean towards a more pink shade. :ermm::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ross

We just received a grocery order. We have put stuff away. Now, I'm checking the register receipt against the list of stuff that we got. I write down the stuff and quantity as DH takes stuff out of the bags. That danged register tape is hard to read. They print very badly. I don't know if it needs cleaning or what. It's the heat printed kind of tape, so it isn't low on ink, which is what it looks like.

Making a rental car reservation...

I got an email from the owners of the condo that we rent from when ever we go back home to Hawaii, asking if we're planning on coming to Honolulu next May and June, as we have been doing for the past I can't remember how many years, but...
We really hadn't planned on going back so soon after the
World Fell Off It's Axis!

Anyways, I told them yes, we'd love to, please pencil us in.

THEN we started to think logically:
What are the travel restrictions to Hawaii?
What are the everyday restrictions on Oahu right now?
Will these change again tomorrow?

The airfares are pretty cheap right now, but that's now.
The rental car was very expensive, I don't know if they have replenished the rentals cars on Oahu ... the last coupla years, they sold off their fleets and there are no rental cars!

The flight to Hawaii is a mind field of restrictions!
And even on Oahu, you MUST wear a mask 24-7 --- even outside, on the beach, swimming --- WHAT THE :glare:

So we're still penciled in, but it's looking more and more like

NOPE

That's not happening!

AGAIN!
:censored:

Took the boys to a collage basketball game last night. They got free tickets for selling $1000 in popcorn for scouts. I found this gem of a record at an old record store downtown Omaha. American Graffiti sound track. It's spinning right now. PXL_20211127_223144996.jpgPXL_20211128_170427478.jpg

For me, once December hits, time starts flying by! Not that it goes slow at other times. :LOL: Anyway, many years back, I realized the stress that can come with the end of the year, can really impact me in a bad way. Ruin the holidays for me, if you know what I mean? So, I started spread things out. I shop year round, for holiday gifts & I put them in a box in the closet. I keep a spreadsheet and fill in what I'm thinking of getting and check it off when i get it. I order Christmas cards and stamps in October. I address them, write in them, sign them...bug DH to sign them, before Thanksgiving. They get mailed on the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving. Autumn decorations have been removed and Christmas decorations are in place. DH is working on the lights outside now.

So all of the above is done. Today, I made the file folders for next year's bills and paperwork. Mine and MIL's. I have a Word Doc with labels for the folders, I just check them, adjust years, print and stick them on the folders. That's done, and I noticed I need more file folders, so I stuck a box in my Amazon Cart.

Now it is time to start considering menus for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. We do the family get together on the Eves, allowing everyone to sleep in and relax on Christmas Day and New Year's Day. I'm thinking maybe a whole Beef Tenderloin for Christmas Eve. Or a ham? I want to do some kind of an edible wreath. Either appetizer or salad. Swedish Cream or Chocolate Pie....But, no pressure, I'll figure it out soon!

I'm cursing one of Neighborhood Gal Pals is what I'm doing!

Just the other day, she was saying how much she dis-liked the dishwasher that came with her new home and wished that it would break so that she could justify getting a new one.

Today, I loaded up my dishwasher, which is fine by me, and the dang thing

WON'T START!

I waited all day for one the repair guys that I left messages with to call me back.
The guy I really wanted to use was the first and figures it has to do with the control panel and shouldn't be a big deal.

Here's the big rub though:

we have to wait TWO WEEKS!

:mad:

Well, at least it's something and we'll mostly be using plastic and paper for the time being. I have a bunch and put it all out on the kitchen back counter for all to use.

Oh, here's another rub, I'm hosting game afternoon for the Gals this Saturday :blink:
I maybe rethinking the snack bar menu... :LOL:

Ouch! So sorry K-girl! We had something similar happen to ours, not too long ago. Thankfully, there wasn't as long of a wait for service. But, what he recommended was disconnecting something that is redundant or not really necessary and that it fixes this issue for just the "service charge". The other route was boo-coo bucks and will likely repeat. We went with the disconnect thing & it has been fine ever since!

First World Problems, K-Girl.

When we were without power for 62 or so hours back in 2011, I managed to wash dishes by boiling water in a kettle on our camp stove. Cooked on that stove, too, so we could dirty the dishes. I'm sure you'll survive. [emoji6]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Got my booster today. My arm is aching, and I'm starting to feel lousy.

I made 1 pint quick pickled jalapeños and 1 quart dill pickles for X-mas and New years.
I tried a jalapeño several hours after being in the fridge. WOW! Those jalapeños are as hot as hell fire! I felt the burn for quite a while afterwards.

First World Problems, K-Girl.

When we were without power for 62 or so hours back in 2011, I managed to wash dishes by boiling water in a kettle on our camp stove. Cooked on that stove, too, so we could dirty the dishes. I'm sure you'll survive. [emoji6]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Discuss Cooking mobile app

:LOL: You beat me to it. As much as I adore K-Girl, I had to burst out laughing when I read her post.

My poor, sweet Jeannie was over 50 when we got together. She had never lived in a house with a dishwasher. To this day, she has never used one in any of the homes/apartments we have lived in.

First world problems, indeed. ;)

Ross

Got my booster today. My arm is aching, and I'm starting to feel lousy.

I made 1 pint quick pickled jalapeños and 1 quart dill pickles for X-mas and New years.
I tried a jalapeño several hours after being in the fridge. WOW! Those jalapeños are as hot as hell fire! I felt the burn for quite a while afterwards.

We were surprised that we also had a booster shot reaction. Fortunately it was only for a day.

Hopefully you are fine today. :)

Ross

Kgirl, get those dishes out! Perfect job for your Mom.

Believe me, I think way before 2 weeks of paper plates is over you will both be happy to do dishes. (actually all 3 of you)

Paper plates to my mind are...yech! Yes, they are great for - occasional meals of over 10 people and emergencies only.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

We used paper plates last night for dinner, but I just made sandwiches and fries, so...

As to washing dishes by hand, I'm no stranger.
I broke out my dishpan, Platex gloves, turned up the heat
on the water heater for real hot water (turned back down though after, `cuz I don't Mom getting scolded :ohmy:) and went to work on this morning's dishes, pronto! (Denver Omelet, Costco Croissant, diced Tomatoes, Cantaloupe and juice)

DH and I used insulated paper coffee cups this morning and plastic SOLO party cups that I had leftover from something ... but we'll skittle through this.

And then to Mom helping out with the wash up ...

NOPE!!

Her hand strength is so poor, all of my dishes would be broken even before they got clean ;)

NAH, DH is helping out like a trooper!
We didn't have a dishwasher until 2007, and then for that 6+ months that we were renting while this house was being built ... so it's just become a luxury that we've grown accustom to ...

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

We used paper plates last night for dinner, but I just made sandwiches and fries, so...

As to washing dishes by hand, I'm no stranger.
I broke out my dishpan, Platex gloves, turned up the heat
on the water heater for real hot water (turned back down though after, `cuz I don't Mom getting scolded :ohmy:) and went to work on this morning's dishes, pronto! (Denver Omelet, Costco Croissant, diced Tomatoes, Cantaloupe and juice)

DH and I used insulated paper coffee cups this morning and plastic SOLO party cups that I had leftover from something ... but we'll skittle through this.

And then to Mom helping out with the wash up ...

NOPE!!

Her hand strength is so poor, all of my dishes would be broken even before they got clean ;)

NAH, DH is helping out like a trooper!
We didn't have a dishwasher until 2007, and then for that 6+ months that we were renting while this house was being built ... so it's just become a luxury that we've grown accustom to ...

I was 38 years old when I got my first dishwasher and don't want to think about having mine break down. For decades I said a little thank you prayer for each load of dishes I did not have to wash by hand! I run my dishwasher 1, 2, or three times a day. I clearly remember hand washing milking equipment. Not my idea of a good time. Maybe I'll buy a new dishwasher to have one on hand when mine stops working!

Back
Top Bottom