"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #16421
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
I am sitting in the dark on the front porch in Key West. The smell of frangipani and night-blooming jasmine is intoxicating. I can hear jazz from the club around the corner but can also hear crickets, the neighborhood cats keep coming to visit me and the breeze is just strong enough to hear the palm fronds rattling. It's an amazing evening.
I am soooo jealous!!! I wish so much to be there instead of freezing my keister off here in South Dakota!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #16422
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
PF, I agree with taking your own Tylenol to the hospital. Sometimes that works fine for me and I don't need those prescription pain meds.

The hospital always puts me on a salt free diet. I take my own salt. I don't use much salt, but I cannot eat eggs without salt, so I am only getting maybe 15 grains of salt per day. I don't use it on anything else.
I do the same thing. And I take it also to Winthrop with me if I am going to be eating lunch there. I also bring my own supply of sugar. Decaffeinated coffee with artificial sweetener just doesn't cut it for me.

I made a beef stew today. For the salt, all I used was what the Better Than Bullion provided. I am sure a lot of folks would have said it needed salt, but not for me.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #16423
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Hi, Hi!! I am home. Had a nap and feel pretty good. It was nice to nap in my bed!
I agree. I spent the last two weeks sleeping on an air mattress at our daughter's. Technically, it was two mattresses. She had borrowed a second one from a coworker and she stacked them. This made it a bit more like a bed so that I wasn't so close to the floor when I had to get up. Worked good enough, but I was overjoyed to see my little futon when we got in this morning. The air mattresses sure let you sink down into them - that is, if you don't have it so inflated as to bounce off if you sneeze! Someone might think my futon mattress is one step softer than a prison cot but it works for my back and prevents leg cramps.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #16424
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Packing to return to minus a million degrees F/C below zero. Weeping copious tears. The drag marks on the tarmack will be mine.
Hope you weren't crying when you got off the plane. Wouldn't want your face to freeze like that, would you?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 AM   #16425
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...And I ran into a buddy and got the local weather report, lol.
Turns out the city we are associated with by proximity, Erie, is leading the nation in cities with the most snowfall this winter. And of course my town gets more snow than Erie's airport, where they measure at. We're beating cities in Alaska even.
Interesting. I thought we had a lot. Over 6 ft so far.
And it's only January 6th.

Looks like you're in the Chardon of northwestern PA! Cleveland averages about 62 inches of snow a year. Where we used to live gets about 40% more - around 85 inches. Then there is Chardon, way east of Cleveland, that regularly gets double measure of Cleveland snow. No thanks!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #16426
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Going to bed for the fourth time today. I hope to sleep longer than 5 hours tonight. Heck, it might take me the whole month to get my sleep schedule back on track.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #16427
Master Chef

Just finished up a bag of Stacy's cinnamon-sugar pita chips. Problem was, it was 4x1 serving size left in the bag.

Going to spend the next hour dozing through Castle with my kitty snuggled on my lap. If she's willing to leave Himself, that is! Then off to bed. I hope.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #16428
Proud American

I've still been sleeping but not so much now. I will lose Papa in six hours when he boards his flight. I spent all day with him and I'm just not ready to let him go.

I am in a very unhappy mood right now, but I do hope all of you are happy and getting better. I haven't forgotten any of you. Please forgive me.

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 AM   #16429
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

Packing? I didn't even know you went anywhere
I must have missed when you were packing the first time.
Sheesh! You guys didn't even notice I was gone!

Strangely enough, Mexico has internet and I could lurk...
Old 01-06-2014, 02:46 AM   #16430
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Hope you weren't crying when you got off the plane. Wouldn't want your face to freeze like that, would you?
Naw, just the drag marks froze. Dang, it's cold! Bless the jeep, it protested a bit, but it started, and got us home! Get to pick up Beagle from the boarder tomorrow!