What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I roast a chicken or turkey whole in the way, I start it breast side down and cook it that way for a little over half the time, then flip to crisp and brown the breast meat.

Otherwise, I spatchcock since it cooks more evenly and more quickly. The only downside to that is you don't get stuffing, but I figured out a hack for that as well. Spread the stuffing/dressing mix out more or less in the shape of the bird on the sheet pan. It will soak up the juices just like stuffing in the bird would.

Since a turkey will take longer to roast that means the stuffing/dressing mix may get too brown around the edges so either spread it out enough that edges can be cut off or start the turkey on 1 sheet pan for about half the time, then transfer over to the pan, drizzling juices over top of turkey after transfer, with the stuffing/dressing and finish cooking.

If you don't have a sheet pan big enough to hold a whole spatchcocked turkey, spatchcock it, then cut in half down the breast bone. Works fine.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying a lazy Sunday morning (now afternoon). Not much planned for today. I'll run to the grocery store later. I saw chicken breast on sale for $1.99 lb.

Think I'll pick some lettuce from the garden and make big salads for dinner with fresh homegrown tomatoes, store-bought cucumber, radish, carrots and topped with chicken, bacon, and feta cheese. Maybe I'll made a balsamic vinaigrette.

You can always make pesto and freeze it in ice cube trays. I do that and then in the winter, throw them into soups, stews and sauces.
I do that every year. Darned pine nuts are so expensive (over $30 a lb) I've been subbing macadamia nuts. Do you ever use other types of nuts in your pesto?

Theoretically, the flipping should make a juicier bird. While the bird is on its side, the juice is being urged by gravity to pass through the breast to the other side. Then, when it's flipped on the other side, the juice travels back. I don't see that happening with a beer can chicken. But, does it make a noticeable difference? I don't know. As I wrote, "theoretically".

I don't bother roasting a whole chicken in that way now. If I do roast a chicken, it will be spatchcocked and that's just easier for me.
I've actually never spatchcocked a chicken before!

I use homemade stock for moisture too, but some like stuffing, i.e. cooked in the bird, because of the drippings as the bird cooks. It's not stuffing if it's not  stuffed in the bird, it's dressing.
If it's OK with you, I'm going to continue to call it stuffing. After all, there are no dresses involved.

I do that every year. Darned pine nuts are so expensive (over $30 a lb) I've been subbing macadamia nuts. Do you ever use other types of nuts in your pesto?
Pine nuts are expensive here too, so I haven't used them in years. I use walnuts or whatever kind of nut is handy. I'm even going to try pumpkin seeds. I have read that they work well in pesto, and then it is safe to eat for the people with nut allergies.

Last edited:
You can omit the nuts and make a pistou!

Here is one example.

Use what you have, spinach or parsley in place of basil, tomato product or no tomato product, cheese or no cheese.

I like chicken roasted with sage and onion stuffing. We get them prestuffed here. If I have time I make my own from stuff here.
I have a butterfly chicken in freezer for later this week.

Russ

Pine nuts are about that much here, too. I started using cashews several years ago in pesto. They have a similar buttery flavor and smooth texture.

Cashews are also not nuts! I didn't know this till recently. They're actually the seeds of the cashew tree, which has these fruits.

cashews on the tree.jpg

Pine nuts are about that much here, too. I started using cashews several years ago in pesto. They have a similar buttery flavor and smooth texture.

Cashews are also not nuts! I didn't know this till recently. They're actually the seeds of the cashew tree, which has these fruits.

View attachment 65617
Yeah, I have tried cashews a few times too. I read other people using pistachios.

Yeah I knew that, as well as that peanuts are legumes, and almonds are drupes (seeds), and so forth. I was a rep for a nutritional company for awhile and I would sometimes do product demos at health food store where I had to be careful not to serve certain nut milks and such. Regular dairy of course was out of the question, and some people avoid soy, etc. Oat milk is usually safe for most people.

At any rate, I do NOT have any nut allergies and I love cashews by themselves, so great alternative indeed. About 1/4 the price of pine nuts. I remember when they were $24 lb and I thought that was too high then!

I'm getting us ready for our wedding anniversary (which is today btw) trip.
So excited, we haven't been on vacation since 2019!
We're going to to the Grand Canyon North Rim for two nights.
We have reservations for one of their Motel Rooms and dinner in the Lodge, so excited! I've requested a table nearest to the window, so that we can have a lovely view and hopefully get to watch the sunset in the Canyon.
The North Rim has been on my "bucket list" for many years and we've tried to get there for years but somehow life kept getting in the way.
Today, we're taking my Mother out to linner (late lunch/early dinner) at this fabulous Italian place, so excited about this too! Now that I'm finally able to eat again, granted in smaller quantities, this place has a terrific menu! And I'll be ordering a split of some sort of sparkling wine to go along with, YUM!!

Back
Top Bottom