What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks, princess. it sure has.

and that's excellent advice and and addie. thank you both, again.

my wife has done the real share of the work with him, but is also fairly strict. maybe a little too much at times, so i try to take it a little easier with him, be a little more goofy and silly to help balance things out.

lol, i got the better role come to think of it. :D

We actually have a whole day off. It doesn't happen very often. Not sure what to even do today. Planning to go to an etheopian grocery store to buy some good tea, maybe some rummage sales.

what fun! instead of one bottle of wine for cooking, i brought home 8 miniature size bottles of beringer's pinot grigio, red moscato, and white zinfandel. at $1 per bottle, they contain about a cup of wine each. i've been going berserk, spilling wine lavishly on every imaginable dish from breakfast on throughout the day and into the night. frankly, in recent years i had restricted my use of wines in cooking due to the cost. spoilage and waste were hindrances, and drinking up unused wine had become the usual but unsatisfactory salvage solution.

with my little mini-bottles i find myself cooking like a young julia child once again--experimenting with free abandon! :)

i just haven't found a good use for the zinfandel so far...any ideas? it just sits there, kind of nondescript in most every dish i try....maybe with some kind of fruit? thanks....

thanks, princess. it sure has.

and that's excellent advice and and addie. thank you both, again.

my wife has done the real share of the work with him, but is also fairly strict. maybe a little too much at times, so i try to take it a little easier with him, be a little more goofy and silly to help balance things out.

lol, i got the better role come to think of it. :D

BT, one of the things I have found raising two gifted children of my own and one granddaughter, is to let them explore. They have minds that want to know the "W"'s. What, Where When, Why. And the last is of course How!. And their minds won't rest until they have the answer. My youngest son was placed in a science class for advanced third grade students when he was in the first grade. And he loved it. They got to do experiments with real lab equipment. From there, there was no stopping him. He read every book he could get his hands on from the library that was of science related material. My kitchen became a science lab. My oldest one received a carpenter's tool set when he was three years old. What a mistake that was. He proceeded to cut the legs off the brand new table set he and his sister had received for Christmas. So his father brought home some scrap wood from the lumber yard up the street. He pounded nails, sawed, learned to measure, etc. It was the start of owning his own contracting company. He went to work with my BIL at the age of fourteen on weekends. He learned plumbing, electricity, etc. By the time my BIL retired, my son took over and to this day is still doing work for the same customers. The residents in this building have at one time or another, called him and know his work well.

So don't stop his inquisitiveness. Let him explore the world around him. Take walks in the woods and let him turn over logs to see what is growing and living underneath. Introduce him to the local library. Find out what subjects he is studying in his advanced class. Which subject does he enjoy most. Help him to follow up at the library and at home. A gifted child will challenge you to no end. But watching them blossom will fill you with such pride that there will be days that you think you will explode. But the most important thing to remember is to let him know you are aware of his special talents and appreciate him and his efforts to learn more. And look at all the things you will learn.

I taught my youngest to read at three not with books and flash cards, but in the world outside our home. It started with the S T O P sign at the end of our road. Then Schoold Bus, and other signs in the neighborhood. Houses built of "wood" became a word. "Bricks" another. The world around you in your own neighborhood is full of information if you just look around. He learned the alphabet and counting going up and down steps and counting the pickets on a fence. When we would be waiting for a bus, I would spell a word I knew he knew and he had to tell me what it was. I made a game out of learning. It was fun for both of us. :)

I caught up on all the sleep I missed the night before and while I still have side and throat issues feel so much better for it!

We had an enjoyable evening with DH's brother and the meal turned out very well. The best part is I went and laid down after dinner for a couple of hours and when I got up, expecting to tackle a huge mess, I found the guys had done it all for me! :)

Today a neighbour is coming to look at Dad's bedroom furniture so I will be making sure it is all empty and clean. It will be nice to see this go to a "good home" - a single Mom with two girls. DH will be looking forward to this too as the room is going to become his "Man Cave" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Then I get to "play". I am heading to a local cake supply store to pick up a few items needed to experiment with sugar flowers and with DH working an afternoon shift at the care home, I will spend the evening working on that.

I'm getting ready to go visit my bf in St. Cloud!! I have to go to work first, drop my cat off at my mom's but then I'll be on my way! Yay!

Sitting in the car at a car show.....it's raining off and on argh! It was supposed to be warm and dry here today, we drove 300 miles yesterday to come to two car shows here in "the desert" haha!

image-3109365095.jpg

Addie said:
Sounds like a fun weekend. Enjoy! :)

Thanks :) I'm sure I will. We're going disc golfing, a little white water canoeing, of course going out to a nice dinner at least one night, setting the projection machine up outside for a movie/BBQ with the neighbors (who mike has known for 30 years), and then probably some more disc golf lol

I'm trying to figure out my new, portable disk drive. I have to decide if I want it to do continuous backups or if I just want to copy stuff onto it. Probably the latter, but the instructions are confusing. 75 pages of PDF manual! I have had it for about two months and just didn't get around to doing anything with it.

This has become important because earlier, when I rebooted the desk top machine, it gave me all kinds of scary messages about a corrupted file system. I had Stirling look at it and he said the boot disk might be borked. Eventually he turned off the machine; waited a few minutes; and turned it back on. It worked, but, of course, now I am concerned about the health of that disk drive.

Okay, enough procrastinating, it's time to backup that hard drive.

Watching Lawrence Welk and supervising (providing helpful suggestions) to my galley 'slave'.

I guess we have one thing in common, Lawrence Welk!

When that ends I can watch the tired old reruns of Keeping Up Appearances and Are You Being Served.

I love those 70's Britcoms!

Another wild Saturday night at my place! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm trying to figure out my new, portable disk drive. I have to decide if I want it to do continuous backups or if I just want to copy stuff onto it. Probably the latter, but the instructions are confusing. 75 pages of PDF manual! I have had it for about two months and just didn't get around to doing anything with it.

This has become important because earlier, when I rebooted the desk top machine, it gave me all kinds of scary messages about a corrupted file system. I had Stirling look at it and he said the boot disk might be borked. Eventually he turned off the machine; waited a few minutes; and turned it back on. It worked, but, of course, now I am concerned about the health of that disk drive.

Thanks for your post. It reminded me to do an incremental weekly backup of my critical data. I'm running under Vista 'Ultimate' on my main machine but use Win '98, Win 7 and Win XP- SP3 on my other machines. The way I figure it, the data is about the only thing that requires frequent backup; since I hope to be able to process that data on my other machines when the main machine's disk fails. In the old days ( back in 1995), this was referred to as a disaster recovery plan and I had the 'pleasure' of participating with such planning with an organization that was housed in the North tower of the World Trade Center in NYC.

went to 7 rummage sales today. It was so hot with htis 91F weather we're having today. Soaked some corn on the cob with plans to put it on the grill with a beer can chicken. Relaxing with a cold one on a hot night.

I guess we have one thing in common, Lawrence Welk!

When that ends I can watch the tired old reruns of Keeping Up Appearances and Are You Being Served.

I love those 70's Britcoms!

Another wild Saturday night at my place! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
IMHO, Hyacinth is not nearly as funny as her husband, sister, and brother-in-law, but she seems to have many of the qualities of some of this forum's posters:LOL:.

Last edited:
Alix said:
Frisbee golf. You toss frisbees at particular targets and count how many tries to hit the target.

Right, except that Frisbee is a brand of discs :) It's great exercise because the best courses are all up and down hill. It's actually how my bf and I met- on the disc golf course!

I keep thinking that if you backup continuously, you'd end up backing up any problems/viruses you may get later on. I'd backup on a regular basis when everything is working well.

Back
Top Bottom