"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #16491
Senior Cook

Gonna cook soup from a bunch of stuff I have in the fridge that needs to be used.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #16492
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Cat, you have certainly taken on a big task. Just keep your sensible head on and remember the cost. I know you want Papa to have the best. But "more" is not always the best. My second husband was a commercial fisherman. So I know what your are undertaking. Good luck and do keep us informed of how it is all going and what length you decide on. BTW, how many men in the crew?
I just found a Russian website with demilitarized ships for sale but they are Russian. Uck! We would be better off salvaging the Andrea Doria.

Catina now:

Deck crew: 16 (rotation of 8 / 12 on, 12 off during peak tide)
Medical: 3
Galley/Laundry/Support: 4
Engineers/Drivers: 3 (1 is Papa)

Right now there are 26, but at one time was 28 but 2 retired last season and he won't hire another 2 until the 2015 season since there will be no 2014 season.

I'll need a budget from Papa, and we'll have to break it all down into costs per pieces. He'll need new electronics, GPS, everything in the boat from the galley down to the wiring, etc., excepting the engines. There will be contractors, permits, dry dock fees for both, inspections and all of this other stuff.

It is why I thought to find a keel and hull for sale rather than to build one. I see some of these but the superstructures will have to be taken out and refitted with the fishing deck and wheelhouse. We need to balance the quality with the costs, because Papa did say he wanted this one to last as long as this Catina did.

Now all this, college, and DA. We have one year to produce a miracle.

I think I liked being a little girl better sometimes!

With love,
~Cat

Old 01-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #16493
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Yes! He's right around my neck just as his arms were in a hug.

How are you feeling, Laurie?

With love,
~Cat
Yes, Cat, yesterday and today have been very good days health wise. My gallbladder pain is low, chronic pain is managed and my cold is almost gone! Feels good to do things and not get fatigued in five minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
busy day...may have to come home for a nap in between store runs.
You take care of yourself your Ogreness, you may be royalty, but you are still human and need time to heal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm watching Downton Abbey on Amazon Prime. Or at least I was... Yesterday the CC was working and today it's not.
Trying to understand what some of them are saying is like trying to get through one of Harry's posts
We are only getting repeats of seasons 1-3 again

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #16494
Chef Extraordinaire

The Pirate was feeling well enough to go home for clean clothing. But what he left behind is cause for me to kill him when he comes back tomorrow. My kitchen is a disaster area. Sugar granules all over my counter. Spilled beef stew all over the stove. The micro looks like an explosion happened inside. Fortunately I use paper plates and bowls, so there weren't many dishes.

Now for his clothes. They are all over the place. And he left a stupid skate board here. What the heck that is for is beyond me. I am finding empty cigarette boxes all over the place. There are five waste baskets in this apartment. They are in plain site and two are within throwing distance for him when he is sitting in his chair. And on and on. I have never seen him leave a mess before. He is the one who comes in here and starts to clean all the things I have problems with. Now he is the problem. I know. He had the flu. But I refuse to accept that as an excuse. Right now the urge to kill is very strong. Hopefully, I will be calm when he shows up tomorrow. In the meantime, back to cleaning up after him.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #16495
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I know. He had the flu. But I refuse to accept that as an excuse. Right now the urge to kill is very strong.
I'm really glad DH is more patient with me when I'm not feeling well - which is frequently. Flu is exhausting.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #16496
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I just found a Russian website with demilitarized ships for sale but they are Russian. Uck! We would be better off salvaging the Andrea Doria.

Catina now:

Deck crew: 16 (rotation of 8 / 12 on, 12 off during peak tide)
Medical: 3
Galley/Laundry/Support: 4
Engineers/Drivers: 3 (1 is Papa)

Right now there are 26, but at one time was 28 but 2 retired last season and he won't hire another 2 until the 2015 season since there will be no 2014 season.

I'll need a budget from Papa, and we'll have to break it all down into costs per pieces. He'll need new electronics, GPS, everything in the boat from the galley down to the wiring, etc., excepting the engines. There will be contractors, permits, dry dock fees for both, inspections and all of this other stuff.

It is why I thought to find a keel and hull for sale rather than to build one. I see some of these but the superstructures will have to be taken out and refitted with the fishing deck and wheelhouse. We need to balance the quality with the costs, because Papa did say he wanted this one to last as long as this Catina did.

Now all this, college, and DA. We have one year to produce a miracle.

I think I liked being a little girl better sometimes!

With love,
~Cat
That is quite a large crew. My husband usually sailed on the three member crew or a 12 member crew. Never anything larger. He served as engineer/deckhand.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #16497
Proud American

Quote:
The Pirate was feeling well enough to go home for clean clothing. But what he left behind is cause for me to kill him when he comes back tomorrow. My kitchen is a disaster area. Sugar granules all over my counter. Spilled beef stew all over the stove. The micro looks like an explosion happened inside. Fortunately I use paper plates and bowls, so there weren't many dishes.

Now for his clothes. They are all over the place. And he left a stupid skate board here. What the heck that is for is beyond me. I am finding empty cigarette boxes all over the place. There are five waste baskets in this apartment. They are in plain site and two are within throwing distance for him when he is sitting in his chair. And on and on. I have never seen him leave a mess before. He is the one who comes in here and starts to clean all the things I have problems with. Now he is the problem. I know. He had the flu. But I refuse to accept that as an excuse. Right now the urge to kill is very strong. Hopefully, I will be calm when he shows up tomorrow. In the meantime, back to cleaning up after him.
As I'm in a maritime mindset, I think if he did that in my lair, I'd be making a Pirate walk the plank! I hope you fuss at him!

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #16498
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
As I'm in a maritime mindset, I think if he did that in my lair, I'd be making a Pirate walk the plank! I hope you fuss at him!

With love,
~Cat
Oh he will hear from me good! I am surprised that he left such a mess. And here I was feeling bad for him because he was feeling so sick and worried about getting to work. He still has the flu. But I would rather wait on him hand and foot, than have to pick up after him when he tries to do everything himself. He thinks he is saving me work when he tried to do it himself.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #16499
Proud American

Quote:
That is quite a large crew. My husband usually sailed on the three member crew or a 12 member crew. Never anything larger. He served as engineer/deckhand.
She's a large vessel for a Black Sea fishing vessel, but she was converted to her status as a commercial fishing vessel in 1948. She was a luxury yacht, if you can believe that! She was beautiful inside!

I've seen all her records from when she was built in 1929. She's 203.9 feet long with a beam of 27.3 feet which made her very sleek and fast in her day as a luxury sailing yacht. Her hull was gutted for sleeping quarters, galley, support and medical cabin and the holds. She can hold up to 325,000 pounds of product in a series of 4 recirculating holding compartments without yawing although anything over that makes her become difficult to handle in rough seas. She's certified for up to around 400,000 pounds but Papa won't go near that with her.

Most Black Sea fishing vessels are the size of which you speak. Catina looks like a woolly mammoth in the middle of rabbits next to them. From our upstairs balcony in Constanta, we can see her very well in the harbor amongst them.

Papa is licensed for up to around a 300-foot boat, I think. Anything larger than that is too expensive for to be cost effective.

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #16500
Senior Cook

Well...I made a wonderful cream of vegetable soup...as I mentioned before...I sorta take care of an elderly French lady down the street. Her son is there (he's a vegetarian) so I cooked some with the chicken, and some without.....Not too spicy for her tastes....and I made homemade biscuits to go with it. I should get full karma points. :)