"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #16391
Proud American

PF, this is fun too! It's helped me with history and English and other things:

Quizzes at Fun Trivia -- 90,000 Quizzes Online

There's so very many quizzes on everything! It's free to sign in and there's no spam stuff.

With love,
~Cat

Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 AM   #16392
Certified Cake Maniac

I'm having another coughing fit so got up as I don't want to wake TB up. It isn't a cold, I just get these attacks every night.

I just got caught up on this thread. Your Ogreness, I am glad to hear you are on the me and. I agree, let Shrek help.

the kitty is wanting me to put my chair back and get the blanket so we can cuddle so I will close now.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:30 AM   #16393
Master Chef

Sunday morning 9:30 here..
We are both lying on the Sofa and surf the net.
Tomorrow Frank will leave for Italia to work there, so we will enjoy our last day together.

Thinking about breakfast...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #16394
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh, PF, I'm so happy you're home and I don't have to worry. I'm sure Shrek won't let you overdo!

I'm cooking again today. Collard greens are simmering (and simmering). I think they are finally starting to get tender.

Yesterday was busy. I made:

Oyster stew
Turkey neck stuffing
Pickled cucumbers with rice wine vinegar (really tasty)
Collard greens started

I doesn't sound like so much, but the prep work and dishes kept me busy all day.

Today it's:

Yellow squash with onions in garlic butter
Pimento cheese spread
Portabella slices in garlic butter
Baby bella slices sauted in garlic butter for the freezer

Then, I think I'm done cooking for awhile. There's still some shifting between fridge and freezer.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #16395
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like everyone has turned the corner and is on the mend.

Yesterday I made two loaves of English Muffin bread. The recipe I used called for to place the shredded Cheddar cheese on top of the dough. I didn't have any Cheddar, just grated Romano Pecorino cheese. But I didn't want it on top, so I just mixed it in with the dry ingredients. It is delicious! Not your typical English Muffing flavor. The Pirate sliced and toasted two pieces last night and you could smell the cheese as it warmed up.

Today I am going to be making a nice pot of beef stew with barley. We will be eating it while watching the new season of Downton Abby. And first thing tomorrow morning, I will be heading out the door at seven o'clock to go grocery shopping. A late start this month due to the weather and holiday.

The Pirate thought he would do a run in and out yesterday to pick up a few things. I am still laughing. First he had to circle just to find a parking space. Forty checkout registers, and every one of them had lines going down the aisles. Even the express. This store is the largest of this chain and it is crowded all the time. You have to get there first thing as soon as the doors open. Then around nine o'clock, they start coming in droves. Never shop there the day before a holiday, or at four thirty in the afternoon.

Other than making the stew, it is going to be a "do nothing" day.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #16396
Executive Chef

I feel a little better today. This has been going on for 2 weeks. Feel good, feel terrible. Back and forth. I got concerned yesterday because that was the first day I showed a fever. I started out coughing up a really ugly color, but now it is clear. That's a good sign, but the fever concerned me. I am going to buy a new thermometer today as I don't like the one I have.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #16397
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I feel a little better today. This has been going on for 2 weeks. Feel good, feel terrible. Back and forth. I got concerned yesterday because that was the first day I showed a fever. I started out coughing up a really ugly color, but now it is clear. That's a good sign, but the fever concerned me. I am going to buy a new thermometer today as I don't like the one I have.

Winthrop has me checking my phlegm all the time. It is one of the questions they ask me all the time. With COPD I need to keep an eye on it. I always have a Kleenix with me and when I cough up any phlegm, I do so into the Kleenix and immediately check it. I know to those not family, it looks like a nasty thing to do. But I am more concerned with my health than their feelings.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #16398
Executive Chef

PF, I agree with taking your own Tylenol to the hospital. Sometimes that works fine for me and I don't need those prescription pain meds.

The hospital always puts me on a salt free diet. I take my own salt. I don't use much salt, but I cannot eat eggs without salt, so I am only getting maybe 15 grains of salt per day. I don't use it on anything else.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #16399
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Winthrop has me checking my phlegm all the time. It is one of the questions they ask me all the time. With COPD I need to keep an eye on it. I always have a Kleenix with me and when I cough up any phlegm, I do so into the Kleenix and immediately check it. I know to those not family, it looks like a nasty thing to do. But I am more concerned with my health than their feelings.

I check mine all the time, too, Addie. I don't have COPD but it is a question I am always asked, because I have a chronic cough. I can tell the difference between my chronic cough and a cough when I have a cold. Most people just think that if I'm coughing, I must be contageous. I can really clear a room!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #16400
Executive Chef

I could not get Shorpy dot com. Bummer