"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #16811
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Ooh, pretty.

I love all the pretty leaves and decorative design elements on the machine. Can you imagine anyone doing that nowadays?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #16812
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nice! Grandma's didn't have the surrounding wood cabinet, the machine turned upside down and dropped down, as I recall the stand was all cast iron.

You have a real treasure, and they sewed really well. Loved the treadle.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #16813
Honey Badger

Ohhh, so it's a treadle.

For something that's been sitting for so long everything seems to be moving smoothly. I'll have to do some digging to find some needles for it. How one that's pristine looks like. I think Singer has manuals for it. Still not sure what the front fold down drawer is for.It has 3 separate compartments.

My husband's going to have a fit when he sees this."Another new project?"
Even if it never works again.It's awesome to look at.

Munky.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #16814
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Munky, you really need to try sewing with it. There's something soothing and almost hypnotic about a treadle machine. You control the speed, and can make it go as fast or slow as you want. It stops on a dime. You should be able to use standard needles, as I recall, it's a screw mechanism that locks the needle in.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #16815
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Munky, you really need to try sewing with it. There's something soothing and almost hypnotic about a treadle machine. You control the speed, and can make it go as fast or slow as you want. It stops on a dime. You should be able to use standard needles, as I recall, it's a screw mechanism that locks the needle in.
The needle part sounds like I remember from old hand crank and electric Singers.

I tried a treadle sewing machine once. I couldn't get it going. It just kept going forwards and backwards. I was told you have to spin the balance wheel to get it going. I had to look up what that big round wheel on the opposite end from the head is called.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #16816
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The needle part sounds like I remember from old hand crank and electric Singers.

I tried a treadle sewing machine once. I couldn't get it going. It just kept going forwards and backwards. I was told you have to spin the balance wheel to get it going. I had to look up what that big round wheel on the opposite end from the head is called.
You tip your feet forward to make it go forward, and backward to backstitch. Just keep on rockin' the treadle!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #16817
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...Himself is taking you to Lowes? Uh Oh!
Yup, he did! I love Lowes! Would rather go there than any other store. Well, except Bed Bath and Beyond or any other kitchen goodies store. (Usually) like to grocery shop too.

Unfortunately, they didn't seem to have the exact part Himself was looking for. Tomorrow we head to a plumbing supply house! So much better than Macys...
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #16818
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Ohhh, so it's a treadle.

For something that's been sitting for so long everything seems to be moving smoothly. I'll have to do some digging to find some needles for it. How one that's pristine looks like. I think Singer has manuals for it. Still not sure what the front fold down drawer is for.It has 3 separate compartments.

My husband's going to have a fit when he sees this."Another new project?"
Even if it never works again.It's awesome to look at.

Munky.
Oh My! You have my Mom's treadle machine! Her's looked just like that. I gave it away when we were cleaning out the folks' home because the drawers were a bit stuck - poor thing had been in the basement when we had a flood. Enjoy playing with it. IIRC, the front drawer was used by Mom for embroidery scissors, thimbles, and a small pin cushion.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:57 PM   #16819
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Yup, he did! I love Lowes! Would rather go there than any other store. Well, except Bed Bath and Beyond or any other kitchen goodies store. (Usually) like to grocery shop too.

Unfortunately, they didn't seem to have the exact part Himself was looking for. Tomorrow we head to a plumbing supply house! So much better than Macys...
I should have Shrek take me to Lowe's and I can grab a motor cart and wander to hearts delight.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #16820
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We had to go with a new garbage pickup service. Our subdivision has had real issues with our current service, they're supposed to pick up trash every week, but for the last few months have averaged about 4 times due to truck breakdown, yadayadayada. Not too much a problem for us as we don't accumulate much trash, but they're not doing what they're paid to do.

Anyway, the new service delivered our new garbage can today, and it still has that new garbage can smell! And it is big enough to house a family of 4, I wouldn't be surprised to find a homeless person living in it.

We recycle almost everything, so I'm trying to come up with something we can put in the new huge garbage can.