"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #16841
Executive Chef

Yesterday we went to Home Depot (similar to Lowes) for the safety bars. We left there and stopped at my step-daughters to drop off some chicken soup I made. Then we came home. Getting out of the car I reached down to pick up my purse and it wasn't there. I then realized I left it in the car at Home Depot. It's 2-3 miles from our house. We started back and DH said "It's gone. You're not getting it back." But being the honest person I am, I thought someone honest might have found it. I was right. They had it, and everything was still in it. I left the cart inside the store right next to the check-out. If I had left it in the cart out in the parking lot the results might have been different.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #16842
Executive Chef

Addie, DH bought a shower chair at a flea market several years ago, even though neither of us needed it. It really came in handy after I had my heart surgery, at which time he also installed a new shower head that you can unhook and can be used as a hand held. He put a removable bar on the side of the tub, too. We still have all that stuff even though we don't use the chair or bar anymore. When I get out of the shower I have a habit of holding onto the towel bar, which would just come crashing down if I did slip. So these safety bars will be so much better!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #16843
Chef Extraordinaire

My girlfriend's father in Atlanta is in his 90's and goes to work every day. He had body odor so bad that she was trying to stay out of his office as much as she could. He had stopped taking showers. I told her to get safety bars installed in his shower with a fold down seat. She did it the next day. Now he takes a shower every day. He no longer felt secure in the shower and was afraid of falling. And I know the feeling very well. I really needed something to hold onto as I step out of the tub. And there were no safety bars at that end of the tub. the fear of falling when you are all alone is a fear for every elderly person.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #16844
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've tried either CLR or Lime-Away. It works, but it also took the plating off some metal on the now-replaced tub spout. The vinegar works wonderfully if you aren't in a hurry, which I wasn't. And I make sure I rinse it out really good so I don't smell like a pickle. Actually, I did end up with a taste for pickles! Luckily, we had a jar of Claussen in the fridge.
Really! Ice cream too? *snicker*

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #16845
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

Really! Ice cream too? *snicker*
No, Z, no ice cream! :-D
Old 01-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #16846
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm waiting for the email money transfer that I sent from an account at one bank to myself, so I can deposit it in an account at a different bank. This is supposed to be "instant". Yes, I've checked my spam folder.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #16847
Master Chef

It's 11pm and I'm waiting for Frank to come back home from Italy.
He still hasn't found a flat yet and don't want to stay in the hotel over the weekend, so he decided to come home again.
9h drive to be here until sunday noon... but I'm glad he's coming
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #16848
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
It's 11pm and I'm waiting for Frank to come back home from Italy.
He still hasn't found a flat yet and don't want to stay in the hotel over the weekend, so he decided to come home again.
9h drive to be here until sunday noon... but I'm glad he's coming
Are you moving to Italy cara?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #16849
Master Chef

No, he's going alone.. :-(
He got a very good job there and that was his chance.
My Italian is as good as yours I think, so I won't be able to find a job, that's why I stay here..
I'll continue to learn that language and maybe some day I'll follow... or maybe he comes back, shortly before "death by powerpoint" ;o)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #16850
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
No, he's going alone.. :-(
He got a very good job there and that was his chance.
My Italian is as good as yours I think, so I won't be able to find a job, that's why I stay here..
I'll continue to learn that language and maybe some day I'll follow... or maybe he comes back, shortly before "death from powerpoint" ;o)
I know enough Italian to get my face slapped. LOL. We have very good friends in Mahlberg. He is from Follonica and has tried to teach me Italian. They go back there every year for a couple of weeks and we have gone with them several time. So far all I have learned is ordering a meal and asking where the bathroom is. :-)