What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dragn, is it space (storage) that is an issue? If that is NOT it, I would be tempted to box them with a picture on the outside and mark them for the first grandchild that claims them. I'm betting there will be one that will cherish having them.

You have gold..

Sorry, but no. Ebay charges fees, as well as PayPal, plus costs for boxes, bubble wrap, your time. Plus, if you sell piecemeal on EBay, what do you do with what nobody wants? And, there will be leftover pieces.

Those replacement company places charge an arm and a leg for people who want pieces. BUT, if you want to sell it all at once or even piecemeal to those replacement companies they don't pay squat. They pay you NOTHING close to what they charge! Not only that, you have to pay entire cost of shipping and insurance, wait for them to get and inspect, and then they choose whether to buy from you or not. If not and you want dishes back, guess what you have to pay for again?

Want to know how I know? I have a filled to the brim china cabinet of full place settings for 8, plus a few extra pieces, etc., and a full service set of my mother's china. It's white with platinum webbing trim around the edges. The vast majority of it is in brand new condition. There are 3 pieces that have chips, 1 of which is a dinner plate that I have 10 of.

DD doesn't want it. DGDs don't want it. I very, very, very rarely use it and really don't want it. So I looked at a couple of dish sites. It would probably cost me more to ship than they would pay me, but they'd make a fortune as the pieces sold. 8 dinner plates sold would equal what they want to potentially pay me for place settings for 8 including 3 different size plates, 2 different size bowls, coffee cups with saucers, and a full service set...

Maybe I'll wait until DGDs move out on their own and find out how much dishes cost and see if they want them then. At least they'd go to the girls even if they were used for every day dishes.

Last edited:
Sorry, but no. Ebay charges fees, as well as PayPal, plus costs for boxes, bubble wrap, your time. Plus, if you sell piecemeal on EBay, what do you do with what nobody wants? And, there will be leftover pieces.

Those replacement company places charge an arm and a leg for people who want pieces. BUT, if you want to sell it all at once or even piecemeal to those replacement companies they don't pay squat. They pay you NOTHING close to what they charge! Not only that, you have to pay entire cost of shipping and insurance, wait for them to get and inspect, and then they choose whether to buy from you or not. If not and you want dishes back, guess what you have to pay for again?

Want to know how I know? I have a filled to the brim china cabinet of full place settings for 8, plus a few extra pieces, etc., and a full service set of my mother's china. It's white with platinum webbing trim around the edges. The vast majority of it is in brand new condition. There are 3 pieces that have chips, 1 of which is a dinner plate that I have 10 of.

DD doesn't want it. DGDs don't want it. I very, very, very rarely use it and really don't want it. So I looked at a couple of dish sites. It would probably cost me more to ship than they would pay me, but they'd make a fortune as the pieces sold. 8 dinner plates sold would equal what they want to potentially pay me for place settings for 8 including 3 different size plates, 2 different size bowls, coffee cups with saucers, and a full service set...

Maybe I'll wait until DGDs move out on their own and find out how much dishes cost and see if they want them then. At least they'd go to the girls even if they were used for every day dishes.
Thank you correcting me on that. Good info to know.

Busy days yesterday and today. I thoroughly cleaned the dinette side of the kitchen, washing the chars and table legs with Murphy's oil soap, moving the chairs into the adjacent family room, and dusting the walls. Got the floor all clean, too, after moving the table and break front hutch around. Not sure I like where the hutch is, but I'll live with it for now. Had to move the chairs back because I need a clear path through the family room. I have "people" coming shortly after noon tomorrow to take away the sleeper sofa and an old recliner.

Thanks for the reminder CG. I have to get rid of a sleeper sofa too. I've been meaning to check on the city website how to do that. They used to have some rigmarole with phoning them and getting a time period when they would come get it. Now, apparently, it's just put it at the curb with the regular garbage pickup. I'm not looking forward to moving that to the curb. The curb is about 50 metres from my front door and there are a few steps. Well, at least we put castors on it a decade or two ago.

Not what I'm doing now, but what I spent several hours dealing with yesterday. When I got up, I had been signed out of Gmail due to "unusual activity" in my account. It said I had to run anti-virus software before trying to recover my account, which I did. No problems detected. Was it the FireFox update downloading, who knows? But, it wanted two factor verification and that was a pain in the a_se. I don't have key device for that. They sent something to my phone which looked highly suspicious. It was absolutely not clear that this was actually from Google. Eventually, I remembered that I have recovery codes, found them, and used one. But, all the instructions they gave me took forever. Anyhoo, I eventually got it back and changed my password. They pointed out that if my account was hacked, that my passwords at anywhere that uses my gmail address could be compromised and I should check those and change the passwords. They also mentioned places where I use my Google account to sign in. It sounded like that was a worse nuisance, but I don't use my Google account to sign in anywhere. It never did sound like a good idea - convenient yes, but not a great idea. Don't you just love technology?

Went to the storage to look for more train stuff. Took my son as I can lift the boxes and carry them - no problem. But... can't lift them up past my elbow height to put them back.
Found my cake decorating stuff! well, not that I do much of that anymore but at least it's to hand should I want.

I have 5 or 6 (maybe even more) boxes of my Denby Stoneware Dinner Set. None of my kids want. Heartbreaking - only people interested are out west and shipping costs for heavy stoneware is obviously out of the question.
Will have to give it to (equivalent of ) Good Will or some such thing. :(
I would pull out a few pieces and enjoy them.

Maybe a teapot, creamer, sugar, and a couple of trios to remind you of a different chapter in your life. Even a single serving bowl or platter to hold fruit on the kitchen counter.

I’ve managed to do that with some of my collections as I scale back my stuff.

I just might do that Aunt Bea. There are 2 sizes of creamers that I would probably use. LOL - I don't have a kitchen counter. Only a leather topped card table (protected with heavy plastic) and it gets pretty crowded while I cook.
Those creamers would work as 'mis en place' for milk/cream - stock, thereby giving me a reasonable excuse to keep them. LOL
Next problem would be to figure out which box they are in.

taxy, your problems with Google reminded me, my ex was locked out as they thought he was a hacker - sending multiple emails at once. LOL - I think he only uses his computer to receive and pass on jokes.... groan... and I'm on his list.

Up early as usual!

I’ve been prepping for the week.

A sheet pan of roasted cauliflower and another of bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms.

I also steamed a pound of asparagus and simmered the tough stems with the cauliflower core/trimmings and some onion to use in a puréed soup.

Now it’s just mix and match with some pasta, beans, rice, or flour tortillas for a week of easy meals. 🐷🐷🐷

Last edited:
Aunt Bea, you are so organized! I usually plan a meal the night before so if I have to pull something from the freezer, I can leave it in the refrigerator overnight. That's about the extent of my organization. I admire you, but can't emulate you!
I picked the last of the lettuces for a salad tonight, did a couple of loads of laundry, and generally had a boring day.

I have never heard of "corn bread crackers". What company makes them?
Your own might be even better.

Ingredients​

• 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • ¾ cup white flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 5 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons butter cold, cut into cubes
  • ¼ cup buttermilk

Instructions​

• Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Pulse a handful of times to combine.
  • Lay cubed butter on top of the dry mixture. Pulse again until mixture resembles a coarse (thick) meal.
  • With the food processor running, add buttermilk and process until a ball of dough forms.
  • Cut 4-12″ wide pieces of wax paper.
  • Remove one-half of dough to a sheet of wax paper. Top with second sheet. Roll until about ¼″ thick (a more rectangular shape is helpful). Repeat with second half of dough. Place rolled dough in freezer for 15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile preheat oven to 375° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
  • Remove one of the two rolled-out pieces of dough. Roll out again to ensure even thickness.
  • Remove top piece of wax paper and cut into roughly 1 ½″ squares, saving ‘scraps’ to roll out again. Carefully place squares on baking sheet. Bake 15-17 minutes until edges are just starting to brown. Repeat with remaining dough.
  • Cool crackers completely. Store in airtight container.

We had our crazy reduced produce grocery shopping this morning.
5 bunches of greens, 3 large bags of oranges, 4 large bags of tomatoes, 5 large bags of apples, 1 bag of peppers and avocados. It would have been a shame not to take advantage of these 99 cent bags, each 3-5 lbs per bag.
So, with that blessing comes the taking care of them.
I washed and steamed the greens.
Put the avocado flesh in pint containers to freeze to use as a spread.
Chopped green peppers into a bag to freeze.
Blended the tomatoes then cooked down to make 3 qts of thick tomato mushroom sauce for pasta, into the freezer.
Made applesauce (no sugar) from the yellow and green apples.
Used the peeler/corer/slicer for apples to fill 9 dehydrator trays for apple chips when they are dry.
Used the scrap from apples to start some AC vinegar.
We'll just eat all those oranges.
I'm very thankful. If the apples are dry and crisp tomorrow, then we'll prep another batch of apple slices and use the scrap for more AC vinegar, until we get down to 1 bag of apples.

Blissful, what a haul! If you find you are "over blessed" with AC vinegar, you can always make apple jelly with the peels and cores.
I spent some time in the garden, tying tomatoes to their trellis. I had help (?) from Timi the cat. She thinks the ties are cat toys. Well, they are until I use them, and she is not happy about having her toys appropriated for other uses than her entertainment.

I have heard of using apple peels to make your own pectin, for use in jam and jelly making of low pectin fruit or when you don't want to spend as long cooking down the fruit into jam.

Getting everything organized, planned out for our vacation getaway into the garage. Yes you read that right. My house needs to be tented off for a few days.
I couldn't reserve rooms they are all booked. So I asked the inspector if staying in the garage would be safe. He looked, measured and said why not? You and your pets would be completely safe.
Went on Amazon to buy a plastic outdoor sink That folds up to have a washing area. Because I live in Kalifornia...They can't ship it. Really? It's just an outdoor washing table that people have in their gardens hooked up to a hose for washing the veggies and such for canning. Unbelievable.
But I did buy everything else that might be needed. The commode!! ;)
So today it's organizing and setting up kitchen and sleeping areas. So glad I kept that huge fridge.

Getting everything organized, planned out for our vacation getaway into the garage. Yes you read that right. My house needs to be tented off for a few days.
I couldn't reserve rooms they are all booked. So I asked the inspector if staying in the garage would be safe. He looked, measured and said why not? You and your pets would be completely safe.
Went on Amazon to buy a plastic outdoor sink That folds up to have a washing area. Because I live in Kalifornia...They can't ship it. Really? It's just an outdoor washing table that people have in their gardens hooked up to a hose for washing the veggies and such for canning. Unbelievable.
But I did buy everything else that might be needed. The commode!! ;)
So today it's organizing and setting up kitchen and sleeping areas. So glad I kept that huge fridge.
Keep us posted on your adventure and please let us know if you find the cream puff recipe! 🤭

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade! 🍋🍋🍋

Back
Top Bottom