"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #16851
Master Chef

that I could do, too ;o)

Mahlberg in G? Wich one?

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #16852
Sous Chef

Mahlberg am Schwartzwald in Baden-Württemberg. Do you know where Europapark is in Rust? Mrs D is from Grafenhausen a couple of towns from Rust. Mahlberg is another couple of towns from there.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #16853
Proud American

I'm writing a little poem about my precious Betta. I miss her, and I know she is just a fish, but to me she wasn't just a fish. She was a sweet soul who always watched me at the computer.

It sounds silly, but I'm writing about her and missing her and feeling very sad.

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #16854
Certified Cake Maniac

Cat, what colour was your Beta? My last one was dark pink or magenta. I had never seen one like that before. And she wasn't just a fish she was your pet.

I am still busy crocheting my niece's scarf and watching Blue Bloods. Monkey is curled up on a blanket beside my chair. Once in awhile, she jumps up for a rub or to try and grab my yarn!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:17 AM   #16855
Chef Extraordinaire

[QUOTE=LPBeier;1336146]I am off to my appointment with the surgeon regarding my abdominal pain. I am really hoping something can be done. I am eating next to nothing, and when I do eat the smallest bit of fat I am in pain.[/QUO
I am sorry to hear of your pain. I will keep you in my prayers for comfort & peace during this difficult time.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:25 AM   #16856
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
How did you get stuck with this chore?
We started it 4 years ago. We had a great place we used to use until they decided to close up. Want to keep the whole family together at least once a year for a fun long weekend. Once we get a place it's nice to re connect with everyone. It just seems to take a lot more this year to get it all together.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:47 AM   #16857
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Mahlberg am Schwartzwald in Baden-Württemberg. Do you know where Europapark is in Rust? Mrs D is from Grafenhausen a couple of towns from Rust. Mahlberg is another couple of towns from there.
I thought it must be that one - the others are just small villages..
I know there is a Europa Park somewhere in the south in the Oberrhein-Region, but I have no idea where Rust is...
hey, I'm from the North, you can ask me about Heide Park or Hansa Park ;o)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-18-2014, 03:14 AM   #16858
Chef Extraordinaire

During my working days, I was sound asleep by ten p.m. and up at six a.m. without an alarm. I always had my clothes ready for the next day. I was out the door and on my way to my day. I had a set routine that I enjoyed.

Today I have no routine. No even one that is enough to tire me so that I sleep throughout the night. So here I sit at three a.m. wide awake and doing laundry. I miss my routine. I miss being able to go the whole day being active enough to really accomplish something, or finish a chore to completion without having to sit and stop several times.

Retirement sucks! I don't like it. I was never one to look forward to it. My plan was to work until I was 72 and then retire. I am not sure what the law is now, but at the time of my planning, they stopped taking SS out of your wages, and you could collect your SS check without penalties. So if I decided to take a temporary job after 72, there would be no penalties. I wanted to do volunteer work with the Boston Symphony and Boston Ballet when I finally retired. That way I would be able to attend all their performances for free. But I got hit with several serious health problems all at the same time. So much for my plans for retirement. Instead of going to the ballet, I was going to the operating room. Instead of listening to a symphony, I was hearing my instructions for my next surgery.

Back to my needlework. I am wide awake.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:44 AM   #16859
Master Chef

Addie,
it's always sad if plans don't work as you wanted, but unfortunately that's life...

Here in G it's already middle of the morning, Frank is under the shower (he arrived around half eleven the night) and then we have to see what we do...
maybe visit the market or any other nice things.
None of our friends is in town this weekend, must be some sort of travel weekend - so we will enjoy the time for us ;o)
Old 01-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #16860
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
Addie,
it's always sad if plans don't work as you wanted, but unfortunately that's life...

Here in G it's already middle of the morning, Frank is under the shower (he arrived around half eleven the night) and then we have to see what we do...
maybe visit the market or any other nice things.
None of our friends is in town this weekend, must be some sort of travel weekend - so we will enjoy the time for us ;o)
Cara, I really shouldn't complain. One of my most serious health problems was a very large ulcer on my leg. I had no circulation at all. Every doctor that looked at it the first words that came out of their mouth, is "This leg needs to be amputated immediately." They all knew that to solve the problem was to solve the circulation problem first. I finally smartened up and changed hospitals. Within two weeks of seeing my new doctor, the circulation problem was solved and my leg started to heal on its own. But they knew that it would be a months long process. So the plastic surgeon cleared her schedule and took me to the OR the next day and put a graft on it. Today I still have my leg. I told her all I wanted to do was to be able to dance five steps with my son at his wedding.

I danced with my son, the DJ, all male relatives, and any other male in the room. The next day I couldn't even move my leg. I spent the day in bed. The muscles were so sore. They hadn't been used for more than a year.

Every so often my leg will ache and my mantra is "I hate my leg, I hate my leg, I hate my leg. I still have my leg. Thank you God and Dr. Miller."

I may hate retirement, but I still have my leg. And I can run with it, dance and do a lot of things I couldn't when it was a wide open festering sore. :I love my leg! angel: