What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry to hear that, K'girl. I would be careful about comparing Omicron to the flu because doctors don't know yet know whether people with Omicron are susceptible to developing long covid. It can be a vascular illness as much as a respiratory disease.

I just saw a short video by a doctor talking about Omicron, which does seem to be milder on average, but it is very strongly contagious. She was pointing out that we should be trying hard not to catch it. One person may have a mild reaction, but that probably isn't true for all the people who are likely to catch it from them.

Oh, dear, K-Girl and now Simon too! I'm sending up big prayers! And now is time to reinforce the hand washing routine. Personally, I would add face washing to it too.

Well K-Girl, it's been a week since you told us about the Covid situation in your house. How is DH doing? Did your mom go somewhere else to avoid germs? And how are YOU doing? Let us know, okay?

I just checked Kgirl's stats on her profile. That post telling us about her DH is the most recent post she has made. I sure hope she's okay.

While not feeling 100%, I got the urge for Char Siu Pork.

Went to Aldi for a pork butt roast and on to the Asian World Market for Char Siu sauce ingredients.

I used to make the sauce from scratch but, lost my recipe a couple of years back so now I make it adding things to Lee Kum Kee sauce.

Also picked up a few Asian things I've been meaning to replenish, including sesame wafers, Shao Hsing rice cooking wine, Marukan rice vineger, roasted sesame seeds and other goodies which caught my eye.

Ross

Just got back from an overnight trip to THE Big City with one of my Gal Pals.

IMG_1306.jpg

Sooo exciting ...

IMG_1307.jpg

... a real "Bucket List" event

IMG_1308.jpg

And it was sold out!
Andrea gave FOUR encores! We didn't leave the venue until 11pm and then stayed up talking about it until 1am ... I'm tired :LOL:

I did a lot outside yesterday, but it was raining most of the day today, so I stayed inside to do some things upstairs. I am emptying one (maybe more) 18 gal tubs of cookbooks, putting them in a large bench/blanket box I built for a friend, years ago, and got it back from him when he moved. It had little in it, and I wanted one of those tubs in particular, as it is the same thing I made SIPs with, several years ago. And it was one of those ligh bulb moments, when I was next to that bench in the computer room, and remembered that it was almost empty! Not anymore! I am making an inventory of all the books that are going into it - I got the inventory "bug" when in the basement recently! Takes time, but saves sooooooo much in the future.

I got 73 books in that blanket box - the 18 gal tub, plus about the same amount in the closet and other shelves. Here is a photo of it, plus the lists I made of every book that went in.
73 cook books (and a few garden books) loaded in the blanket box. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Blanket box from the front. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

First inventory page of the cookbooks. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Second inventory page for cookbooks. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Third inventory page for cookbooks. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This is only about 1/3 of the "excess" books, that I have upstairs, and wouldn't fit in my two bookcases downstairs.

Last edited:
I just finished a grocery list, including all the brand names, sizes, and substitutions. I plan on phoning in the grocery order tomorrow morning. I have happily been getting groceries from the same store for several years and placing my orders online. But, the chain that the store belongs to has upgraded their delivery service. It now comes form a centralized warehouse and is filled by robots. The new website doesn't have a place to put comments about what I would like as a substitution, if they don't have what I want in stock. The old website had a place next to each item, where I could put a comment. The store would call me if they didn't have the item or the format I wanted and we would figure out what I wanted instead, if anything. I'm pretty darned sure that the people at the warehouse aren't going to call me. Also, when I search for wine, it says, "coming soon" and shows me de-alcoholized wines and wine vinegar, etc.

Well taxy, here in Ontario, masks are no longer required (except for medical facilities).

Which leads me to think perhaps a lot of the call-in (grocers) can now save a bundle by putting those extra workers needed to other jobs or just plain let them go.

One of the large grocers I go to has Car pick-up. I see many employees going around filling baskets, and still, line-ups at the cash.

Automating the call-ins is just the next step?

We are having our ketchup we made (again). This time we made 24 pints, canned. We made it with tomato paste. We used to make it with overages of tomatoes from the gardens in the fall. We make it low sugar and low salt, to our taste.

I made a potato, sweet potato, onion, red bell pepper hash for lunch, it is excellent with the ketchup.

Back
Top Bottom