"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #16801
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I quit bothering with makeup when I noticed it made me look older. Eye shadow just showed off the fact that my eyelids look like crepe. Actually, I hadn't noticed they looked like that until I put on eye shadow one day. Life is simpler without makeup.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #16802
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I quit worrying about make-up when Shrek told me to stop worrying about make-up.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #16803
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Thanks for that story Addie. I needed something to keep me from eating...

About to slap a bit of make-up on my face so as to not scare the public, then head to the library to pick up a couple DVDs waiting for me. After I get back Himself and I are headed to Lowe's to pick up a new shower diverter valve so he can fix my shower. Only half the water is going from the faucet to the shower head when I throw the switch. I'm starting to get tired of showering under a dribble, and I really don't like taking a shower in his shower stall for ALL kinds of reasons. After Lowe's we'll probably stop at Aldi's to pick up a few things. Since they moved into the area a few years back I've been able to shop there again when we're near one. There was one in our city back home so we didn't go too far, but the quality back then wasn't anywhere near as good as it's become over the years. I've noticed a big difference in flavor and texture now. Bonus: Himself likes their Cheerio knock-off way better than Cherios and they're about half the price.
Glad to be of help anytime.

Himself is taking you to Lowes? Uh Oh!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #16804
Chef Extraordinaire

I got a phone call from Winthrop a short while ago. It seems that our building management notified them that the elevator will be out of commission for about three hours tomorrow. So they called me to let me know that my pickup time has been moved back to 11 a.m. instead of nine. Fine by me! I can get dressed, and then laydown to take a nap. Time for my monthly vitals. A ten minute event. I think I am going to bring my needlework with me and spend the day. It makes them happy when they see me socialize. And besides, I always give the women at the knitting table a gentle back scratch and rub when I spend the day. It is my RAK. Can't get too rambunctious. Fragile bones and black and blue marks run amok on all of them.

I used to be able to upload my meter readings right into my computer. Then I could fax them right to Winthrop from my printer. But it seems that my new One Touch is not compatible with Windows Seven yet. So I had to set up an Excel spreadsheet and enter them manually. PIMA! One of these days I will have to call One Touch and find out if they have solved the problem yet.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #16805
Honey Badger

Admiring while dusting it.A 1915 or 1916 Singer sewing machine.The kind where the machine drops down tucks inside the desk.
I love the intricate carving details of the drawers. Our butcher just had it dropped off at my house.You could have knocked me over with a feather. Wasn't expecting that.It belonged to his Grandmother.She was the only one who ever owned or used it.I just called him to thank him for the gift. He instead thanked me for accepting it.He was particular with who got it.As he put it.The machine needs to be owned by a sole person, who would appreciate it. Take care of it.
Just got the bobbin plate opened. It actually has thread still in it.
Now I just need to read up on how to properly clean it up. So far she's cleaning up pretty.

Munky.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #16806
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Admiring while dusting it.A 1915 or 1916 Singer sewing machine.The kind where the machine drops down tucks inside the desk.
I love the intricate carving details of the drawers. Our butcher just had it dropped off at my house.You could have knocked me over with a feather. Wasn't expecting that.It belonged to his Grandmother.She was the only one who ever owned or used it.I just called him to thank him for the gift. He instead thanked me for accepting it.He was particular with who got it.As he put it.The machine needs to be owned by a sole person, who would appreciate it. Take care of it.
Just got the bobbin plate opened. It actually has thread still in it.
Now I just need to read up on how to properly clean it up. So far she's cleaning up pretty.

Munky.
Nice Munky! We will need a picture.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #16807
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Neato Munky. Yes, we need pix. Is it hand crank? Treadle? Electric?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #16808
Honey Badger

It would be as it is pic. It's been in storage for 20+ years.
They only just found it when they had to move things to repair a leaky roof.
My youngest is looking a little bored. I'll see if he will get a pic of it here in just a few.

Taxy, haven't had the time to find out exactly what it is. Lot's of cast iron. Says SINGER at the bottom base. This machine was meant to go in my house. It looks and matches this room perfectly.
The wheels actually still roll.WOW!

Munky.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #16809
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That's so cool, Munky! My grandma had a couple of treadle Singers, similar sounding to yours, drop down and all. I learned to sew on one.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #16810
Honey Badger

Here's Roughy,
Serial # G4220109

My craft area is a chaotic well managed mess. The table in the back is my last sewing table that was my MIL's that I had redone,modified.