What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is not yet noon - and I'm eyeballing the wine bottle! OMG.

Gingerbread building not going so well.
First had difficulty with the dough.
Not happy with candy availability and choices.
Then had difficulty with the icing.
Now trying to glue them all.

All needs to be done by tomorrow. (Saturday)

Haven't been able to figure out why I'm so stressed over the whole thing. I've finally realized that in previous years I had started in late October for dates and who's coming. Then week by week got things done many weeks and many days in advance.

This time, having to find all my notes, templates, recipes all stored in new places from the move, plus who's coming (as in how many). All being done in 2 an'a half weeks. Plus thrown into the works of picking up kids and timing my trips, it's a whole new ball game for me - and LOL I'm not adapting well to the new rules! ARGHH!

Tarnation.... guess that wine will just have to wait...
and I bought mussels the other day (WHY!) and don't think I'm gonna get around to cooking them. :mad:

Oh, dear, @dragnlaw! I for one get the starting waaaaaaay in advance. Breaking things down into easily doable small tasks is THE way. I put reminders on the computer, so I don't forget! Hey, the months do fly by!

Hang in there & don't fret the small stuff. Focus on the most important things...have some fun and enjoy friends and family!

I was looking out the back glass slider door at a pair of robins drinking from the bird bath. Robins. In late fall in the midwest? Very strange.

I was looking out the back glass slider door at a pair of robins drinking from the bird bath. Robins. In late fall in the midwest? Very strange.
What's your weather like? Maybe they know something you don't know ;)

With global climate change, a lot of old patterns in nature are starting to change.

What's your weather like? Maybe they know something you don't know ;)

With global climate change, a lot of old patterns in nature are starting to change.
Yeah, I pay close attention to the behavior of our backyard animals. The squirrels have been exhibiting chasing behaviors, though it's likely just establishing dominance. I have seen them cavorting on the back rail a few times.

Today the high is 47F/8C and the low tonight is 31F/-0.5C. More of the same over the next week or so and then it will dip a little colder (28F/-2C at night). I haven't seen robins since probably September so not sure where they came from. While we are expecting a milder than normal winter, it's a bit early for mating and just unheard of for robins to be hanging out this late in the fall.

OK, so here is another post, written yesterday at about 1pm. just found it now.

Much better now. Once I got that vent out! LOL.

So took a break and did up 1/2 the mussels - in a pernod & cream sauce and yup, even had a glass a wine with it. Fantastic!
Did some more houses = took a nap! Yah!!
Finished the houses.

Just need to make up some icing for the kids tomorrow.
Maybe bake a few little sleighs and trees to help them decorate around their houses - but will see on that one!
and it's only 10 to 5.

Like my grandmother and mother, I polished silver that I know I'll be using over the next few months and year. A pre-Thanksgiving tradition!

On another note, as I am polishing, my sister calls to ask whether I want several pieces that she plans to discard. Her children did not want it. So we went through the pieces and I selected a couple that I can add. She said, "I'll send them to you." I asked, "Polished?" To keep with the rules of the forum, I cannot quote her response, but safe to say she meant 'no." 🤣

We have seen overwintering robins here in south-central MA in the 23 years (23? :shock: ) we've lived here. Not every winter, just some. Same when we lived in OH, about 20 miles south of Cleveland. That's one of the reasons we've planted a crab apple tree at each house that produces small fruits that stay on the tree. We've seen robins feeding from those trees in the dead of winter until the tiny, shriveled fruits are all gone.

Had a rough week.. It started with a mild concussion for me (hence why I didn't post) and now today we had to say goodbye to our 21 year old cat Cheetah. He's passed away from deep vein trombosis in our arms at the vet. Thankfully he only suffered for about 30 minutes prior to the injection. We will miss him a lot :cry:
We did see it coming, he had been doing less and less well since about may this year. So I made sure to spend a lot of time with him and was blessed to have spent time cuddling with him today too before he went. He will be missed.
406836073_6578096242316883_6491756666890338447_n.jpg
(This was him sleeping last week).

I'm so sorry, @Xocolatl! Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like Cheetah had a well-loved and long life. They are never with us long enough. Hold onto the good memories and know that Cheetah is now free from all aches and pains and you will be reunited, one day.

Hugs,
Ginny

I'm so sorry, @Xocolatl! Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like Cheetah had a well-loved and long life. They are never with us long enough. Hold onto the good memories and know that Cheetah is now free from all aches and pains and you will be reunited, one day.

Hugs,
Ginny
The vet complimented us on giving him such good care over the years, so I suppose he was as happy as I wanted him to be. And he didn't suffer for long. It's just difficult that cats always hide their pain until it's far too late, there was nothing left that could be done.

The vet complimented us on giving him such good care over the years, so I suppose he was as happy as I wanted him to be. And he didn't suffer for long. It's just difficult that cats always hide their pain until it's far too late, there was nothing left that could be done.
I once asked a vet about this. Their pain and the ailments. How they tolerate and deal. She told me that animals live in the moment and they accept the way things are. It is amazing to me...from a human standpoint? But, there is certainly something to be said for that way of being!

Beautiful boy!

I'm so sorry @Xocolatl . Cheetah was a handsome boy. Orange boys are such sweeties. Our orange boy was happy to meet anybody who wanted to meet and pet him. He had a very loud purr motor that would start with the first pet.
yeah same with Cheetah ❤️ it's morning now here and that's when he'd always be on my lap. I woke up crying. But I know it's for the best too. They're such treasures!

Back
Top Bottom