What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Toasting ponecones! 🤭

It was very windy overnight and brought down a large crop of pine ones.

When I went out for my walk this morning I picked up a bag to use with a brass candy kettle and an old red bow for Christmas.

They are roasting now in a 225f oven to dry them and kill any critters. It takes about 20-30 minutes. I leave them in the oven to cool and then spread them on a sheet of newspaper for a day or two.

If you try this don’t use a valuable cookie sheet because it will be spotted with pine tar and will take some scrubbing.

hmmm. never heard of toasting pine cones - at least that I remember. What - which part do you eat, or don't you - are they to eat or decorate?

hmmm. never heard of toasting pine cones - at least that I remember. What - which part do you eat, or don't you - are they to eat or decorate?
I wish that they were pinyon cones but they are just decorative.

1696978416749.jpeg

I just did a bit of looking up and found out a little bit about pinyon pines. I thought that you could get piñons from all pines. When I was growing up, we often spent a good part of the summer at Big Bear, Calif. We always rented a cabin and almost always at the same place. The old lady who owned the place introduced me to piñons. She showed me where they came from. So, me and my sister started collecting pine cones. Most of the ones on the ground had already been emptied by some animal. But, once in a while we would find one with seeds or with a few seeds left. All the pine cones we found had obviously had piñons in them, even if they didn't have any by the time we found them. It had never occurred to me that they were only made by some specific types of pines. Now, I have to wonder, are the seeds of other pines edible? Do they taste bad?

I am working on making a stocking for my niece. I've never worked with felt or done applique before. It's coming along.
I made a beautiful one for my daughter when she was little. A girl sleeping in her bed dreaming of sugarplums dancing above her head with Santa standing to the side at the foot of the bed. When the eldest DGD got big enough to care about stockings, she asked if she could have it. So, I changed the hair from DD's black to DGD's sandy blonde.

The younger DGD wanted a Mickey Mouse from Disney for her so I didn't get to make her one.

I also made a felt Advent calendar with appliques, sequins and little felt toys and candies for DD. Both DGDs got to use that, taking turns to pull out that day's little figure and their little gifts. The theme was Santa's toy shop.

Last edited:
OMG, WE SIGNED THE PAPERS TODAY! o_O Our house isn't on the MLS yet. Photos haven't even been taken. But the house will show up on the agent's real estate company's internal listing as "coming soon". In today's market, just this first step sometimes finds a buyer willing to wait for the house to be listed so they can get it right away. Hopefully it lists November 2nd. I told Himself that he can have one more Halloween in this neighborhood. He loves handing out candy to over 350+ trick-or-treaters. :alien::devilish::ninja::chef::sorcerer::chris: Me not so much.

OMG, WE SIGNED THE PAPERS TODAY! o_O Our house isn't on the MLS yet. Photos haven't even been taken. But the house will show up on the agent's real estate company's internal listing as "coming soon". In today's market, just this first step sometimes finds a buyer willing to wait for the house to be listed so they can get it right away. Hopefully it lists November 2nd. I told Himself that he can have one more Halloween in this neighborhood. He loves handing out candy to over 350+ trick-or-treaters. :alien::devilish::ninja::chef::sorcerer::chris: Me not so much.
The only good thing about living on a main street with lots of traffic is we get no trick or treaters!

Congratulations 👏

Oh goody. I am so pleased for you.

graphics-snoopy-160648.gif

That's great CG! wonderfull!

I'm a little surprised at how long it takes to be actually listed! Here it is only about maybe a week. I sign, she takes pictures, within 2 days it is listed and perhaps another 2 days for the pictures to go in with it. Maximum 1 week for full listing.

But if other agents see it on your agents "new" list. That's almost as good because they will know which if their clients will be interested, and get them in asap!

Congrats....
are you packing now?

...I'm a little surprised at how long it takes to be actually listed!...
Actually, we could have been on MLS this morning if we wanted to. It's our choice to put it off. Our agent said some people are on the "coming soon" list for months and months. :ermm:

Congrats....
are you packing now?
And ^this^ is why we aren't listing yet. :LOL: I might have the house photo worthy next week, but we're working around a memorial service for a family member probably the end of next week, plus having to get to OH to find somewhere to move to. I would like to have most stuff ready to go before we list.

I am just trying to recover from today. In about an hour, I'm going to write off this day as awful and then go to bed early.

This morning when I woke up, I grabbed my glasses and there was only one ear hook on them. I couldn't repair them so I brought them into an eyeglass shop and found out the screw in the side broke in half in the place where the screw is supposed to be. Part of that screw is still in there and can't be removed, so there go those frames. I now need two new pairs of glasses as that pair was my long distance driving pair. There goes about $500 bucks.

Then I had to drive, naturally, into the next town and do two loads of laundry at the laundromat: all the sheets and pillowcases I ordered off eBay and all my blankets for winter. And naturally, I got caught in commuter traffic on the way home.

Then I stopped one of my neighbors who was walking his dog. His wife usually walks the dog so I asked if she was all right. No, she passed a couple days ago. Well, that was a shocker. She was Asian, ate healthy, walked that dog a mile almost every day and was skinny as a toothpick. She had a massive heart attack. I'm still in disbelief.

Now there's a raccoon in my trailer trying to get the bird seed and cat food.

So this has not been a good day and I am currently contemplating how to wrap it it up. If anyone has read this, thank you for listening.

"Tomorrow will be better, so they say, the trouble with my world is it's still today." From a blues song "1040 Form Blues".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom