What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am just trying to recover from today. In about an hour, I'm going to write off this day as awful and then go to bed early.

This morning when I woke up, I grabbed my glasses and there was only one ear hook on them. I couldn't repair them so I brought them into an eyeglass shop and found out the screw in the side broke in half in the place where the screw is supposed to be. Part of that screw is still in there and can't be removed, so there go those frames. I now need two new pairs of glasses as that pair was my long distance driving pair. There goes about $500 bucks.

Then I had to drive, naturally, into the next town and do two loads of laundry at the laundromat: all the sheets and pillowcases I ordered off eBay and all my blankets for winter. And naturally, I got caught in commuter traffic on the way home.

Then I stopped one of my neighbors who was walking his dog. His wife usually walks the dog so I asked if she was all right. No, she passed a couple days ago. Well, that was a shocker. She was Asian, ate healthy, walked that dog a mile almost every day and was skinny as a toothpick. She had a massive heart attack. I'm still in disbelief.

Now there's a raccoon in my trailer trying to get the bird seed and cat food.

So this has not been a good day and I am currently contemplating how to wrap it it up. If anyone has read this, thank you for listening.

"Tomorrow will be better, so they say, the trouble with my world is it's still today." From a blues song "1040 Form Blues".
Well that sucks. I hope it goes better soon. (((hugs)))

About the glasses, I know it would take too long now to get a pair online, but when you get a chance, it really would be worth it to get a spare pair from somewhere inexpensive like Zenni Optical. I have used them for years and I have been pleased with all of the glasses I got from them. A few years back, I got three pairs of bifocals with UV protection for around 200 Canadian dollars, including the shipping. Similar glasses from an optician would have cost around $500 Canadian each. The downside is that it takes about 2 weeks to get them.

Thank you, dragnlaw, taxlady, and Kathleen. Today is much better, partly because after I fed the birds this morning, I took a sleeping pill, went back to bed, and slept! I think I slept another 5 hours and felt pretty good when I woke up. Not walk-the-cat good today, but definitely good (I'll walk the cat tomorrow - she's getting a little pudgy too).

Got my new pants yesterday that I ordered online which I never do. Shouldn't have done it this time either because they're all a size too large. So sometime in the next couple of days I'm off to Target to exchange them, but that's not all bad. The only Round Table Pizza on the peninsula is right there and now that I think about it, I haven't had Round Table for a long time. I must correct that. I can stop at Safeway and get gas on the way. Multitasking.

Tonight I call my friend in Texas. He's had a heart attack and has been a shut in for a long while, so I spend once a week on the phone with him for a couple of hours. He enjoys that and it does me good, too.

"Glasses for reading" has been a game-changer in my academic journey. As a student who enjoys writing, my reading glasses have become an essential tool. They've not only made my reading experience more comfortable but have significantly improved my focus. When it comes to tackling tasks like "write my annotated bibliography for me," https://essaypro.com/annotated-bibliography-writing-service these glasses have been a lifeline. The clarity and precision they provide make the research and writing process smoother and more efficient. Plus, they come in various stylish designs, so I can keep my scholarly look while embracing this valuable accessory. Reading glasses - a must-have for every dedicated student and writer!

Last edited:
Well that sucks. I hope it goes better soon. (((hugs)))

About the glasses, I know it would take too long now to get a pair online, but when you get a chance, it really would be worth it to get a spare pair from somewhere inexpensive like Zenni Optical. I have used them for years and I have been pleased with all of the glasses I got from them. A few years back, I got three pairs of bifocals with UV protection for around 200 Canadian dollars, including the shipping. Similar glasses from an optician would have cost around $500 Canadian each. The downside is that it takes about 2 weeks to get them.
I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. I went in for my eye exam on Wednesday and it will take about 2 weeks to get those glasses as well. I decided this time to get the high index lenses and that jumped the price to almost $600. And that's with letting them (try to) bill the cost of the exam to Wellcare. I needed an exam because I noticed my left eye is far worse than my right eye. The good news is they were able to boost my prescription in my left eye a little bit. The bad news is the left eye is still worse than my right eye and this is likely the last time they can do anything about it.

Meantime, I still haven't gone to return the pants, although I did hit up Safeway and get gas a couple days ago. It's still a week till Social Security and I'm already out of garlic. I've had to buy more kleenex and paper towels, too. I don't know what's happening there.

I got something called Easy Onion at Winco's the last time I went there. It's from Spice World and comes in a squeeze bottle because it's minced. I've been using it because I use minced garlic in a jar, so I didn't see a problem with it. I don't know, though. It just doesn't feel right.

Today is going to be a day where I just hang around all day. There's a live horse show on this afternoon with my favorite announcer (I hope) and that should be fun. Especially since it's not at the ungodly early hour of 5am. I'm getting too old to get up that early.

I finally started shutting the door at night because we've been getting near freezing temps at night now and the good news is the cat has adjusted nicely. She's been used to going in and out when she wants during the night but since it's been so cold, she curls up at about 8 or 9 at night and sleeps through to 7 the next morning.

Unfortunately, I now have to go out every night and disconnect my water and reconnect it the next morning. The pain of living in a trailer.

And speaking of living in a trailer, I was hoping to buy a really nice one for $35,000 (it would be my forever trailer) if I could qualify for the loan. I found an article about companies that loan money and clicked on the link, trying to see if I could get a loan out for $40,000 (need to pay to bring that trailer up here to Washington). I qualified for...$1000 for 5 years at an interest rate of almost 29%. BUT! My payments would only be $28 a month! When I could pick myself up from the floor where I'd been rolling around laughing, I decided maybe a new trailer isn't in my near future and I'd save and get the yard done the way I originally planned.

I will say one thing. My life might be a pain in the rear most of the time but it's never boring.

Unfortunately, I now have to go out every night and disconnect my water and reconnect it the next morning. The pain of living in a trailer.
Have you considered a heated hose...or just wrapping your current hose with heated tape? I know that Camping World and other places...maybe Wallmart(?) sell the heated hoses. When we first camped in the winter, we went to the local hardware store and they sold a tape stuff to wrap the hose and then plug that into power. Alternatively, you can leave the water run...if that isn't difficult or costly. Just a trickle...moving water doesn't freeze.

Just a thought.

It's not the hose I'm that worried about. The water spigot comes up out of the ground about three feet. If I disconnect the water, it drops down out of the spigot to below the freeze line. But if I leave a hose attached or leave the water on, I might freeze the water in the spigot and crack that. And that I cannot afford to do.

I suppose I could wrap the spigot because there's an electrical outlet outside on the trailer, but I really don't want to add anything else on to my bill in winter. I have only electric heat in winter and I turn it off at night. Even so, my bill is sky high October through April, even with the break I get from the electric company for being an old fart (the qualifications were you had to be a certain age,or be disabled, or be under a certain income. I'm all three, but unfortunately, they don't give you extra brownie points for scoring right across the board).

It's really not that big of a deal. I just like complaining. I have a friend whose Indian name is Runs With Scissors. She told me once I would be named Runs Her Mouth.

Edit to add that I only have to do this when the temp drops to near freezing. That will only happen occasionally during the winter. For instance, it's only going to be this cold for the next 4 nights, I think, and then the rain will move back in and temps will go up again.

Last edited:
It's not the hose I'm that worried about. The water spigot comes up out of the ground about three feet. If I disconnect the water, it drops down out of the spigot to below the freeze line. But if I leave a hose attached or leave the water on, I might freeze the water in the spigot and crack that. And that I cannot afford to do.
DH says, just cover it. As long as the spigot isn't exposed, it won't freeze. Be creative or buy one of the spigot covers (Styrofoam or other), just don't cover it will material that can/will become soaking wet in rain, etc.

Of course, your way works too! And, complain away, sounds like you've earned it! ;)

According to one weather site, only 5 more nights. Another says 3 more nights. One site has the temp getting down to 28 tonight and another has the temp tonight at 34.

Just wrap it with some styrofoam and a bunch of electrical tape, from the ground up including the spigot.
Those pipe heating wires are actually a fantastic deal. They are not prohibitively expensive and most have a thermostat. Meaning they only come on if it drops below 38 or 40 or something like that. But you must check as there are some that do not have it. The electrical price is maybe a penny a day when it is on, A penny a day is still cheaper than having to replace a cracked faucet.

Last night for Gals Night out
BINGO.JPG

I still don't have much of a voice after yet another surgery last Friday, but I crocked out "BINGO" and SMASHED that last needed number. Needless to say the entire hall had a good chuckle. HEY! I WON $275 thank you very much!!! :LOL:

Long day... Not having had a "Gingerbread House Weekend" since 2019 - we are having one this year.
Certainly not as many as when on the farm... but it's a new concept here. Only 6 kids compared to 10/12 previously, don't forget the adults, parents, grandparents and just plain friends - adults alone totaled about 18 if I remember correctly. Have no idea the parent and younger sibling count coming this time as I really don't know any of their friends or school mates.
Back then, I not only made the houses and shopped for the candy but made the entree - others brought salads, vegie sides, etc. Was decided desserts weren't necessary.... d'yuh think! :LOL: But man! what a feast!
The whole day started around 11:30 am and went to about 5:30 pm. So was quite a weekend with at least 2 family's staying overnight.

Spent last night redrawing the templates for the houses. OMG - the old ones stank of stale fats - sooo disgusting.
Had some left-over dough from last years project that never got off the ground. Taste tested a piece - just fine. So got busy today and was able to cut and bake 3.5 houses. Tomorrow will mix up more dough and try to finish baking most of the rest of the stuff.
Not too hopeful of getting it all done, today was my day to pick=up kids and take grandson to speech therapy. Tomorrow I drive them to school and pick 'em up after. Plus... running up and down the stairs with ingredients, baking, mixing... wears me out. Ohhh to have my own kitchen again!

and then my wine guy phones today to say my wine is ready and do I want to come in tomorrow to bottle it.
Ummm.... no, don't think so. :LOL:

Next week, time to make 'glue' and assemble all the houses. Then mix more glue for participants.

Now get this! 2 weeks later I'm going to my brothers for their annual "Gingerbread House" weekend. But I'm not doing diddly-pop other than my own little house and eat my share of the candy. :)

I'm tired and my wine is great.

Back
Top Bottom