"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #16821
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I quit worrying about make-up when Shrek told me to stop worrying about make-up.
Do you do every thing he says?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:00 AM   #16822
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We had to go with a new garbage pickup service. Our subdivision has had real issues with our current service....Anyway, the new service delivered our new garbage can today, and it still has that new garbage can smell! And it is big enough to house a family of 4, I wouldn't be surprised to find a homeless person living in it.

We recycle almost everything, so I'm trying to come up with something we can put in the new huge garbage can.
Where we live, each house has to hire it's own trash hauler. With just two of us we don't have much either, so we're able to get ours picked up every other week. If they let us do once a month we STILL wouldn't be able to fill that danged garbage cart. We also have a same-sized recycling cart. It ALWAYS has more in it that the garbage one. As a cool bonus, our service participates in a program called "Recycle Rewards". We get points for our recyclables based on frequency (every pick-up? every other?) and weight, then get points based on volume. The points can be redeemed for things, similar to a credit card points program. I just got two, one-year magazine subscriptions for points! When I redeem some for a Ruby Tuesday BOGO coupon I tell Himself we're going out to eat our garbage.

I'm finishing up my second-from-the-last Great Lakes Brewing Christmas Ale. Gonna miss that when I finish it off next time...

Old 01-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #16823
Executive Chef

My husband likes make-up. I don't wear a lot, just a touch. When I don't have makeup on I look totally washed out, and I look exactly like my mother, which is scary when I look in the mirror as she has been gone for 34 years. I rarely wear eye shadow for the same reason as others have mentioned. It's not for old eyes. LOL

I have to make an Aldi's run this morning. I have certain thngs that I buy there because they are exactly like brand, or better, but cost much less. I too use the generic Cheerios. Cheerios have been part of my diet as far back as I can remember, which is about to age 4.

We will also stop in Home Depot, which is next door to Aldi's. We are buying 2 safety bars for in the tub/shower. That makes it official...I am now officially an old lady, needing safety bars in the shower. Better be safe than sorry!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #16824
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Do you do every thing he says?
When it comes to something that's a PITA! Yes!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #16825
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Oh My! You have my Mom's treadle machine! Her's looked just like that. I gave it away when we were cleaning out the folks' home because the drawers were a bit stuck - poor thing had been in the basement when we had a flood. Enjoy playing with it. IIRC, the front drawer was used by Mom for embroidery scissors, thimbles, and a small pin cushion.
Your Mom had the "Red Eye" We have drops for them now.Kidding!!!

Well now isn't that a nifty place to keep the essentials handy? The things you learn around here. Clever place.
Here I was thinking of it as another Oreo's & M&M's stash place. My other spots have been found.Getting desperate now.

I do need to buy a treadle belt.Amazon has them cheap.Luckily where the needle inserts screws in is intact. I might have to take it in and have the presser foot looked at.It's rusted frozen in it's current position.The screw won't budge at all.The handle that raises it is also rusted.

It's still one cool machine.

Munky.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #16826
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Have you tried penetrating oil to loosen up rusted bits? Stuff actually labelled "penetrating oil" works better than WD-40, which might be good enough.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #16827
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yes, I was thinking a wire brush, a Dremel if you have one, and some WD40. Penetrating oil would be good to sit overnight.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #16828
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My husband likes make-up. I don't wear a lot, just a touch. When I don't have makeup on I look totally washed out, and I look exactly like my mother, which is scary when I look in the mirror as she has been gone for 34 years. I rarely wear eye shadow for the same reason as others have mentioned. It's not for old eyes. LOL

I have to make an Aldi's run this morning. I have certain things that I buy there because they are exactly like brand, or better, but cost much less. I too use the generic Cheerios. Cheerios have been part of my diet as far back as I can remember, which is about to age 4.

We will also stop in Home Depot, which is next door to Aldi's. We are buying 2 safety bars for in the tub/shower. That makes it official...I am now officially an old lady, needing safety bars in the shower. Better be safe than sorry!
Carol, of course our apartments here come with safety bars. But what I needed most were two things. I had Spike get me a sliding bar with a handheld adjustable shower head. So easy to install. Being so short, the shower head is so high that if I wanted to adjust it, I had to climb up on the sides of the tub. It is adjustable to go up and down for different heights of people.

The second thing was a safety bar just outside the tub. It is rather short and installed in a vertical position. It gives me something to hold onto with my hand as I step over the edge of the tub. When HUD came to inspect the property last year they saw it and liked the idea so much that they ordered Management and Maintenance to install a bar right outside the tub in ALL the apartments. It really does give you a sense of security and safety.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #16829
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Admiring while dusting it.A 1915 or 1916 Singer sewing machine.The kind where the machine drops down tucks inside the desk.
I love the intricate carving details of the drawers. Our butcher just had it dropped off at my house.You could have knocked me over with a feather. Wasn't expecting that.It belonged to his Grandmother.She was the only one who ever owned or used it.I just called him to thank him for the gift. He instead thanked me for accepting it.He was particular with who got it.As he put it.The machine needs to be owned by a sole person, who would appreciate it. Take care of it.
Just got the bobbin plate opened. It actually has thread still in it.
Now I just need to read up on how to properly clean it up. So far she's cleaning up pretty.

Munky.
As a 12 y.o. I learned to sew on an old Singer treadle machine. I loved the rhythm of the treadle.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #16830
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I stopped worrying about scaring the public a long time ago!..
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I quit bothering with makeup when I noticed it made me look older....
I use only three items. Four if you count my lip balm. If I don't cover my couple of dark spots I feel old. I know I AM old, but most days I don't feel my age. I feel better about ME if I present a tidy face: concealer, a light dusting of powder, and a hint of blush. I can tell how very tired I am by how quickly the color fades from my blusher. Some days I put it on, then half an hour later you can't even tell. Then again, I don't really want to go out of the house looking like a friend of Clarabelle...