What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah same with Cheetah ❤️ it's morning now here and that's when he'd always be on my lap. I woke up crying. But I know it's for the best too. They're such treasures!
I cried when I read your first post. I'm sad for you now, too. Big hugs 😞

I cried when I read your first post. I'm sad for you now, too. Big hugs 😞
It helps that I have had some spiritual experiences in my life that make me believe he's in a better place now. I mean if such a place exists, they would definitely go there. That thought doesn't take away the pain but it makes it more bearable.
We'll get his ash soon and put it on our ancestor altar ❤️

Xocolatl, been absent a bit and have just read this. My heart goes out to you and yours. My cuddly boy has not been doing well either and I keep saying to prepare myself, but it's tough.

Hugs and good memories to you and yours. :heart: :heart:

On Christmas, I got a sort of unwanted surprise - my garbage disposal broke. The breaker plate cracked, and about a quarter sized piece away from it - a rather noisy happening! I can't say that old Kitchen Aid disposal owed me anything, as it was put into my kitchen just over 40 years ago, when I was setting up! I guess it was just ready to go, as I didn't even put anything hard in it (and really never do).

I looked around at everything available at Lowe's and HD, as well as Amazon, and Amazon had better deals, for a model with a 10 year warrantee - the warranties vary greatly, even with higher prices models! It was nice being able to just pick it up off my front porch, too, though I eventually had to go get some plumbing parts, so I had to make a trip.

Getting that old disposal out was harder than putting the new one in! I had to check online for something that had a photo of this old thing - I had sort of figured it out by "feel", and it had a snap ring, like what they have these days, but a neck, with a red piece of plastic on it, to grab it from, didn't really help any. Eventually, I got some Visegrips, and clamped them onto that neck of the snap ring, and used brute force to remove it! It didn't matter if I damaged it, so I didn't care if I did, and it came out, then the old machine dropped out! It weighed probably twice what the new one does! I just cut the wire, then took the DW hose off - one of the large threaded parts to the S-trap must have snapped out, from the weight of the disposal dropping - I thought I had disconnected everything, but I guess not!

I had ordered that Moen model as a "hardwired" model, but it came with a plug anyway, with instructions to hardwire it! So I decided to put a box in, and use the wire! That was not easy for me, but I figured that was a better thing to do, than to hardwire it. I didn't have any single outlet electrical outlets, or receptacle covers - not something I use very often, but didn't want an unused outlet under the sink, so I got those at Lowe's today. It's unbelievable how a single output outlet costs $4.97, while a regular, double outlet is 97¢! Supply and demand...

I had some plumber's putty still, from the last time I used it, many years ago, and it was still good! That's because I put what was left in a vacuum sealed bag, then shoved it back in the container it came in. Had about half of this left - hopefully, it won't be another garbage disposal I'll be using it for! (rofl) I got the idea for this when I had some dry out in the container after not using it for a while, and had to go out and buy more, wasting about 2/3 of the previous container. Like that Gorilla glue - keeps forever, as long as sealed off from the air.

The new one went in fairly easily, until testing for leaks! I finally disassembled the trap, and reassembled it, and it worked that time. That's when I finally turned the circuit breaker back on, and tested the switch, and it worked! And much quieter than that old monster, though I didn't grind anything yet. Still no signs of any leaking, and I'm leaving it open until tomorrow, then I'll replace all those cleaning things I keep on that sliding shelf. I also want to figure out a way to elevate that DW hose, keep it up when sliding the shelf - maybe use some of those cable ties.
About a half cup of plumber's putty, vacuum sealed until needed again. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finally finished putting the new disposer in the kitchen, about 9:30 pm. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Fortunately, no work to do in the garden now. Even if there was, I think I'd take a break from it.

I'm not only impressed with that but with your whole job there. Well done Sir!

Is that a second groove I see, on both sides, just about the bottom of the outlet. Another shelf for above the sliding out one below?

And personally, as ugly as it would look, I'd wrap a plastic bag around the outlet, with no seams at the top. Mainly because it is not a GFCI outlet, and I worry about things like that in kitchens and bathrooms.

Thanks, dragn, and about that GFCI, the circuit breaker is a GFCI - something I did way back when I put the original in, since it was hard-wired, which they all were back then. And that groove was something for that cabinet if it was sold as a regular cabinet, not a sink cabinet, they would have put a shelf on it, then a back on it.

GG, That shelf I refinished, years ago, when some cleaner leaked out, and it was not a pretty sight! You can see some of the black left from it, back in the corner, but I cleaned it out, and sanded it flat, then I coated it, top and bottom with some of that epoxy finish - some of that 2 part stuff they often use on bar tops. The top part I put a second coat on, and if anything spills or leaks in it, it just wipes clean.

Last edited:
And personally, as ugly as it would look, I'd wrap a plastic bag around the outlet, with no seams at the top. Mainly because it is not a GFCI outlet, and I worry about things like that in kitchens and bathrooms.
It's in the back under the kitchen sink. It's not going to be visible very often, unless you can't get it out of your mind 😁

I held that DW hose onto the trap, and pulled the shelf out, and it just missed the back of the hose, so I took one of those cable ties, and attached it. Then I ran a half-load of dishes (didn't have enough for a full load, and I didn't want to wait!), to test that part of it for leaking, and there were no problems, so I loaded the shelf up again, and hopefully that's the end of it!
The upper part of that DW hose I hooked to the trap, with a cable tie, and the upper part of the back of the shelf just misses it! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The shelf, pulled all the way out, loaded back up again. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The loaded shelf pushed back in, ready to close the cabinet - last step finally! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I tried a different way to use up some bits & pieces that I had leftover after putting together another dish.
IMG_3483.JPG
I had some Pasta Shells and some cooked Italian Sausage.
I added some shredded Mozz, Parm and jarred Marinara to create a filling.
Stuffed the Shells, poured some sauce in a dish to ensure no stickage and topped it all off with more Mozz and Parm, baked all until it was bubbly and that for a wonderful meal.
I'll do that again!

I made some leek and potato soup with some leeks that I bought already sliced and washed. that saved a bunch of time. And, considering how much of a leek you usually have to throw away, this seems to be a bargain. It worked well in the soup, but I might want to add a bit extra leek. They may be a bit wimpier in flavour. I used half the package and put the other half in the freezer to see if that would work.

It's garbage collection tomorrow (anytime between 07h00 and 16h00) and I really don't want to go out in the -14°C windchill and snowy, slippery looking conditions we have to take it out tonight. I know I won't be awake in time to get it out in the morning. I think I will skip it and hope we have weather on Wednesday evening that is more conducive to walking around outside.

Up early, as usual!

I put on a small pot of minestrone soup to use up various odds and ends.

2 cups beef flavored broth
1 cup baked beans from the freezer
1/2 cup frozen mirepoix
1/4 cup frozen pearl onions
1/4 cup frozen peas
2 chopped Baby Bella mushrooms
1/2 cup Wegman’s hot chunky salsa*
2 T rice
1/4 cup small shell soup pasta
A shake or two of Italian seasoning, cayenne, S&P.

Simmer 15 minutes.

* Using bottled salsa when I need a small amount of tomato product is a tip that I learned from my hero, Jacques Pepin. The salsa works great in soup, chili, etc…

I am laying in bed, wide awake, just like a little kid on Christmas Eve. We'll be meeting the movers with our truck of stuff at our new home at about 8:30 AM. I am going to be sooo tired tomorrow evening. With no internet at the new place, and no TV service until Himself sets it up, our Sunday plan is to lay around Loverly's and snoze through football games. Maybe go home to sleep and wake up Monday in our new digs. Sleep, I need sleep! o_O

I am laying in bed, wide awake, just like a little kid on Christmas Eve. We'll be meeting the movers with our truck of stuff at our new home at about 8:30 AM. I am going to be sooo tired tomorrow evening. With no internet at the new place, and no TV service until Himself sets it up, our Sunday plan is to lay around Loverly's and snoze through football games. Maybe go home to sleep and wake up Monday in our new digs. Sleep, I need sleep! o_O
Pssst...Ya get to change you "location" in your profile!!
smileys-happy-008211.gif

Back
Top Bottom